National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

New NCA Chairman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New NCA Chairman
    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 15:21
Just announced through various social media outlets, John Inverdale has been named the new chairman of the NCA.

Good appointment?
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 16:30
Hasn't he just joined the RFU Council as well?
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 16:45
Is that as NCA representative or in some other capacity?
Sweeney Delenda Est
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 16:59
As NCA Chair it would seem.....

New members of the RFU Council as elected by their Constituent Bodies are: 
 - Dick Tyler – Cambridge University  
 - Paul Candlish – Durham  
 - Simon Wakefield – Essex  
 - Keith Gee – Gloucestershire  
 - David Clarke – Lancashire  
 - John Inverdale – NCA  
 - Kirsty Marlor – Royal Navy 
 - Richard Bryan - Rugby Players Association 
 - Steve Mead – Somerset  
 - Gary Henderson – Sussex 
 - Matt Smith – Warwickshire
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Keeppushininthescrum View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeppushininthescrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 17:27
I remember driving home from Twickenham before sat navs getting lost and winding my window down at the lights to get directions off the driver next to me. 
In the car next to me was john who'd just been commentating the game for the BBC. 
He shouted the directios to to me and gave me a thumbs up. 
Thats all I'm basing my opinion on  
Lets hope he gets a fair go.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 17:58
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

As NCA Chair it would seem.....

New members of the RFU Council as elected by their Constituent Bodies are: 
 - Dick Tyler – Cambridge University  
 - Paul Candlish – Durham  
 - Simon Wakefield – Essex  
 - Keith Gee – Gloucestershire  
 - David Clarke – Lancashire  
 - John Inverdale – NCA  
 - Kirsty Marlor – Royal Navy 
 - Richard Bryan - Rugby Players Association 
 - Steve Mead – Somerset  
 - Gary Henderson – Sussex 
 - Matt Smith – Warwickshire

Good grief - I was at university, and indeed in the Royal Navy with Kirsty.

I feel old. 

OTOH I don't know about most of that list but I can vouch for the fact that she, being in the same year as me, is at least (just) under 40.
keep the faith
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 19:30
I have always had good chats whenever Cambridge cross swords with Esher.
He does actually know his rugby and he lives and breathes Esher.
He is especially vocal about the amount of time wasted on scrum resets.
Sweeney Delenda Est
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 10:07
Taken from that is this and I'd somehow not seen it before, is everyone currently working to this?
https://www.englandrugby.com/dxdam/bb/bb42cabc-9918-4663-a22f-16a5decda744/RUGBY%20RESTART%20ROAD%20MAP%20FINAL%202020-01.jpg
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 10:10
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I always worry about this opinion, there's 8 blokes on each side who actually enjoy scrums and resets as well, ex backs whingeing about one of THE MAIN parts of the Union game needs to be left to those who have served some time at the coal face.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 10:42
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

I always worry about this opinion, there's 8 blokes on each side who actually enjoy scrums and resets as well, ex backs whingeing about one of THE MAIN parts of the Union game needs to be left to those who have served some time at the coal face.

If that is really your view then I would say you are in the minority.

Scrums take too long to organise since the ref gives the very slow instructions.

Any reset just compounds the problem. I have seen a single scrum take almost 5 minutes when resets have been needed.

Spectators pay to watch rugby not people standing around, my personal view is that time should stop as soon as a reset is required and only restart when the ball is correctly input to a steady scrum.
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 11:38
What I would like referees to do is get the scrum from quickly (9.7.d Free kick)
Have the props bind on the body (19.11.a penalty) with their elbows up (19.37.d penalty)
No pushing before the ball is in (19.17.d free kick)
The scrum half to put the ball in straight (19.15.f Free Kick)
Props to push square and level (19.19 penalty)

Get those right and you have fair scrummaging and the best pack will prosper.

I want to clearly hear the tight head of the offending team call "ball in 2 3 4" as they respond to the shove from their opponents who have the advantage of knowing when the ball is coming but whose hooker has to stike.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 12:53

Taken from that is this and I'd somehow not seen it before, is everyone currently working to this?
https://www.englandrugby.com/dxdam/bb/bb42cabc-9918-4663-a22f-16a5decda744/RUGBY%20RESTART%20ROAD%20MAP%20FINAL%202020-01.jpg

Yes! We have 1st XV and Junior age groups training, using groups of 6 in quarter pitches, each with dedicated equipment which is sanitised before and after use.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 14:54
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

If that is really your view then I would say you are in the minority.

Scrums take too long to organise since the ref gives the very slow instructions.

Any reset just compounds the problem. I have seen a single scrum take almost 5 minutes when resets have been needed.

Spectators pay to watch rugby not people standing around, my personal view is that time should stop as soon as a reset is required and only restart when the ball is correctly input to a steady scrum.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with a good scrum it's the hanging around that people object to.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 15:45
When I last played the backs used to ask us to take our time in the scrum so they could do their hair and have a breather...………………………………..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbYAyalgjsE

Edited by tigerburnie - 18 Jun 2020 at 16:11
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 18:59
Not a criticism but perhaps a function of lock down, how long was the shortlist? 

An ideal candidate though as she has contacts throughout rugby at all levels. Lets hope he can raise he profile of National leagues
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 22:34
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Not a criticism but perhaps a function of lock down, how long was the shortlist? 

An ideal candidate though as she has contacts throughout rugby at all levels. Lets hope he can raise he profile of National leagues
He was nominated well before lockdown. I don’t know if there was a shortlist but all NCA Clubs were given the chance to nominate a new Chair.
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 14:02
Originally posted by Deva Delinquent Deva Delinquent wrote:

Just announced through various social media outlets, John Inverdale has been named the new chairman of the NCA.

Good appointment?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-23214821

WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 14:40
Originally posted by Member728 Member728 wrote:

Originally posted by Deva Delinquent Deva Delinquent wrote:

Good appointment?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-23214821

If every candidate for every position was disqualified for doing something stupid in the past then we would have no one holding office at all.

But don't let that stop you trawling the internet to rubbish people. It says far more about you than them.
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 08:42
Like all volunteer positions in rugby the queue is very short of people willing to take them on.
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 10:42
A good interview with him in The Rugby Paper at the weekend. 

I'm sure there will be points some disagree with, but it does seem like he has a good handle on the current issues in the game
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic