National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Final League Positions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 15:52
They may need a rethink. The community game is being hit very hard by lack of revenue and some clubs will take a long time to recover. Reducing the amount of games played through a restructure will not help income streams. 
I’d hate to be a club treasurer just at the moment.

373 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 16:15
Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

They may need a rethink. The community game is being hit very hard by lack of revenue and some clubs will take a long time to recover. Reducing the amount of games played through a restructure will not help income streams. 
I’d hate to be a club treasurer just at the moment.

I’d hope that out of all this we’ve taken away the idea that welfare of people is more important than £££. By and large an extra one or two home games a year isn’t going to take a club from the red to the black. Considering which players are being paid and how much will be the big decision clubs need to make next season. We can’t have Level 5 players on upwards of £250 a game, then wonder why clubs are struggling financially. 

Edited by 373 - 04 Apr 2020 at 16:17
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 16:28
We were discussing RFU restructure plans once we are over this horrible crisis.
 The RFU is circulating all kinds of information aimed at helping clubs stay in business some of which involves loans which will have to be repaid. They could do their bit by not reducing the number of games played in upcoming seasons.
And who mentioned paying players? Clubs have less avoidable bills to pay such as utility bills, rates and pitch maintenance. 
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 16:37

The RFU is circulating all kinds of information aimed at helping clubs stay in business some of which involves loans which will have to be repaid. They could do their bit by not reducing the number of games played in upcoming seasons.
And who mentioned paying players? Clubs have less avoidable bills to pay such as utility bills, rates and pitch maintenance. 

The RFU should at least postpone the restructure for 2 years at least. Personally. I think what we have currently is actually fair in terms of distance and competition save for N2 and up but you have to go national with the leagues somewhere and gradually from N3 being Regional unions, N2 being North/south, N1 national is actually reasonable to me.
373 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 17:38

So sod player welfare, clubs have got bills to pay? It also seems fairly relevant to talk about one of, if not the biggest, outgoings clubs have. Pay players less and for fewer games and those loan repayments suddenly become a bit easier and has a knock on effect of reducing game day based overheads. 
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 17:56
If the RFU had the cahoonas they would introduce the restructure straight away giving teams less games and less travel next season. The sensible clubs would pay match fees only and get rid of retainers/travel expenses/boot money. 26 or 22 matches x 20 players x match fee is then a known amount at the beginning of the season. The club then puts a match fee they know they can afford.
Fudgepacker View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fudgepacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 18:24
Originally posted by Friendly prop Friendly prop wrote:

Calm down girls, if you look at Dagfish's post on the leagues there is a likelihood that 1 team from SW will be used to complete LSE. It would then be down to 3 coming from the North league to complete the Midlands as in previous years. So Phoenix, Sandbach & Sheffield would be prime candidates if they want to come as would be Lymm who I seem to think have been to the Midlands previously. 
Big smile
Let's just get through this pandemic first which makes all this league structuring pale into insignificance.

Friendly prop, you are correct. I recall Lymm joining us for a season in National 3 Midlands (as it then was) a few years back. It gave them a nice local derby against Sandbach. A very hospitable club with great facilities.
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 19:03
Originally posted by 373 373 wrote:

So sod player welfare, clubs have got bills to pay? It also seems fairly relevant to talk about one of, if not the biggest, outgoings clubs have. Pay players less and for fewer games and those loan repayments suddenly become a bit easier and has a knock on effect of reducing game day based overheads. 

So what is player welfare? Taking the definition literally we wouldn’t have a game as the chances of being hurt when a 20st prop lands on you is pretty high.
Players get knocks so another player gets a start. A player has to work or go to a wedding so another player gets a game.
Just because you star stand off only fancies playing 20 games a season shouldn’t stop everyone enjoying a Saturday’s sport.
Dobber View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 20:56

We can’t have Level 5 players on upwards of £250 a game, then wonder why clubs are struggling financially. 
I struggle to believe this. Is there any actual reliable evidence that Level 5 teams pay players that sort of amount?  My club has been relegated from Level 5 and my lad has played first XV for years. He hasn't been paid a penny in all that time for any games  None of yhe team are or have been for years... In fact he pays to play. Once upon a time Newbury were up at Level 2... sponsors withdrew, leagues were restructured, HMRC came calling and we tumbled.. we haven't paid any players for years. A bit of a problem when you're up against semi-pros...
paddym View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 23:25
Originally posted by Dobber Dobber wrote:

We can’t have Level 5 players on upwards of £250 a game, then wonder why clubs are struggling financially. 
I struggle to believe this. Is there any actual reliable evidence that Level 5 teams pay players that sort of amount?  My club has been relegated from Level 5 and my lad has played first XV for years. He hasn't been paid a penny in all that time for any games  None of yhe team are or have been for years... In fact he pays to play. Once upon a time Newbury were up at Level 2... sponsors withdrew, leagues were restructured, HMRC came calling and we tumbled.. we haven't paid any players for years. A bit of a problem when you're up against semi-pros...

Level 5 ?! This goes on in level 6 ! Hopefully this current situation will bring both clubs and players back to reality. 
oldbill10 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbill10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 06:50
It goes on at level 7, but then these clubs are asking for money to see them through this difficult time which makes me think if they hadn’t of given that money to players would they have that in reserve to help now. For 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 12:09
Originally posted by oldbill10 oldbill10 wrote:

It goes on at level 7, but then these clubs are asking for money to see them through this difficult time which makes me think if they hadn’t of given that money to players would they have that in reserve to help now. For 

There again, where a lot of clubs pay, if any 1 club stops playing a lot of its players will move to other clubs who do pay - prime recent examples Birmingham & Solihull and Old Elthamians
RAID ON
Cannon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 19:47
I think we are about to go through a huge levelling of the game as a lot of clubs may well have run out of money!
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic