National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Old games on Youtube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old games on Youtube
    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 20:02
I've been watching a fair few old games on Youtube during lock down and it may be through the lenses of rose tinted glasses but the game seemed more open, more enterprising and faster.

The forwards were up quickly for scrums, resets conspicuous by their absence. 

The ball came out - possibly at the back of either side regardless of who put in and the scrum halves could actually do dive passes and the backs could pass along a line and not have to bother about this taking it back into a melee of forwards. 

The forwards rucked out quick ball and hardly seemed to run into their opposite numbers deliberately.

You could acuse the game of being more scraggy, more off the cuff and referees trying to let the game run and offences were probably missed but did it matter?

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 08:28
What era are you looking at, Richard?  I watched a programme about the opening of the clubhouse at ODP in 1969, and the footage showed 30 bodies doing God-knows-what - it really looked like nobody had a defined role, regardless of the number on their back.

But the 2005 Grand Slam game was shown on BBC Wales a couple of weeks ago, and it was interesting to see that the scrums were set within seconds of being awarded (OK, a fair few went down, but even allowing for the reset they were over quicker than we see today) and the referee (Chris White) allowed barely a second for the tackled payer to release the ball before penalising him.  No jackalling - defending teams simply weren't allowed to put their hands on the ball - and the speed of ball from the rucks was incredible.

Oh, and no tattoos....
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 08:28
Agreed although I think part of the reason is they did not have the dreaded TV multiple replay which is the only reason we have TMO. Which is good in some ways re foul play but does take away from a lot of the excitement
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:12
Let all your memories be good ones when it never rained, the sun shone, wingers scored more tries than hookers & high & late tackles happened all the time and didn't lead to tmo inquests. Beer came in jugs and was consumed in the changing rooms & bottles of LBV port was always passed around the bar. We sang club songs after games!
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Ex Coach View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:27
Let's be honest everyone knows that the game was better when they played 
Colin
Novocastrian View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novocastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:32
Yes the game was ‘scraggy’ but let’s remember they were amateur players. The weight and build of backs was totally different to today, a hell of a lot more space in open play. And they actually tried to move the ball AWAY from the big boys (funny that).

I’ve got to say I do agree with Richard and I really enjoy watching games from the 80s and 90s - more line breaks, more flair, plenty more knock ons and mistakes but it adds to the spectacle. I have to be honest, it’s no wonder non rugby fans find rugby boring these days. It’s stop start, and it’s effectively a battle of attrition. Add into the fact there’s 8 subs now, you just replace a tired gym monkey for a gym monkey who’s fresh and the battle starts all over again. 

I honestly think I get more enjoyment out of watching a good L4, L5 or L6 game then I do when I go and watch Newcastle Falcons or even England at Twickenham. Whilst I’m on the point about Twickenham - the place is soulless full of people there to update their Instagram account and don’t care about the ruby whatsoever.

Wow that was a bit of rant!
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:16
The scrum penalty plus rolling maul rewards teams with poor backs. Mind you, so did the constant kicks to touch from anywhere before the rules changed whenever it was, decades ago.
The most exciting rugby I watched was the University of Cape Town in the mid to late sixties when HO de Villiers was full back. He used to run through the opposition with ease.
It is difficult to judge the standard,as you would get quite ordinary players mixing with internationals in a competition called the Grand Challenge. Next step was provincial rugby, then Test.
pappashanga
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:56
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

I watched a programme about the opening of the clubhouse at ODP in 1969, and the footage showed 30 bodies doing God-knows-what - it really looked like nobody had a defined role, regardless of the number on their back.

Nothings changed at ODP then Mark! Wink

Mainly the 70s and 80s, Five Nations matches plus the odd Lions highlights. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 13:01
I am trying to pin down when the game became more stop start.  It's easy to say when the game went open, but when exactly?

Did the legalisation of lifting in the line outs in 1999 suddenly make the line out slow down or did that come later?

Are the multiple changes to the scrum laws the cause of the current scrum farce or the symptom?  

Remember Wakefield RFC
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 13:09
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

I am trying to pin down when the game became more stop start.  It's easy to say when the game went open, but when exactly?

Did the legalisation of lifting in the line outs in 1999 suddenly make the line out slow down or did that come later?

Are the multiple changes to the scrum laws the cause of the current scrum farce or the symptom?  

Not sure lifting slows a line-out down, but what it does do is put players in dangerous positions by being 5-6 feet off the ground - certainly one rule I would change

Scrums have slowed down considerably since referees were charged with the ridiculous countdown - again change it

A reduction in the number of subs would mean players would have to lose weight to be able to last 80 minutes - being able to change over half the side is ridiculous - change to 3 front row and 2 others.
RAID ON
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 13:17
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Not sure lifting slows a line-out down, but what it does do is put players in dangerous positions by being 5-6 feet off the ground - certainly one rule I would change

From the clips I have been watching, the ball went into touch, the forwards got there - as fast as they could and the hooker threw in. 

No waiting for calls, no props turning their backs, then going back the same way, no player changing position in the lineouts, no delaying to get to the line for either a breather or tactical.  

Line outs were aesthetically ugly but they got the job done - returned the ball into play quickly, with a fair chance that the other side could win it.  Do we need to anything more fanciful to get that job done?

Sometimes were can't see the trees because of the Forest. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 13:24

The scrum laws have definitely slowed the game down but when you look at the size of the front 5 these days you can understand why they are needed in some form.

You could not have the scrum crashing together and often going down as it used to or you would have serious injuries at virtually every game
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 13:27
Originally posted by JonDee JonDee wrote:

The scrum laws have definitely slowed the game down but when you look at the size of the front 5 these days you can understand why they are needed in some form.

You could not have the scrum crashing together and often going down as it used to or you would have serious injuries at virtually every game

It's a separate debate around the safety of the scrum. 

One question to be asked is it a lack of technique that makes the scrum dangerous rather than weight and size?

Proportionally I would argue that scrums have always had weight behind them, it's just now heavier, but is that on its own a reason for the issues we have with scrum safety? 

Remember Wakefield RFC
clieves View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 14:42

Originally posted by JonDee JonDee wrote:

It's a separate debate around the safety of the scrum. 

One question to be asked is it a lack of technique that makes the scrum dangerous rather than weight and size?

Proportionally I would argue that scrums have always had weight behind them, it's just now heavier, but is that on its own a reason for the issues we have with scrum safety? 

I'm not sure front 5's are any bigger now than they were 30 years ago - fitter yes, bigger no

Orrell front 5 - 30 years ago must of been at least 100 stone !
Fletcher, Hitchen, Southern, Kimmins, Cusani !
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 14:55
The biggest change I have seen since the fifties and sixties is the greater involvement of forwards in the running game. When I was a prop  or No 8 no back would pass to me. Now you see forwards all over the field. Before  anyone makes uncomplimentary comments about mobility, I was a faster runner than some of the backs.
pappashanga
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 18:37
Originally posted by Pappashanga Pappashanga wrote:

The biggest change I have seen since the fifties and sixties is the greater involvement of forwards in the running game. When I was a prop  or No 8 no back would pass to me. Now you see forwards all over the field. Before  anyone makes uncomplimentary comments about mobility, I was a faster runner than some of the backs.

Your backs must have been really rubbish  but that is South Africa 
Dobber View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 20:19
The look on the face of my lad the first time he saw a throw-in at the lineout from the 70's was a picture.. lobbed in one handed overhand in the general direction of an unorganised bundle of players who all just jumped a few inches, if they left the ground at all, left his gob completely smacked...

Rewatching internationals, the Haka has improved a lot, but I think that it's well past it's sell-by day and could do with being ditched. There are different tv channels available if you want to watch a dance-off.

As for the modern game, some bits you can watch on fast forward and all you'll see is a flat defensive moving up, then back, then up, then back, then up, then.... you get the picture... some elements of the game need a rethink to keep it exciting for the paying punters...

YouTube channel is taking a real hit though. The amount of stuff on there is incredible.... I'm about halfway through..... Smile 

Edited by Dobber - 22 Apr 2020 at 20:21
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 22:34
That lineout description is still valid in many cases. 
pappashanga
Blutarsky View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blutarsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 15:09

The scrum penalty plus rolling maul rewards teams with poor backs. 

No it doesn't - it rewards teams with good forwards. 
There's no correlation between scrum penalties and 'poor' backs. 

Sorry to be curt, but this whole thread is nostalgic nonsense. I've watched games from the 70s and 80s and find them virtually unwatchable. There is no structure, no strategy, just 30 blokes chasing a ball and making umpteen mistakes. Games from that era remind me of what I see when I watch junior or mini teams playing. 

You can't fight progress. 
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 17:17
Originally posted by Blutarsky Blutarsky wrote:

The scrum penalty plus rolling maul rewards teams with poor backs. 

No it doesn't - it rewards teams with good forwards. 
There's no correlation between scrum penalties and 'poor' backs. 

Sorry to be curt, but this whole thread is nostalgic nonsense. I've watched games from the 70s and 80s and find them virtually unwatchable. There is no structure, no strategy, just 30 blokes chasing a ball and making umpteen mistakes. Games from that era remind me of what I see when I watch junior or mini teams playing. 

You can't fight progress. 

But I counter by saying now we have too much structure and over played strategy created in a coaching environment that is not adapted to the playing conditions of the day.   

We have more reset scrums than ever through either mistakes or deliberate gamesmanship. 

What I'm looking for is a balance between "nostalgic nonsense" and today's "twenty three gym monkeys".

Is it co-incidental that most changes made only affects the forwards. I'll repeat again, we've lost the point of why we have line outs and scrums. We've over engineered them to be the be all and end all for sixteen players on the pitch and forget that another fourteen players also exist.

Edited by Richard Lowther - 24 Apr 2020 at 23:00

Remember Wakefield RFC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic