National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

2020/21 Championship - Round 7 (VII)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 11:04
The prem rugby final is 26th June. They will have their lions players. Saracens will have their lions for the playoffs, absolutely no doubt about it. They will still be available for the start of the tour. The rfu aren’t the brightest bunch but this would’ve been considered in fixture scheduling 
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 10:39
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

If "sir" had done his job even handed I think a fair number of the English international players could have faced a number of warnings, if not yellow card, for the amount of back talk and moaning about decisions they gave to him. Perhaps this is the difference, in that they get coached on how far to press the buttons......

Now being fair Sarries deserved the win, but cast your mind back to the year Exeter went up - Bristol were hot favourites going into the playoffs, entered the arena over confident and lost out. Bristol then had to remain in the Championship for a few more years. If Sarries take their foot off of the peddle just a bit this may well happen again.

P.S. when does the Lions training camp start?

approx dates for Lions' camp 13-24 June - they'll fly direct from Jersey to Edinburgh for Japan game on 26/6. Don't think GKIPAC PO final k-o times yet confirmed but due to be weekends of 12/19 June

Thank you islander - so there is a distinct possibility that a few Saracens players would either miss the Lions Camp or miss the finals if they were to make it then.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 07:19

If "sir" had done his job even handed I think a fair number of the English international players could have faced a number of warnings, if not yellow card, for the amount of back talk and moaning about decisions they gave to him. Perhaps this is the difference, in that they get coached on how far to press the buttons......

Now being fair Sarries deserved the win, but cast your mind back to the year Exeter went up - Bristol were hot favourites going into the playoffs, entered the arena over confident and lost out. Bristol then had to remain in the Championship for a few more years. If Sarries take their foot off of the peddle just a bit this may well happen again.

approx dates for Lions' camp 13-24 June - they'll fly direct from Jersey to Edinburgh for Japan game on 26/6. Don't think GKIPAC PO final k-o times yet confirmed but due to be weekends of 12/19 June
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 21:28

Saracens players will be subject to the same release as Premiership players as Saracens are one of the 13 Golden Ticket holders.
RAID ON
SKalpy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKalpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 20:25
I will now admit that over the last 17 seasons I have been guilty of taking on the wrong tee and can confirm that the reaction of OF was pretty tame.EmbarrassedCensored
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 19:33
Originally posted by isleonian isleonian wrote:

Remember Nottingham's halcyon days as one of England's top sides (at their 'old' ground)!

Lovely old ground. Great pub nearby by the railway.
I also remember the season (96-97?)where Coventry needed to add an extra nail to their scoreboard at Coundon Road to cope with their score against Nottingham. 
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 18:54
Remember Nottingham's halcyon days as one of England's top sides (at their 'old' ground)!
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 16:42
[/QUOTE]
I'm not a Saracens supporter but, playing devil's advocate, does no one in your team swear?  It seems de regueur across the game now.  I sometimes wince standing on the sidelines with women and children around...
[/QUOTE]

...or should I say used to.
[/QUOTE]

I've caught the odd poor language in the heat of battle, but not screamed at someone during a stoppage in play.
Rob C View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 15:28
Originally posted by Rob C Rob C wrote:

Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Originally posted by Cricks at 2 Cricks at 2 wrote:

Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Instead they have sold their soul to Northampton Saints and are forced to have all their youngs players and literally have games with men against boys.

Also some diva like ‘that’s not my effing tee’ from Farrell. Big smile

I caught that lovely sentiment as well. From the England captain, really nice Rugby values there.

A deeply unpleasant player who captains a deeply unpleasant illegally assembled club.

He and they have nothing to do with ruby.

I'm not a Saracens supporter but, playing devil's advocate, does no one in your team swear?  It seems de regueur across the game now.  I sometimes wince standing on the sidelines with women and children around...

...or should I say used to.
Rob C View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 15:25
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Instead they have sold their soul to Northampton Saints and are forced to have all their youngs players and literally have games with men against boys.

I caught that lovely sentiment as well. From the England captain, really nice Rugby values there.

A deeply unpleasant player who captains a deeply unpleasant illegally assembled club.

WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 15:09

gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 14:08

Edited by gerg_861 - 26 Apr 2021 at 14:08
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 13:43

Put another record on please.  When they pull on that shirt they are Bedford Blues.  When they run out to a crowd that will surpass anything else in the Championship, they are Bedford Blues.  For decades there has been a procession of young players join Northampton from Bedford, Courtney Lawes the most famous example, so about time we had something back.
We have no money man, as Ealing have (and don’t we know it), we had our fingers burned years ago and that experience has left us with no appetite to repeat it.  Instead, we balance our books and welcome some great teams and their supporters to enjoy an afternoon at Goldington Road and contrary to your observation, a very soulful experience.  So when other teams roll out their highly paid south sea Islanders, Australians, Kiwis, Irish, Welsh, Scottish, don’t knock us for giving game time to a few youngsters from 20 miles up the A428.  The age of faux purism is long gone and not many players are born within earshot of a referees whistle at their home pitch.
By the way I thought Ealing played really well yesterday and I did noticed a ‘rain man’ element to the refereeing.  Also some diva like ‘that’s not my effing tee’ from Farrell. Big smile
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:00
Let's not forget that this wasn't just a PL side that Ealing played against, it is one of the best sides in Europe.

On a different note, it was great to be back watching live rugby on Saturday. One of the biggest cheers, as the players took the field, that I have heard at St. Peter and you could physically see the spring in the home teams step increase and the chests puffed out just that little bit more. Possibly a little unfair on Nottingham, but this is a 'different' season and i am sure that they would not begrudge us being allowed back in to watch.

I am delighted to hear that the Nottingham 10 is fine after, what looked like, an horrific injury. Not often that the crowd go instantly silent and then applaud when the player starts to move their legs. I am told that after tests he is fine, but has a split lip....Phew!
That aside, great to be back and see a good home performance. Nottingham have 2 lightning quick wingers, but they saw too little of the ball to make too much of an impact, but in truth Jersey looked like scoring every time they got the ball....Can't wait for Cov's visit. Hopefully, away fans will also be allowed to attend now that travel restrictions have eased.
Tackle Low!!!!!
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 09:43
Bedford's current situation and performance are irrelevant to this discussion.  We haven't all got bottomless pits of cash to call on.  But we'll still be here when the "flash in pan" clubs have been and gone.

Saracens were generally better in the contact area.  They knocked Ealing backwards in defence more often and made ground after the tackle and moved forward in attack.  Ealing will give this Saracens team (its not the same as started the season) more of a game than anyone else, but it did show the difference in ability.  Again, with half a squad lent out to other Premiership teams!  

For those of us who have been here for a while, its nice to think the team coming down will be beaten and "we'll show them" but in reality its a very rare event and I will be no different this year.

Edited by Bedfordian - 26 Apr 2021 at 09:43
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 09:07
The referee had a massive impact on the game . Every time every point of contact ( and occasionally absolutely correctly ) he blew his whistle against the Ealing attack and defence at the point of contact.

Ealing give their fair share of penalties away but why so many in this game compared to every other game . I believe a different referee would have resulted in a much closer game.

Having said all that Saracens were by far the better team. A resumption of normality you refer to would have more championship teams stepping up to compete against Saracens ( all credit to Cornish Pirates ) Bedford Blues would have given them a run for their money if things were back to normality. 

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 09:01
From the Guardian this morning, Saracen's Mark McCall talking about the match:

"...Fingers crossed they can finish their domestic season with a couple of really important, meaningful playoff matches. These games are physical. Ealing, in my opinion, are a mid-table Premiership team.”

As it happens it is also McCall’s belief, as rugby’s ring-fencing debate intensifies again, that ambitious Championship sides should be able to aspire to the highest level. “My own view is there should be an incentive,” he said. “If a club is good enough and have got the appetite and resources – which I think Ealing are and have – then they shouldn’t be deprived an opportunity to step up a league.”

Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 08:37
The refs performance had no affect on the game. Was pretty clear cut (as a neutral)
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 08:25
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 07:10

Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic