National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Nottingham Rugby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nottingham Rugby
    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:46
Nottingham have announced today that as from next season they will be going semi-professional with training outside of normal working hours. The team get their March wages in full but April & May will be by way of furlough. I'm absolutely gutted as there are some very gifted young lads at the club, young lads that will no doubt be looking to move in the hope of fulltime rugby. 

First Sweeney, then Covid-19, I really hope bad luck doesn't come in 3's!
Moseley Mauler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moseley Mauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:02
Originally posted by Shush Shush wrote:

Nottingham have announced today that as from next season they will be going semi-professional with training outside of normal working hours. 

Sensible decision. It's the way to go
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 13:21
Tough decision, but probably the sensible way forward.
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:54
Think a number of other clubs will follow suit which may leave the RFU having to re-arrange the league structure as it would be a waste of time having a number of very powerful teams playing part timers. Saracens vs part time Nottingham for example it would be 100 points plus ??
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 13:41
JD whilst Saracens v anyone will be a challenge (although not sure how often all their stars will play), non full time teams like Ampthill (currently 5th)and Hartpury have beaten a number of full time teams this current season in the Championship. I remember reading that, besides Bristol and London Irish, Richmond beat all other teams during their three years at level 2. Challenge for Nottingham will be finding jobs locally for their players when the rugby money will not be enough to pay the rent.
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 13:55
No offence intended but slightly different calibre of player playing at Saracens than the other full-time clubs eg Jersey or Doncaster
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 13:56
Just picked up the following statement

https://www.nottinghamrugby.co.uk/statement-on-coronavirus

There may be another to follow re part time status
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 16:17
Interesting to see they've cut 3 staff but others are still on furlough.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 18:10
Some players may find they ar3 better off part time. I know there are plenty who have moved from L2 to L3 and swapped and are financially better off
So many Christians not enough Lions
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 20:59
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

Some players may find they ar3 better off part time. I know there are plenty who have moved from L2 to L3 and swapped and are financially better off

If you can get a job, unfortunately there are probably few opportunities at present.
RAID ON
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 21:01
Interesting article by an ex-pro, forgot his name. Played for Nottingham for 3 seasons. And he said playing part-time he made more money from rugby than he did being a full-timer.
It seems that the clubs that were barely surviving as full-time outfits - LS & Nottingham etc, are the ones whose business models seem to have collapsed almost instantly when the RFU cut funding - for what looks like £130k for next season atm.
Shows to me, that they really should've been semi-pro outfits from the outset.

Edited by dropout22 - 31 Mar 2020 at 21:01
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 21:50
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

Interesting article by an ex-pro, forgot his name. Played for Nottingham for 3 seasons. And he said playing part-time he made more money from rugby than he did being a full-timer.
It seems that the clubs that were barely surviving as full-time outfits - LS & Nottingham etc, are the ones whose business models seem to have collapsed almost instantly when the RFU cut funding - for what looks like £130k for next season atm.

Not completing the season will have made the losses much larger, even with Government support.
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 23:53

If it’s the same article I’m thinking of I believe it was Nathan Jones. 
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 08:47
Tuesday, 31st March 2020 Nottingham Rugby

Nottingham Rugby statement on Coronavirus (Covid-19)
Nottingham Rugby can today confirm that we have furloughed all our players and majority of other staff as a result of the Coronavirus outbreak. We can also confirm that we have temporarily closed our Lady Bay facility, with those staff remaining on working contracts being based at home.
Under the government’s recent Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, and with the RFU announcement that our season is now over, instead of making our players, coaches and support staff redundant, we have put the squad on ‘furlough leave’. This scheme enables us to continue to pay our players and we are appreciative of the Government’s support to enable us to do so.
We expect this to take effect until the end of May 2020, but we will review in line with government announcements.
These are unprecedented times for everyone concerned and we would like to thank our players, coaches, staff, supporters, sponsors and everyone else associated with Nottingham Rugby.
With regards next season, as I am sure you will expect, due to the ongoing Coronavirus situation and lack of confirmation around Championship funding from the RFU, there is a fair amount of uncertainty around the future.
However, the directors of Nottingham Rugby, would like to reassure everyone that our strategy for the club remains the same. We want to be playing competitive Championship rugby, whilst continuing to develop The Bay as a premium Community Sports facility, capable of hosting first class rugby and events.
We appreciate that there is a lot of uncertainty at the moment, both at Nottingham Rugby, but also across every aspect of society. Please continue to look after yourselves and your families and please do contact us if you have any questions.

This is the only statement I can find on Nottinghams website will someone please post the statement about going part- time
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:34
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Not completing the season will have made the losses much larger, even with Government support.
For sure, I was more talking about both their responses both the RFU funding cuts as opposed to the fall out from the current pandemic.
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 15:15
Forgive me but weren't all players 'part-time' until only 25 years ago, didn't Francois Pienaar lift the World Cup as an amateur?
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 18:18
Originally posted by JonDee JonDee wrote:

Tuesday, 31st March 2020 Nottingham Rugby

Nottingham Rugby statement on Coronavirus (Covid-19)
Nottingham Rugby can today confirm that we have furloughed all our players and majority of other staff as a result of the Coronavirus outbreak. We can also confirm that we have temporarily closed our Lady Bay facility, with those staff remaining on working contracts being based at home.
Under the government’s recent Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, and with the RFU announcement that our season is now over, instead of making our players, coaches and support staff redundant, we have put the squad on ‘furlough leave’. This scheme enables us to continue to pay our players and we are appreciative of the Government’s support to enable us to do so.
We expect this to take effect until the end of May 2020, but we will review in line with government announcements.
These are unprecedented times for everyone concerned and we would like to thank our players, coaches, staff, supporters, sponsors and everyone else associated with Nottingham Rugby.
With regards next season, as I am sure you will expect, due to the ongoing Coronavirus situation and lack of confirmation around Championship funding from the RFU, there is a fair amount of uncertainty around the future.
However, the directors of Nottingham Rugby, would like to reassure everyone that our strategy for the club remains the same. We want to be playing competitive Championship rugby, whilst continuing to develop The Bay as a premium Community Sports facility, capable of hosting first class rugby and events.
We appreciate that there is a lot of uncertainty at the moment, both at Nottingham Rugby, but also across every aspect of society. Please continue to look after yourselves and your families and please do contact us if you have any questions.

This is the only statement I can find on Nottinghams website will someone please post the statement about going part- time

Last line yet to be substantiated. Shush posted it at the outset, and has since shushed...
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 20:49
Blues have asked Supporters and Sponsors to donate their remaining games/sponsorship or they could receive credits for next season. I know most will donate, as we have as a business.
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 22:42

Blues have asked Supporters and Sponsors to donate their remaining games/sponsorship or they could receive credits for next season. I know most will donate, as we have as a business.
No Rudi Straeuli striding across G R but just as important.  Already DONATED mine, sure everyone will do the same. THE BLUES need you all to do the same now please, to plan for next year. On their behalf thank you. 
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
Blues fan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blues fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:56
Originally posted by Guinness John Guinness John wrote:

No Rudi Straeuli striding across G R but just as important.  Already DONATED mine, sure everyone will do the same. THE BLUES need you all to do the same now please, to plan for next year. On their behalf thank you. 
Agreed, this is not the fault of our club or any other, and they will all need whatever help they can get.
Blues Fan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic