National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Return of Crowds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return of Crowds
    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 11:01
Having just read an article in the Telegraph re games at Twickenham with crowds of around 40,000 being possible with a 1 metre self-distancing rule, I cannot help thinking this is nowhere near possible.

To achieve that amount every other seat would need to be occupied in every row.

Anyone who has ever been wedged in at HQ would surely agree that this wouldn't achieve a 1 metre zone, indeed it could be argued that only every other row could be used which would result in a maximum attendance of around 9,000.
RAID ON
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 11:12
Absolutely agree Raider999 - we seem to be on the same page with most things!! Even so I wonder if Twickenham could break-even on a crowd of 9000 and just pocket the TV money (I've no idea what figures are obtained here??) 

Edited by Thatbloke - 07 Jun 2020 at 11:14
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 11:54
Thinking of the ground at Cambridge (and most N1 clubs) there should be room for c350 with current 2m  social distancing (250 around ground and 100 in stand) - an outside bar away from the clubhouse area would be a bonus (think Ampthill)

Little income from pre-match meals - perhaps 50-75 could attend a sit down but many more in a buffet style pie and beans (with social distancing queue!)

With a bit of thought crowds should be OK but there will be little banter and few away supporters (each in their own individual cars)

Its all possible, all we now need is the players. Clown
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 12:42
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Thinking of the ground at Cambridge (and most N1 clubs) there should be room for c350 with current 2m  social distancing (250 around ground and 100 in stand) - an outside bar away from the clubhouse area would be a bonus (think Ampthill)

Little income from pre-match meals - perhaps 50-75 could attend a sit down but many more in a buffet style pie and beans (with social distancing queue!)

With a bit of thought crowds should be OK but there will be little banter and few away supporters (each in their own individual cars)

Its all possible, all we now need is the players. Clown

This was more about professional sport.

When working things out people seem to forget that row 2 is not a meter away from row 1.

Having said that, most rugby grounds at level 3 and below out to be able to accommodate 250-300 with social distancing. I would imagine members & season ticket holders would get priority. Clubs might have to have a booking system?
RAID ON
knightandday View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Doncaster Knights

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightandday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 13:03
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Having just read an article in the Telegraph re games at Twickenham with crowds of around 40,000 being possible with a 1 metre self-distancing rule, I cannot help thinking this is nowhere near possible.

Anyone who has ever been wedged in at HQ would surely agree that this wouldn't achieve a 1 metre zone, indeed it could be argued that only every other row could be used which would result in a maximum attendance of around 9,000.

Having been squeezed into the middle tier of the North stand in the past, I would suggest that only every fourth row would be usable with a four seat gap between each other is the only way with 2 metre distancing. 1Metre distance would still take out two rows and 2 seats between them
Winning isn't everything, it just makes the beer taste better
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 13:08

When working things out people seem to forget that row 2 is not a meter away from row 1.

Having said that, most rugby grounds at level 3 and below out to be able to accommodate 250-300 with social distancing. I would imagine members & season ticket holders would get priority. Clubs might have to have a booking system?

I calculated the stand based on rows 1/3/5 and occupying a seat diago onally behind the occupied row in front.

Booking may become the norm with a priority from season tickets and clickers on the gate. 

TBH I have little interest in RFU/ Premiership - very much in their own cosy bubble. 
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 13:40
Originally posted by knightandday knightandday wrote:

Having been squeezed into the middle tier of the North stand in the past, I would suggest that only every fourth row would be usable with a four seat gap between each other is the only way with 2 metre distancing. 1Metre distance would still take out two rows and 2 seats between them

Getting 40,000 people into the ground with a 2 metre gap between them is 80,000 metres or 80 km as they couldn't use all the turnstiles as they are less than 2 meters apart I think you would be looking at 3,4 or 5 hours to get in and the same out .
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 21:52
The RFU's 40,000 estimate is reportedly based on a reduction to 1 metre as R999 mentions in his opening post. If it remained 2 metres, the corresponding capacity was given as 9,000.

No, I don't know what seating configurations these were based on, or whether you have to book a toilet slot from 3.49pm to 3.53pm or the many other aspects of detail...
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 08:41
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

The RFU's 40,000 estimate is reportedly based on a reduction to 1 metre as R999 mentions in his opening post. If it remained 2 metres, the corresponding capacity was given as 9,000.<div id="ypm-extension" ="ypm-extension">

No, I don't know what seating configurations these were based on, or whether you have to book a toilet slot from 3.49pm to 3.53pm or the many other aspects of detail...

Yes but my point was, even with 1m self distancing you can only use every other row as they are less than a metre apart rather than every row as RFU calculation is based on.

Strictly enforcing the 1m rule would probably mean only using every 3rd seat as using every other seat wouldn't give a 1metre gap either. This would further reduce the capacity to around 6,000
RAID ON
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 10:05

By my reckoning it would take 375 Seats to allow for 100 Social Distant Seating arrangements, therefore Twickers capacity would be around 21K

Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 10:24
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

By my reckoning it would take 375 Seats to allow for 100 Social Distant Seating arrangements, therefore Twickers capacity would be around 21K

Can you explain your calculation? Also is it based on 1 or 2m self distancing?
RAID ON
Oldnknackered View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldnknackered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 13:42
By the time they got all the RFU alickadoos in there'd be no room for anybody else 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 14:55

Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

Can you explain your calculation? Also is it based on 1 or 2m self distancing?

In a sense there's little point worrying about the detail of this, isn't there, since it's 2 months until there's any rugby likely to be played? eg presumably household people can sit together? I'd be very surprised if the 2m rule isn't ditched within the next month...
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 11:29
Looking at the economy figures, I think returning to rugby is the least of most peoples worries at the moment.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 12:02
But a vast amount of the drop in GDP is in the wider entertainment sector - pubs, restaurants films, concerts and sport.

And as John Timpson pointed out the knock on - if you are not going out you do not need to dry cean your party clothes. Or indeed to buy a new outfit.

If you can work from home in your pyjamas - you do not need the new suit.

We are buying new networking equiqment and Netflix subscriptions.

And while we can do a lot on line - there is a pent up demand for the social contact.
So I think more people will want to go to sporting events in person rather than watch on TV.

But it will only be possible after we develop a vaccine and until we are hit by the next pandemic.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 12:15
New Zealand have announced their country is free of the virus.

It has been reported that they will have crowds at this weekend's Rugby matches involving Blues, Chiefs, Highlanders and Hurricanes.

They certainly move quickly.

Hopefully virus deaths, positive tests and hospital admissions continue to fall and we can get back to some sort of normal.
RAID ON
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 12:44

New Zealand have announced their country is free of the virus.

It has been reported that they will have crowds at this weekend's Rugby matches involving Blues, Chiefs, Highlanders and Hurricanes.

They certainly move quickly.

Hopefully virus deaths, positive tests and hospital admissions continue to fall and we can get back to some sort of normal.

Also has to do with the number of people, they have a population density of 47 people per square mile ours is over 700 and they moved quickly .
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 13:38
Send in the crowds
There ought to be crowds
Well maybe next year.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 00:10
Having read the letter from the RFU on maximising income...

Given that 
1) The letter makes it clear that the RFU's primary objective is the survival of the RFU, not if the game of rugby, and
2) even before the outbreak of Covid-19 the RFU's actions have made it clear that their objective is the destruction of professional rugby outside of the Premiership, and their (in)action since then appears to have been calculated to further that aim,

I certainly would not piss on a fire at HQ to put it out, let alone spend a penny to help their self-made financial crisis.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 08:05
The game of rugby will only survive if the RFU survives. This seems to me a sensible approach, ensuring that the RFU gets enough income to maintain its investment in rugby, both professional and community. It is 5his money that pays for the staff that work with clubs and schools to promote rugby, that makes grants for club facilities and supports refereeing development. 

I appreciate that many on this forum resent the fact that so much money goes to PRL thus reducing other areas of spend. At the AGM yesterday Bill Sweeney suggested that there was now an opportunity to change the balance. Let’s hope that happens. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic