National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

2022-23 Championship - Season Predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2022-23 Championship - Season Predictions
    Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 20:44
Who is going to finish where?. Here’s my predicted table:
1. Ealing 
2. Jersey
3. Doncaster 
4. Cornish Pirates 
5. Bedford 
6. Coventry 
7. Hartpury 
8. Ampthill
9. Nottingham 
10. Richmond 
11. London Scottish 
12. Caldy 

Apart from Ealing Top I think the rest of the league is very difficult to predict. I think the bottom 3 teams are the bottom 3 but I wouldn’t put my money on that order. I’ll admit Caldy are a bit of an unknown quantity so it will be fascinating to see how they do. As for my team we have lost a few key players from last season but we still have a quality squad and with our home form I would certainly anticipate Donny finishing in the top 3 again. 
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 20:51
No idea, really. Pirates have lost some very high quality, experienced players (Caulfield, Cutmore, Patterson, De Batista) but seem to have recruited well. We may be a little light in the forwards. If the set piece holds up we should be OK. My heart says top 4, my head says mid-table.
Agree with your top 3 Donnyknightfan, but Donny may get second place.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 21:10
I feel last year Blues could so easily have been pushing the top end, but for some silly home losses, with just 4 new signings hopefully we will be more consistent. We now have a quick 2nd scrum half again which should help our style along with the league not ending in the winter! I’d be hoping we achieve Top 4.

My concerns would be what other players we get from Saints as they have not been announced but the club knows the pool and we do not have a proven 7 at this level. We have been light for pre season games and have had 2 guest England 7s players to help with the numbers, so players aren’t playing for too long.

Regarding the bottom end I would add in Nottingham could be in that 3.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 09:15
Very few people at Caldy have any experience of the Championship and most Caldy supporters are completely flabbergasted that a village club has risen to this exalted level in the rugby pyramid.

Predicting Caldy to end up at the bottom of the Championship is the obvious guess and I would expect that most Caldy supporters would pretty much agree with that given the lack of experience, budget and infrastructure compared to most teams at level 4 and above.

However, Caldy supporters also know that their team will never take a backward step, will be singularly united and will relish each and every game at this level. That is all you can ask of any team.

With about half a dozen games remaining last season, when the prospect that Caldy could possibly win National 1 frst started to emerge I talked with a former coach about how Caldy might fare at level 2.

Bobby had been Caldy's forwards coach some 25 years ago when Caldy were punching above their weight even at level 6. Bobby confessed he was more than a little amazed that Caldy had made it to the top of the National Leagues and as he looked across Paton Field he remarked to me "If Caldy ever got into the Championship where would they play?".......the answer was simple "here, where else could ever be better"

Visiting Caldy will be a different experience for supporters of other Championship clubs but I can be certain that they will be accorded a very hospitable welcome and in the depths of winter they needn't fear that the energy crisis will have the central heating thermostat dialled down in the clubhouse ........an  open fire and a pot of "Bombay Bad Boy" will ward off the worst of winter's chill

Edited by Big Eddie - 30 Aug 2022 at 12:48
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 09:59
Caldy are about to experience what Ampthill went through a couple of seasons ago. A small club who has earned the right to compete with some of the bigger outfits. I don’t think they will finish bottom and I am sure that with followers like Big Eddie they will enjoy every single moment.
With regards my predictions for the season I think the league divides itself into a top six and a bottom six and the table above has it right but the order may be different. I believe my team,Ampthill, will be aiming to become a top six team, and the way they have recruited both on and off the field gives me hope they can do this.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 12:12
I remember Ealing’s first foray into the Championship about a decade ago. The biggest differences I noticed was the relentless power of the forward play and the sheer pace at which the game was played. It took until Christmas to get our first win and eventually got relegated on the last day of the season due to a ‘freak’ away win by Jersey (although they won’t remember it that way!). It would not be a disaster for Caldy if a similar thing happened to them. They would benefit hugely from the experience and come back even stronger - look at Ealing now. I’m certainly not wishing relegation on them, they absolutely deserve this opportunity - just make sure you enjoy the ride, however long it may be.

Edited by oneagainstthehead - 30 Aug 2022 at 12:34
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Cov kid 42 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cov kid 42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 12:15
From a Cov perspective, I for one will be more than happy with a 6th place finish.
Very young squad. Given that hopefully the injuries to the more senior players in the squad do not hit too hard, then I have every hope of a competitive season.
With all that in mind, a top eight will realistically be my best hope.
John Butler
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 12:22
I have no doubt Ealing will win the league, and they need to as only they and Doncaster would have any credibility in the Premiership, currently. 

I think Jersey look strong and if they start well I can see a second place for them.  Ampthill are building such great foundations I expect them to go well this Season.

Coventry look steady as do Bedford and Pirates. LS should see huge improvements now they have become Harlequins A team.

Richmond who were building such a strong team have been decimated by retirements and RP cheque book, they have a very inexperienced squad and need to start well or could struggle.

Caldy, who I watched a couple of times last season, will have terrific unity and have added some real talent. I expect them to go well but be in the lower reaches. Nottingham will also be battling in the lower parts of the league . . . so a guess at the final table:

Ealing
Jersey
Ampthill
Doncaster
Cornish Pirates
Hartpury
Bedford
Coventry
London Scottish
Caldy
Richmond
Nottingham

Lets hope for a great season and as few injuries as possible and Richmond winning the league :-)

Run with it
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 12:39
Runitback can I snap your hand off now please.......Caldy finishing 10th would be a tremendous achievement
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 13:47
And can I snap the other hand off? Ampthill to finish third! I wish.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 14:17
I think the top two places are well established, I can't see Ealing not winning in all honesty as much as each loss is celebrated by every else!! A season is a long time and they'll be some twitchy Prem teams wanting a rule change or two to come along.

In terms of Caldy, good luck. Most teams that come up do OK, their previous seasons winning habit carrying them through perennial lower league Champ teams who are used to losing.  Can't see them finishing bottom.

But the rest who knows  Hug

Depends on who they inevitably bring in from the Prem sides to bolster ranks, some loans, some for just a couple of weeks.  If you play a side full of decent loanees then they'll be strong, if they are all recalled for Cup weekends, or international weekends then the side you're playing against will be much weaker.  Some sides only have small squads in anticipation and if you think every club in the league bar a couple are using this as a form of back up now then the prophecy of an A League in all but name is moving ever closer.  You can't blame clubs for doing it.  Its a cheap way of surviving whilst putting on a good show.

But lets remember what's important, a good day out and some (hopefully decent rugby)

Ealing
Doncaster

Jersey, Ampthill, Bedford, Pirates, London Scottish, Hartpury, Coventry

Caldy
Nottingham
Richmond

Edited by Bedfordian - 30 Aug 2022 at 14:19
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 14:43
Ealing has spent a lot of money on squad depth this year, proven by losing by 1 to the relegated Pro14 side on Thursday, and still having a separate team to go win convincingly at Rosslyn Park on Saturday. I'm sure that they'll slip up a couple of times due to weird selections, bad weather, or an inspired opposite number, but I can't see them not coming top over the course of the season.

1. Ealing 
2. Cornish Pirates - massive homefield advantage, plus strong support and secure funding the next couple of years.
3. Doncaster - Seemed to lose a few key players, and were thumped in preseason. Still strong.
4. Jersey - They have seemed strong in pre-season, and I could easily seem them higher.
5. Bedford - Could be 5th, could be 10th. Depends on loanees.
6. Coventry -I don't know much about Cov.
7. Ampthill - I'm pulling for the mob as I like their club ethos.
8. Hartpury - Gloucester A have both a ceiling and a floor to their perfomances.
9. Nottingham - Seem to have spent a bit more this year on a few key signings.
10. Richmond - Still have the immortal Mark Bright, so can't put them lower.
11. London Scottish - Probably could be several places higher with Quins tie-up, but need to see who they get.
12. Caldy - Long, long road trips.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 15:09
All you need to 'know' about Cov is that they are rebuilding, pragmatically.
They lost an awful lot of experience at the end of last season in Burrows, Boulton, Fenner etc, and have brought in a raft of youngsters and promoted academy boys from within.
I hope Alex Rae knows what he's doing, but him being a Cov Kid, whatever happens it won't be for the lack of passion.
My thoughts; I'm hopeful of survival. I expect a few canings along the way, mind.
Our City,
Our Club
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 17:07
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Ealing has spent a lot of money on squad depth this year, proven by losing by 1 to the relegated Pro14 side on Thursday, and still having a separate team to go win convincingly at Rosslyn Park on Saturday. I'm sure that they'll slip up a couple of times due to weird selections, bad weather, or an inspired opposite number, but I can't see them not coming top over the course of the season.

1. Ealing 
2. Cornish Pirates - massive homefield advantage, plus strong support and secure funding the next couple of years.
3. Doncaster - Seemed to lose a few key players, and were thumped in preseason. Still strong.
4. Jersey - They have seemed strong in pre-season, and I could easily seem them higher.
5. Bedford - Could be 5th, could be 10th. Depends on loanees.
6. Coventry -I don't know much about Cov.
7. Ampthill - I'm pulling for the mob as I like their club ethos.
8. Hartpury - Gloucester A have both a ceiling and a floor to their perfomances.
9. Nottingham - Seem to have spent a bit more this year on a few key signings.
10. Richmond - Still have the immortal Mark Bright, so can't put them lower.
11. London Scottish - Probably could be several places higher with Quins tie-up, but need to see who they get.
12. Caldy - Long, long road trips.

The Caldy boys are known as the Ravers and they just love long road trips......WOLWAOTB
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 17:21
I don’t think that the journeys in the Champ will be much different from Nat 1 for Caldy in fact could be less as there are fewer fixtures
So many Christians not enough Lions
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 17:46
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

I don’t think that the journeys in the Champ will be much different from Nat 1 for Caldy in fact could be less as there are fewer fixtures

There were some terrific road trips last year and the wonder of it all was that throughout the season all round good guy Graham once again proved what a skilful travel co-ordinator he was.

In previous seasons our Graham has had the odd mishap - star scrumhalf left at service station ahead of a tricky visit to Tynedale - one travelling dignitary twice left behind at Euston (partially understandable as his name was Graham) - but last season in Nat 1 we generally arrived at the right club on the right day and had a blast.

I was told that already this year Graham nearly scored his first bargain of the season in negotiating flights to Jersey for a scarcely believable price - there was a catch though - the return flight left some 40 minutes after the inward flight arrived. 

We are all hugely looking forward to another season of Graham's grand tour rugby adventures and the players are quite excited as well

WOLWAOTB
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 18:23
Most of Caldy's games could be called local Derbys compared to Pirates' Travels
Even Jersey can travel To & Fro in a day, probably not more than 2 hrs travelling each way

Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 16:34
tricky this year (no different from any other I guess), but let's start at the bottom and I hate to say it, but I think that Caldy will find the step up very tough. I'm not saying that it is beyond them, but being realistic, a successful season is likely to be 11th. If they do avoid the basement, then I think that Caldy will be fighting with either LS or Richmond.
At the other end, I can see Donny just pipping Pirates to third and at the top I think that we will see a shock and Jersey will take the crown from Ealing.
Yes, Ealing are definitely the team to beat, yes, I am biased, but I honestly can see Jersey getting the better of our old rivals. My rationale, is that in the 2 pre-season games against Tigers & Irish (yes, I know that pre-season normally means diddly) Jersey really competed with them throughout the games. Didn't just hang on against sides who were going through the motions and then put the fringe players on. No, we really competed against the likes of Cole, Youngs etc. and when the 2nd half changes came we beat them.
There is a confidence that I have not seen since we were promoted to this level and I just think that it could be our year...famous last words no doubt.
As for the rest. Almost impossible to rank them. Bedford should be 5th or 6th, but it depends on DR's/loans. Cov are always a tough team to beat and Ampthill are going from strength to strength, as are Hartpury. Nottingham are an unknown for me, but they are a great club with very high standards, so I can see them being competitive again.

Can't wait for it to all kick off again!

Edited by Brizzer - 31 Aug 2022 at 16:34
Tackle Low!!!!!
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 17:50
Love the optimism Brizzer and think your summary is spot on and I really do hope you give Ealing a run for "all" their money!! :-)))
Run with it
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 18:52
It is interesting and a bit daunting to have the views ahead of the season, from supporters of other clubs who have significant experience at this level. 

I cannot disagree with Brizzer or Runitback's assessment because in essence Caldy is at its heart a small village rugby club being helped by players coming from other local village clubs to have a crack at the big teams in the Championship. We were in Wonderland in National One ......Caldy RFC in the the Championship is just bonkers

Our community has now grown to be just a bit larger than just Caldy/West Kirby and its environs.  Supporters of other local rugby clubs came to Caldy for the pre season visit of Sale Sharks, I am sure they enjoyed the experience. Every comment I heard was positive and just a bit proud that a small village rugby club on the Wirral had gotten this far. There are nine other great local rugby clubs within a 10 mile radius of Paton Field and in some small way Caldy is representing these clubs as well as itself in what is realistically now the top tier of 'proper' club rugby in England.

Caldy is all about its own players representing the club and its community as best it can whilst also hopefully giving the opportunity for some game time to a couple of Sale Sharks youngsters who may otherwise be kicking their heels on a Saturday. 

Last season two young Sharks players had game time with Caldy. Full back Elliot Gourlay, owing to the unfortunate season long injury to Caldy's Rhys Hayes, Elliot played with distinction in nearly every game, and scrum half Nye Thomas who made a dazzling impact from the bench on three occasions and had a start in a couple of others. Good young lads who really fitted in with the rest of the Caldy squad and assimilated the Caldy DNA (particularly on away coach trips). It will be pleasing if both are in Caldy's squad for the coming season.

Caldy may not win many (...or any!) but I know the Caldy players will step up and give of their best each and every time and we will be proud of them...always.

Last season in National One we absolutely loved our visits to some brilliant National One clubs with our visit to Chinnor, Rosslyn Park and Tonbridge Juddians being stand outs for me and I know we will hugely enjoy our visits to some new and famous clubs this season. 

Just as for pretty much every season for the last 20 years or so it is all going to be another great adventure. 

WOLWAOTB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic