National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Rotherham Titans appoint new Head Coach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotherham Titans appoint new Head Coach
    Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 13:04

ROTHERHAM Titans have appointed Gary Pearce as their new head of coaching.

The 62-year-old joins with a wealth of experience having achieved dual-code international honours playing for Wales in both Rugby League and Rugby Union.

He won caps for Wales (RU) in 1981 and in 1982 and for Wales (RL) in the early 90s.

Pearce has also enjoyed success as a coach, having steered both Hull and Hull Ionians to promotion winning seasons.

Rotherham will hope he can have a comparable level of success at Clifton Lane having seen their chances of promotion from National Two North fade away this term.

Director of Rugby Martin Jenkinson said: "We are delighted to appoint Gary Pearce as heading up the coaching team.

"It's a first appointment because we need a team of coaches to get us back to where we want to be.

"Gary has got lots and lots of experience, being a former international himself, and his coaching career is littered with promotions.

"So we've asked Gary to come in and head it up and to put in place whatever is needed to make a good fist of this league and to eventually get us back into National One."

Rotherham's previous head coach, Adam Byron, left the club in November after a year in charge.

Mr Jenkinson said that the club intended to put together a new coaching team, the look of which was still to be determined, to work alongside the new man.

He added: "There is lots of optimism going forward and we are excited to get stuck in."

Titans are away to Tynedale on Saturday.

Report courtesy of Rotherham Advertiser Sport Twitter feed.

Edited by Rothman2 - 11 Jan 2023 at 13:09
I could have been a contender.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 13:15
"After seven years at the helm, Gary Pearce is to step down as Director of Rugby at Hull R.U.F.C. for personal reasons".

Cheque book bigger at Roth ha ha 

Edited by Scrumtime - 11 Jan 2023 at 13:16
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 13:45
To be fair Hull RFC appointed Mike Umaga as Director of Rugby only three days after this announcement. Mike as you know is one of the greatest ever players to wear our colours and is the brother of NZ legend Tana.
I also see Hull have ex Roth players Lewis Wilson and Joe Carlisle among their ranks.
Should be an interesting game next season.
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 13:48
Joe Carlisle, formerly of Wasps, Worcester, London Welsh and Old Elthamians.  Just a coincidence Wink
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 14:31
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

Joe Carlisle, formerly of Wasps, Worcester, London Welsh and Old Elthamians.  Just a coincidence Wink
LOLLOL
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 11:52
"Pearce has also enjoyed success as a coach, having steered both Hull and Hull Ionians to promotion winning seasons."

True.

If I were a Rotherham supporter, I would see this news and believe we had just signed a Coach with a proven track record regarding getting a Club promoted from Nat 2 to Nat 1. However, I would also have to ask why it was that this Coach departed from both Hull Clubs during the following season in Nat 1?

All Knwoing All Seeing
Yogi View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 16:30
Before Gary Pearce joined Hull Ionians he had been 5 years with Hull RUFC firstly as a player/coach and later as Head Coach. He has just resigned again after seven years as DOR to complete 12 years with our 
club. 
How many Coach/DORs can say they have given that amount of service to a club?. Gary has been a valued member of our club and I for one wish him well at Rotherham. Thanks for the memories Gary.

Edited by Yogi - 12 Jan 2023 at 16:32
What's with you Boo-Boo
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 17:37
Sid.
Firstly we are in National 2. The objective is firstly to get out of this league (in an upward trajectory) which isn’t going to happen this season.

Secondly, I assume we will look at it from there, if and when we get back to that level.

Edited by Rothman2 - 12 Jan 2023 at 17:37
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 17:48
Originally posted by Rothman2 Rothman2 wrote:

Sid.
Firstly we are in National 2. The objective is firstly to get out of this league (in an upward trajectory) which isn’t going to happen this season.

Secondly, I assume we will look at it from there, if and when we get back to that level.

That's all you can do.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 21:41
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 21:48
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 08:12
I bet living in Jersey was lovey...............................
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 11:46
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

I bet living in Jersey was lovey...............................

don't believe there's any indication that Harvey Biljon will be moving to Rotherham as part of the short-term consultancy...

Edited by islander - 17 Oct 2023 at 11:46
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 12:13
Word is that Rotherham have already appointed Gary Lewis (ex-Huddersfield, now at Cleckheaton) as their Coach.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 11:25
Your information is correct:

Edited by Rothman2 - 19 Oct 2023 at 23:54
Yogi View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 16:16
The term 'leaving by muyual agrement' has cropped up yet again as it did when Gary left Hull RUFC.
Can Rothman2 say if he was pushed or did he jump?
Is there any news regarding fitness guru Cal Donohue who went with Gary to Rotherham?
He was highly thought of at the Ferens Ground.
What's with you Boo-Boo
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 19:28
Everything is very quiet and nobody is saying a deal so any comment would be pure speculation.

According to Facebook there is a meet the coaches and directors event down at the club on 31st October but whether anything will be mentioned about Gary then I have no idea.

Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 22:49
Originally posted by Yogi Yogi wrote:

The term 'leaving by muyual agrement' has cropped up yet again as it did when Gary left Hull RUFC.
Can Rothman2 say if he was pushed or did he jump?
Is there any news regarding fitness guru Cal Donohue who went with Gary to Rotherham?
He was highly thought of at the Ferens Ground.

I believe Hull Ionians also parted company with him by 'mutual agreement'.
The phrase is generally used to cover issues which both parties would rather not be made public.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 23:56
I once left a job by mutual agreement. It was mutually agreed that I be fired.Big smile

Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 23:03
Originally posted by Rothman2 Rothman2 wrote:

I once left a job by mutual agreement. It was mutually agreed that I be fired.Big smile

Exactly.
All Knwoing All Seeing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic