National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RFU CEO Bill Sweeney's thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RFU CEO Bill Sweeney's thoughts
    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 07:52
Sweeney Delenda Est
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 09:58
So as predicted by many on here. Ringfenced Premiership with the financially crippled Championship the "peak" of Club rugby outside of the "Pro-game".
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:20
Interesting what he says about Championship salary levels. He doesn't actually grasp the ring fencing nettle , just drops big hints.
pappashanga
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:59
He would have the info so the salaries probably accurate....although it is pretty close to the uni fees. Is this coincidental?

12k - no wonder Nat 1 and Nat 2 are becoming popular with players

Edited by Welshie7 - 29 Jun 2020 at 11:00
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 14:12
Originally posted by Welshie7 Welshie7 wrote:

He would have the info so the salaries probably accurate 
Seriously? The man is a out and out mine of disinformation, all of which is designed to support his and the farts' arguments and agenda.
Our City,
Our Club
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 16:04

He would have the info so the salaries probably accurate....although it is pretty close to the uni fees. Is this coincidental?

I would have thought there are very few championship players on £12k, apart from the odd junior player.

Sounds like he is totally out of touch.
RAID ON
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 16:31
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

I would have thought there are very few championship players on £12k, apart from the odd junior player.

Sounds like he is totally out of touch.

I know of a number who were on that or less plus some clubs have a lot of students who are probably on less .
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 19:52
Raider999 & Kimbo....I think you would both be surprised at the full range of salaries in the Championship......lack of medical care/insurance, termination of contracts/notice periods, etc at the bottom and 6 figures at the top.

If we were privy to the playing budgets of the clubs for the last 5 yrs give or take a couple of places the team at the top would have the biggest budget and the team at the bottom the lowest year on year.

Yes you may get the 'Leicester' freak result (football reference, apologies) but in the RFU Championship it is about money.

Bill S has pretty much said the Championship is 'dead' as soon as the World Calendar comes into being
Camp Freddie View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camp Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 14:01
Looks like I need to mention the elephant in the room here. "The Womens game remains a major priority for us."

90% of players are male, the Womens Premiership doesn't attract great crowds across all games and they are now stuggling to find a major new sponsor, obviously the old one perhaps didn't see a return on the investment.

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 14:42
CF - but the women's game is a lot cheaper for the RFU than the men's. 10 v approx £80,000 per season with the clubs having to match that level of funding.The real question is whether the women's game remains a major priority for the Premiership clubs to which they are now all attached having ditched the likes of Waterloo and Richmond. Exeter boasted of a £1 million budget for their women's section as starting it from scratch- but can they/will they afford that in the new economic situation all clubs will find themselves.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 15:46
Politically they have to promote the women's game. Women have equality in other sports and rugby, as a sport with a macho image, is vulnerable to criticism from the usual quarters.
Even boxing has a strong female following. As someone who was an amateur boxer for nine years and doubts the effect it has on brain health, I'm surprised.
Both my daughters were very sporty and I encouraged them. Boxing and rugby were never mentioned, although my son played for his school team. 
To sum up, they have to be seen to be promoting the women's game, however much it costs them. That's fine with me.
pappashanga
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 17:40
I don’t advocate a fully pro second tier.
But have the RFU really capitalised what they have?
Wales has 4 pro teams. Yet somehow the RFU cannot generate income to a second tier.

I recall a rugby correspondent at a local paper who suggested NCA1 clubs find a broadcaster, not to generate money from the broadcaster but promote the names. Has having had Championship on Sky increased people’s awareness, knowledge that a rugby club of a standard plays in their community?

Maybe being abandoned it feels, could a Championship and NCA joint effort find a free to air broadcaster and sponsor?
The older I get, the more the RFU leave me confused.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 17:45
Yes it's great rugby in the Championship and N!. Better than football.
pappashanga
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 18:13
Originally posted by Camp Freddie Camp Freddie wrote:

Looks like I need to mention the elephant in the room here. "The Womens game remains a major priority for us."

90% of players are male, the Womens Premiership doesn't attract great crowds across all games and they are now stuggling to find a major new sponsor, obviously the old one perhaps didn't see a return on the investment.

Which is why it will be a priority for them as they’ll want to narrow the %age gap.
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 18:14
Money spent on the women’s game is better than blowing it on the Championship 
Dad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 20:40
As i said on another thread - dont know your area but Berks has gone from 1 cluster team at u15 & u18 with nothing really at u13 5-6 years ago (girls who had played with the boys finished end of u12 and got dispensations to play straight up to u15 of which there were only 22-25girls in the entire county) this coming season there will be 6 u13 5 u15 and 3 (maybe 4) U18 teams. Ladies has grown from 4 to 9 in the same timescale.

What other area of rugby is growing like that ?
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 09:37
Touch Rugby
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 09:55
These are all fine exploits, helping folks keep physically and mentally fit and having lots of fun in the process as you meet and befriend more people. Sadly none of them have any commercial value, or if I'm honest with myself spectator interest

Edited by Thatbloke - 01 Jul 2020 at 09:56
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 10:07
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

Touch Rugby

Exactly my initial thoughts
RAID ON
Dad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 09:06
strangely that isnt growing in Berks - it has sat pretty level for all the time i have noticed it and is a 50/50 mix of corporate teams (deloitte etc) and club contact players using it for training purposes

I actually find reasonable level women's rugby pretty good to watch, better handling and faster recycling than mens game, more of a movement of ball game than a gruntfest
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic