National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

ruck.co.uk - team from Millfield School

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote front5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ruck.co.uk - team from Millfield School
    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 16:25
So I came across this earlier today and it got me thinking about our other schools who have knocked out a lot of rugby players - 

So I am in Durham so Barnard Castle was my first thought so far I have - 

1 - ?
2 - Ross Batty
3 - ?
4 ?
5 ?
6 Ed Williamson
7 Callum Clark
8 Alex Gray
9 Lee Dixon
10 Rob Andrew
11 Rory Underwood
12 Mathew Tait
13 Alex Tait
14 Tim Visser
15 Tony Underwood 

Any additions to this list?

Or any other schools to enter for a bit of fun?

For all the beer and pies in the north east there was a distint lack of a front five bar Ross Batty who played at 10 when we were in juniors at DMP
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 08:26
As an Old Whitgiftian I will work up an A and B team!

Here is a starter:

Matt Gallagher (Munster and Saracens)

Adam Thompstone (Leicester)

Elliot Daly (Saracens and England)

Tosh Masson (Harlequins)

Marland Yarde (Sale and England)

Danny Cipriani (Gloucester and England)

Jamie Stevenson (L Scottish, Wasps and Scotland A)

Richard Thorpe (Leicester and Canada)

Stan South (Exeter)

George Merrick (Worcester)

Lasha Jaina (Georgia)

Jamie Vajner (London Irish)

Harry Williams (Exeter and England)

Edited by Halliford - 20 Nov 2020 at 11:56
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 14:35
Bedford School (1552 to date)

"Records suggest that the first team to represent the school took the field in 1870, and the familiar red jerseys of the 1st XV are mentioned as far back as 1881. Altogether, 18 Internationals, 4 British Lions, 30 Barbarians, 29 Oxbridge Blues and countless Schoolboy Internationals, have been produced by Bedford School."
Mainly pre 1950 for 5 nation internationals but feeding into Champ Prem will be more difficult to pin down, many second tier internationals as well. 

1960s onwards

5  Martin Bayfield

7  Budge Rogers

9  Andy Gomarsall

12  Leo Oakley

13  Fraser Dingwall

15  George Furbank

Edited by FHLH - 19 Nov 2020 at 22:35
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 14:54
My old school, albeit in Cape Town:
pappashanga
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 14:08
ruck.co.uk have saved me the trouble (Millfield).
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 14:16
Those of us who went to Scumbag Comprehensive, Coventry will be keeping right out of this.
Our City,
Our Club
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 15:24
Kimbo - I hear that was a very good school - it was approved!! (the old ones are the best) 
Dad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 16:51
I would think with the connection between various prem academies and some public schools this will end up a bit skewed going forward

Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 17:23
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Kimbo - I hear that was a very good school - it was approved!! (the old ones are the best) 
It was so approved of that it only lasted about 60 years!
Our City,
Our Club
billesleyexile1 View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 17:26
Strange list for my lot - King Edward's, Birmingham. Always more of a cricket school but we've produced a few:
Miles Benjamin, Paolo Odugwu, Ian Metcalfe then the England internationals Harold Harrison, Bernard Oughtred, Eric Assinder, Peter (PB) Jackson. Probably at least a couple more but can't think of them off the top of my head.
Rod Jones played for Sierra Leone... Mick Cleary could be the special reporter I suppose.

On the other hand, the staff team could have been quite good - Peter Robbins, Emily Scarratt and Mo Hunt (not bad for a boy's school....), and of course the mighty candidate for 'best player never to play for England' (copyright The Birmingham Post) Derek Everest. He was a Barbarians tourist though (and, getting on for 30 years later, my geography master.

Edited by billesleyexile1 - 20 Nov 2020 at 17:31
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 17:36
Actually, thinking about the 60 years thing, I don't suppose the old place's record is too bad:
Neil Back (whose rep precedes him).
Danny GrewHuckleberry (ditto)
John Gray (Cov - at the top of their game in the early 70s - Wigan, Great Britain RL, Warks cricket and MCC)
Josh McNulty (Quins etc)
Tom Wood (Northampton)
Jim Hamilton (Scotland/Leicester)
And lots more at various levels of the league (TJ Harris (W*sps), and many other lesser lights).
So, compared with 500 year old public schools I guess that's a fair return after all.

Other Cov comps over the same period have produced a few too (like Darren Garforth, Leon Lloyd, Rob Hardwick (all England). Oh, and Adam Balding,  who will be known to some on here ;)

Edited by Kimbo - 20 Nov 2020 at 17:39
Our City,
Our Club
billesleyexile1 View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 18:20
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Oh, and Adam Balding,  who will be known to some on here ;)

Who? Never heard of him...

Edited by billesleyexile1 - 20 Nov 2020 at 18:20
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 22:18
 @ Kimbo - Woodlands?  SWMBO's granddad was the first headmaster of that school.  We have his portrait that hung in the school hall in our house, it features him sat behind his desk wearing a mortar board with the school bell on the desk in front of him.  Does that ring any bells?  He was a keen Cov fan, and pa-in-law turned out for Cov himself a few times, though he wasn't a Woodlands alumnus (Bablake, IIRC).

Edited by CJB1 - 20 Nov 2020 at 22:36
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 00:21
Originally posted by CJB1 CJB1 wrote:

@ Kimbo - Woodlands?  SWMBO's granddad was the first headmaster of that school.  We have his portrait that hung in the school hall in our house, it features him sat behind his desk wearing a mortar board with the school bell on the desk in front of him.  Does that ring any bells?  He was a keen Cov fan, and pa-in-law turned out for Cov himself a few times, though he wasn't a Woodlands alumnus (Bablake, IIRC).
He couldn't have been an alumnus as þhe school wasn't even built when he was a lad!
 Fred came with the boys from Cov Technical School when the place first opened (as one of the first comps in the country).
Did you know that the swimming pool was actually officially called the Frederick West Pool? The funding was raised for it during his watch (he could have looked for a bit more bunce for a roof and walls and a heating system though. Brrr).
He'd retired by the time I started there in '65, although my bro-in-law had quite a few run-ins with him ;) 
Our City,
Our Club
Delamas View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delamas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 06:54
Great schools......but, as above, the role of scholarships does distort the playing field.....

Edited by Delamas - 21 Nov 2020 at 06:56
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 14:42
A thread about why England will never be as good as the All Blacks.
It was such a shame when the AASE scheme stopped. 
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 16:09
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

The ASSE scheme is now rebranded / packaged as the ACE scheme. Young players are given the opportunity to study and play quality rugby across the country from aged 16.

This initiative is to scoop up young talent who are not in the private schools or who have been poached under scholarships.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 16:12

England are better than the All Blacks going by the World Cup semi final.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 20:10
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

England are better than the All Blacks going by the World Cup semi final.

Also the All Blacks have lost their last 2 games.
RAID ON
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 21:49
Ah well, nice to know that English rugby is flourishing; all the best athletes getting picked up and great participation numbers. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic