National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Who's on the Bench

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WINGER14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who's on the Bench
    Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 21:06
At Rotherham, every game, we have 2 Props, 1 Second Row, 1 Back Row and 1 Back.
Is this anywhere like standard or do your Club fill the bench different, or does it change depending on which Club it is playing against.
We've had some close calls already this season, 1 Back injured, off rest of game, then other
Injured but patched up so as not to go a man down. Not good for the player. An alternative is to put a Back Row on in his place, still not ideal.
I would like to see 6 or 7 players on the bench but, We would still stay at the same number of interchanges. Would this be a good idea or not.

Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 22:23
In recent weeks at Blackheath we have gone for a 4 - 1 split initially to suit who we were playing (Albion traditionally strong up front) and following a great performance and even more surprising no injuries the same team was selected for last week. We came through that winning and without injuries so it may well be that the team will remain unchanged. Before that we have normally gone 2 front row, 1 back/ second row, one scrum half and another back
So many Christians not enough Lions
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 22:37
So we remove another 2 players from the 2nd team?
WINGER14 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WINGER14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 22:54
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

So we remove another 2 players from the 2nd team?

Why ?   I don't know how your Club is run, do they just turn out 20 players for the 1XV and 20 players for the 2XV and 20 players for any other Teams you have. Surely you have more players than that at the Club.

Rotherham have 1 Team with a squad of 32. How many players do you have at your Club. Are there just 20 players for each Team you have. If there is then just a few injuries would be catastrophic.
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 07:11
Team I support runs 4 teams. 2 of the best 2nd team players sitting on the bench knocks down to the 4ths. Player participation is the biggest problem in the game and bigger benches us a very bad thing. Players want to play
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 07:55
Totally agree with you BRB I would reduce number on bench. More players would actually be playing and players would have to be fitter and less bulky , this goes for all levels , especially internationals.
Run with it
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 09:08
Depends how you use your bench does it not? Premiership sides and international ones seem to select certain players to play for 50 minutes flat out knowing that their replacements will come on as "finishers" for the last 30. These players could be rotated each week so they get exactly the same amount of game time.
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 10:47
If a lower team is struggling for numbers then having a bigger first team bench has a hugely detrimental effect on the rest of the club.

Match cancellations are now endemic throughout the game.  This is not a problem for clubs that only run one team.
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 10:57
If you have just one team it may not be a problem except for those players who do not get on the bench and sit around without a game.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 13:13
We need smaller benches. If needbe have more interchanges.
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 13:43
It depends on where you are, I would rather larger benches stop rolling subs. The second team issue has been debated many times and it’s very much how many teams you have around you and what level do they play at
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 15:48
I am a fan of rolling subs. It allows the whole squad game much more equal game time, rather than one or two players getting the last 10 mins or so only because they have to be held back in case of injuries-surely a help to keep more players in the game.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 16:08
I understand what you are saying marigold but my view and it has been mentioned elsewhere when you have rolling subs you can often put players who have been taken off when they get a knock back on as someone else has taken a worse knock/ injury whereas the extra player on the bench plus no rolling subs would prevent that which would also assist in player welfare
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote front5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 14:23
DMP normally have 2 backs, I think this is they have a Utility player in Cal McKenzie who can player both in backline and back row. 

They seem to a backrow, and second row which continues to interchange between positions also. 

I do feel however, the rolling interchange is not ideal in this league and you could argue it is not best for player welfare, there is also the issue of changing front row a number of times which always seems to upset the running of a game, as an ex front row. I only want my first scrum/line out once if that makes sense. having a potentially 12+ combinations of front row with interchanges is always going to be a disruption. 

I feel 1 additionally player on bench (I would suggest a front row ie 2 props 1 hooker) and removing interchangeable players would be the best thing to do, however I do not proclaim to be correct on this it is only an opinion. 

I would think a 2nd choice hooker could probably cover a flanker if required, and a number of back row at this level could also play in the back line (Darryl Dyer and his time at Ampthill comes to mind). 

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 14:28
If you add anymore subs regulations would mean you required another front row player in the squad which would make the search for props a bit harder
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic