National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

In Wales...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In Wales...
    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 08:06
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 09:00
Not good, not good at all for the general well being for the game in Wales or any other country for that matter ...
Player participation is dropping rapidly, no matter what spin the RFU put on it i.e. counting people who play "tag rugby" is just one of the spurious reasons they try and justify numbers are increasing ....
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 09:49
It is amazing how honest and upright the British middles lass is - until itcomes to money

Ask no questions and you will be told no lies
Watch the wall my darling as the gentlemen go by.
Sweeney Delenda Est
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 09:55
I think Rugby, will soon or already find themselves in the same predicament as football. Whereas more people play a shortened variant of the game compared to that of original game.
- Touch and Non/Contact more and more popular, whilst sevens a sport in it's own right is the world's fastest growing sport and in my opinion way more commercially viable than the current 15's model.

Edited by dropout22 - 21 Apr 2020 at 09:56
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 11:07
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

I think Rugby, will soon or already find themselves in the same predicament as football. Whereas more people play a shortened variant of the game compared to that of original game.
- Touch and Non/Contact more and more popular, whilst sevens a sport in it's own right is the world's fastest growing sport and in my opinion way more commercially viable than the current 15's model.

The only problem with 7's, it's not a game for all shapes and sizes, it's one shape only, so whilst I agree it is commercially viable (as many countries have shown, their appetite for it and their ability to compete with the top nations over 14 minutes) as it taps into the modern generation of having a 15 minute attention span but "rugby" it ain't!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 12:53
Originally posted by Clive Norling Clive Norling wrote:

The only problem with 7's, it's not a game for all shapes and sizes, it's one shape only, so whilst I agree it is commercially viable (as many countries have shown, their appetite for it and their ability to compete with the top nations over 14 minutes) as it taps into the modern generation of having a 15 minute attention span but "rugby" it ain't!

I understand that in some 7s tournaments the team has to weigh over a certain amount or combined age needs to be over a certain number - this opened 7s up to others apart from a 20 year old Billy Wizz.

But in general, I have to agree.

As for bending participation figures by counting in tag/non-contact versions - it is the amount of people taking exercise that counts rather than the format of that exercise IMO
RAID ON
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 13:00

The only problem with 7's, it's not a game for all shapes and sizes

It was when I last played! I provided the necessary roundness to the game Wink
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 13:19
Have these clubs ever heard the word Medway and what it means in England? 
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 16:00

Agree with your point, however I probably see more body shapes play "social" sevens than that of the fifteens game.

I think 7's is more commercially viable from a financial point of view, however from a playing and participation point of view not sure.
Cannon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 17:48
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Have these clubs ever heard the word Medway and what it means in England? 

Have Medway suffered? To me they have rallied and carried on their charge! 

Medway were definitely guilty, but at the time it was interesting how many Kent clubs were accused of being "at it" and yet the RFU (Kent CB) never investigated. At the time we were L6 and I was amazed at the vitriol aimed at them, they dropped themselves in it by complaining to the RFU of poaching. Wasn't there even press articles referencing other clubs asking why there is not an investigation. Medway paid the price, at the time I felt they were a scapegoat.

I stand to be corrected, but all the clubs up to that time docked points or relegated for paying players without declaring it have been where the club has admitted it themselves when asking for grants or complaining of poaching. The RFU has never done an investigation independently. 

I have said this before, the RFU stance on grants and financial support is untenable as they do not have the staff to investigate and audit.
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic