National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Cov Chairman Sharp in The Times

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cov Chairman Sharp in The Times
    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 12:00
Lengthy article on Championship/roots woes here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rfus-empty-words-wont-save-clubs-gvzh2xh7g?shareToken=4522fbd8df6daa06c90042eb3d74b7de

Sorry, can't sort a link on the trouserfone so copy & paste to view
Edit: it linked anyway!
Edit edit: looks like they've now put it behind the paywall. Bu99er.

Edited by Kimbo - 25 Mar 2020 at 12:02
Our City,
Our Club
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 12:11
I struggle with Chairman Sharp comparing Coventry to 'your average club, all the income they get is subs from players and bar takings' Coventry have a large full time playing, coaching, medical, s and c and admin staff. 80% of the wages of those employees will now be picked up by the government ie you and me. This is not 'your average club' The 97% of rugby that sits outside of the top two leagues is where the RFU should be sending/spending support, not to clubs who each season deliberately run at a loss even though they get more than  half a million pounds each per year subsidy from the RFU.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 15:03
Saw that Coventry is taking advice in terms of taking action against their insurer, who are trying to avoid paying out even though the club had the appropriate coverage for disruption due to disease. I hope they win, I get a bit sick of the "Heads I win  Tails you lose" nature of the insurance industry.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 17:48
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Saw that Coventry is taking advice in terms of taking action against their insurer, who are trying to avoid paying out even though the club had the appropriate coverage for disruption due to disease. I hope they win, I get a bit sick of the "Heads I win  Tails you lose" nature of the insurance industry.

Yes I agree, it seems the insurance industry is happy to take your premium but will do everything they can to weasel out of paying claims.

Motor Insurance is different, they insist you take your car to an 'approved repairer' who take longer to repair it and charge a lot more than an independent. They also give your contact details to ambulance chasers who continually ring you to remind you together you haven't made a personal injury claim - again inflating the cost.

I have just renewed mine - I was given a quote 10% above last year's premium despite no changes in circumstances. I rang up to ask why and was asked how much I was looking to pay? I replied something similar to last year and ended up with a reduction of 5% on last year's premium!
RAID ON
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 16:34

I have worked in the Insurance sector for 35 years and  we are moving into fantasyland if people truely believe a Business Interrpution policy will cover a pandemic

They usually cover a % of the proft of a business following a physical peril such as fire, flood, storm damage etc. You can pay to extend this to cover some diseases but they will be named diseases and as covid-19 is new it would not be listed and therefore not covered, simple as that i am afraid

Although we are all rugby supporters Coventry like many clubs is also a business so the same rules apply to them as it does to everybody else

Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 17:12
Shamrose
Interestingly ours  company says  under Business Interruption Insurance Module

Infectious Disease ( 90 day indemnity limit ) but does not name any !

Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 17:15
And Cov's specifically excludes Sars and Ebola.
Nothing else.
Our City,
Our Club
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 17:20
Well said Marigold

Run with it
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 19:08
Originally posted by Shamrose Shamrose wrote:

I have worked in the Insurance sector for 35 years and  we are moving into fantasyland if people truely believe a Business Interrpution policy will cover a pandemic

They usually cover a % of the proft of a business following a physical peril such as fire, flood, storm damage etc. You can pay to extend this to cover some diseases but they will be named diseases and as covid-19 is new it would not be listed and therefore not covered, simple as that i am afraid

Although we are all rugby supporters Coventry like many clubs is also a business so the same rules apply to them as it does to everybody else

Eminent law firms (for example Pinsent-Masons) are of the opinion that insurance companies could have a lot to answer for depending on the policy description, but in particular any triggers for notifiable disease. I think that much will depend in wording, but that a blanket dismissal in this relatively unprecedented (words chosen on purpose) circumstance may be premature.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 14:49
Covid - 19 is sadly a SARS strain so what happens now?
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 17:18
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Covid - 19 is sadly a SARS strain so what happens now?
Moot, really. Yes, it's genetically related to Sars, but we're genetically related to an avocado.
Neither are 'the same as'.
However, I agree, the law is going to have a lot to chew on.
Our City,
Our Club
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 15:20
Let's hope for major long running High Court litigation perhaps ending up in the Supreme Court (PS: will the ECJ still be available?).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic