National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Best Rugby Grounds in the World

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Rugby Grounds in the World
    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 17:07
Two Championship clubs appear on the list - 1 on the lost grounds and the other in the current.

Edited by The Blues - 19 Apr 2020 at 17:08
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 17:44
Unmissable? I still miss it terribly.
Our City,
Our Club
Ex Coach View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 18:29
I always used to love cov v moseley on Boxing  Day in the good old days always a cracking  game and a virtual sell out and then the Tigers v the Barbarians on the next day. They were proper Christmases sadly never likely to return 
Colin
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 18:34
I have been to a few and my absolute favourite was Tynedale (Jersey won by lots & GT got sent off) followed by a night on the Toon closely followed by Ayr which was genuinely gorgeous. The bar at Roth with Iron & Steel on tap is unforgettable although in all honesty the ground was naff but the banter brilliant. Mose pre-Christmas and a curry in Brum afterwards sound good but so does a beer in the Dock in Penzance & Jersey beating Pirates by a point or two. Keep safe all.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 19:18
Glad they did that bonus at the bottom because it's about proper rugby grounds, not corporate BS.

Putting T*ttenham's stadium in there is a crime because its only hosted 1(?) rugby match and its suddenly amoung the best for rugby. I've been there and it is just so soulless and corporate.

I wish they actually focussed it on real rugby grounds, not professional bull
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 20:46
What about Hull v KR on Boxing Day? Nowadays the
'new' KCOM stadium takes some beating.

For most pleasant enjoyable ground, I nominate Loftus Versfeld.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 22:31
Originally posted by isleonian isleonian wrote:

Preferred The Boulevard, but I certainly prefer Craven Park to the KC.
Our City,
Our Club
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 22:40
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by isleonian isleonian wrote:

Preferred The Boulevard, but I certainly prefer Craven Park to the KC.

Well said Kimbo. KC is a Footbal stadium. No atmosphere. 
Can't believe any list of best rugby grounds that doesn't include Cross Green, Otley or the Avenue, Wharfedale.
And of course, Brantingham Park on a sunny day is an absolute pleasure.

All Knwoing All Seeing
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 08:09
Very fond memories of my trip to Wharfedale [ article from then link HERE if anyone's interested ]. Would love to go back, and might try & get to Tynedale as well...
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 08:28
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Very fond memories of my trip to Wharfedale [ article from then link HERE if anyone's interested ]. Would love to go back, and might try & get to Tynedale as well...<div id="ypm-extension" ="ypm-extension">

Would agree had some great trips stayed at The Old Hall Inn at Threshfield the landlord at the time was very involved with the Club and used to give us a lift to the ground had some great times.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 10:14
Lost stadiums, College Grove Wakefield.  Cry
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 11:52
Anyone for Pandy Park, home of Cross Keys?  Deep in a green valley, sheltered from the noise of the local traffic, and with trains passing over a nearby viaduct every half hour.  The beer could be better, and bits of the stadium need some TLC, but overall a lovely day out.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 12:31
Originally posted by CJB1 CJB1 wrote:

Anyone for Pandy Park, home of Cross Keys?  Deep in a green valley, sheltered from the noise of the local traffic, and with trains passing over a nearby viaduct every half hour.  The beer could be better, and bits of the stadium need some TLC, but overall a lovely day out.

For me it has to be Abertillery Park http://twitter.com/evrfc/status/500968571280060416?s=20
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 14:10
Coulman Road on a dry day?
Wobbler View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 14:10

My favourite away day.
moseleyfans.wix.com/moseleyfans
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 14:44

Given how many thousands of rugby grounds there are in the world, I wouldn't support the inclusion of a ground with sub-standard beer in the lofty heights of the global top 10!
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 17:04
I have to agree with some of the comments above who give a mention to Wharfedale’s lovely ground in Threshfield, just outside Grassington, in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales. As an exiled Ampthill supporter living in North Yorkshire, Wharfedale is my adopted local club. The surrounds are so picturesque, you never have to wait long for a pint at the bar, the crowds are usually between 500-700, and the standard of rugby is usually very high. And with Harrogate being promoted to the same division for next season, there is plenty to look forward to.
strent View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 20:38

You clearly have never had the pleasure of playing there on a wet Wednesday in December! 
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 12:53
Castle Park in the sun!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 13:39
Any ground with a decent game on at present.
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic