National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

national 2 south status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 26>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 10:50
sounds like an exciting an entertaining encounter at the Recreation Ground, with a result that nobody predicted after Esher built their convincing first half lead.  Just goes to show that with a few injuries, much can change in our league.  
Esher host Clifton next week and Choppers travel to the island.  Fascinating encounters.  I look forward to forecasting the results incorrectly yet again Wink

Best of luck with the rest of the season Barum man.....as ever, home form seems pretty good, but it is hard for a neutral to see your lads climbing out of the bottom three without an distinct change in away form .
sweatysock View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 11:48
certainly very interesting contest this year - normally by this stage one or two teams clearly emerge as stronger than the rest, but certainly not clear cut yet
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 11:59
Lions beating top of the table not worth a mention then?
Barum man View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barum man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 12:27
Originally posted by Darth Raider Darth Raider wrote:

Best of luck with the rest of the season Barum man.....as ever, home form seems pretty good, but it is hard for a neutral to see your lads climbing out of the bottom three without an distinct change in away form .

I agree entirely Darth ... just hope we can scrape a few home wins to keep a bit of respectability although its going to be tough for sure.
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 13:57
Easy Tiger......it did get a mention, albeit very brief.  I was not at the game so have nothing of value to add.  Perhaps you can tell us more ?
It was a good win for Lions, although I predicted 5-0 to Lions, so we did better than I thought we would.
We'll 'ave yer at our place Wink

Also, you only have WilHuckleberryson on loan.....so enjoy him while you can TongueTongue
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 21:55
Match report posted
RedPete View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 08:52

Easy Tiger......it did get a mention, albeit very brief.  I was not at the game so have nothing of value to add.  Perhaps you can tell us more ?
It was a good win for Lions, although I predicted 5-0 to Lions, so we did better than I thought we would.
We'll 'ave yer at our place Wink

Also, you only have WilHuckleberryson on loan.....so enjoy him while you can TongueTongue

Terrific player, wish he could have played more often for Taunton than he did, is he returning to Worthing?
Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conmen.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:53
He seems to have settled nicely at the Lions..........................
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 12:23
it was just a joke Pete.....Scrappy started with us.....famous for the 'headed try'.....see youtube.  his education took him to Titans and I assume, subsequent employment has taken him to Lions....where he does indeed seem nicely settled.  Best of luck to him.

sweatysock View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 17:24
Worthing won 34 to 32 thanks to 2 late tries. Rather got away with it today against a spirited Barnes team who were the better team for a lot of the game

Edited by sweatysock - 30 Oct 2021 at 17:28
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 19:17
I agree with Sweaty.....Barnes will be mortified that they did n't win this one.  They were (to my mind) the better side and should probably have won by at least two scores.  Credit to Raiders that they upped it a bit in the second half and kept going for the 80mins.....somehow sneaking the win Ouch

Excellent win by the Molesey Rd boys at home to a very strong (if erratic) Clifton side.  They are on a good run now.

The Choppers will be very pleased to get back into their winning ways with a tough fixture away to the islanders, who were top but now in the blink of an eye, drop to 4th.  Guernsey seem to be consistently competitive and it will be interesting to see how high they can finish ?

The Hawks dominant pack produced another win....this time away at Merton Lane. They have games in hand and will no doubt, move a long way up the league from their current, lowly 10th position.  They still however, only have two TBP's and this may yet prove a problem for them Wink.

Dings dispatched Barum.....who scored 3 tries again but their defence on the road is a recurrent problem.  I can only feel sorry for Westcliff.....crushed at home by OA's.....shipping another 13 tries. ouch

Well done to Lions......edging a tight game away to Rochford, who have proven themselves a tough nut to crack, particularly at home.

Lastly, another good win for BSE.....who appear to be in very good form.  Free scoring and beating an combative Hinckley side who have done pretty well on the road, but with little reward so far. 

Thoughts from anyone who attended any of these games today......eyewitness accounts always valuable. Smile 
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 19:41
Esher were really dominant in the second half. Clifton scored from the kick off and were good value in the first half but Esher got really on top after halftime and Clifton failed to add to their score. It was aggressive defence that was so impressive with Clifton barely getting into the Esher half after the break. Harry Bate was strong in the first half but disappeared in the second half. A low penalty count and a match played in a competitive but f air atmosphere. Esther’s back row - Dow, Scott and Wilkins took control and when Gossington came on as well that was it for Clifton.

So a great first half at Redruth, a great second half against Clifton, looking forward to the full 80. 
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 08:10
I was impressed with Hinkley today. A very physical side that attacked the breakdown and aggresive in the tackle...Pointon a real livewire at 9. They dominated the first 15 minutes of both halves, however Bury always looked superior out wide and after weathering the storm deservedly took the spoils
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 10:49
Worthing started well, went 7-0 up but then failed to score again as Barnes took control - their kicker looked really good even from distance.

Worthing took the game to Barnes in the second half, which was fairly even overall. It seemed every time we narrowed the gap to 3 points, we gave up a try ( interception then a line out that ended with a score in the corner which seemed to be unopposed)

The last few minutes saw Worthing lay siege to the visitors line and saw a penalty try and yellow card, followed by a maul pulled down in the corner resulting in the visitors going down to 13 - Worthing then scored their 5th try to gain victory.

It could, probably should, have been a different result - the Barnes kicker hitting the post from the touch line with his last conversion attempt.

My assessment was Barnes played as well as they could on a day Worthing struggled to find their A game.

Having said that, a valuable 5 points that sees Worthing back to the top
RAID ON
honestinjun View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestinjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 22:43
Barnes were mortified Darth, penalty count killed us, and finishing the game with two yellows took the biscuit…learn to give away less pens and we will win games like this, simple as that.
HonestInjun
RedPete View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 09:27

it was just a joke Pete.....Scrappy started with us.....famous for the 'headed try'.....see youtube.  his education took him to Titans and I assume, subsequent employment has taken him to Lions....where he does indeed seem nicely settled.  Best of luck to him.

I think he must have concentrated more on University rugby therefore limiting his appearances at Taunton. Glad he's still active and enjoying his rugby
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 12:12
Hi Honestinjun.  I mostly agree.....i was horrified at how often we turned over cheap possession, but on most opccasions and within moments, your lot had found a way to give us the ball back.  both sides kept the ref pretty busy with petty infringements.

i thought your tight five were excellent in the loose and if that power could be harnessed without the errors, i would agree that much more could be achieved.  The skipper Seabright was outstanding, though the whole Barnes pack ran out of puff a little towards the end....imo....against their much lighter opponents.

In addition of course, and never to be forgotten, you have Josh Hammett.  He has been a pain the ar$e  for maybe 10yrs now......about time he retired  Wink he had another very good game.....kicking from hand and tee peg excellent as usual.

In our defence, I will say that there is a fair chance that you will meet a different Raiders side in the return at Barn Elms.  I am hoping that we will have a number of injured backs returning around the xmas period.  Historically, we pretty much only score backs tries but have to some extent, needed to reinvent ourselves of late due to injuries.  We scored four tries from mauls i think, despite our generally misfiring lineout.....probably an all time club record Tongue

Best of luck with the rest of your season
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 12:41
hmmm.......have just reread my note posted above, and am feeling a little sheepish about crediting Josh Hammett without mentioning our own outstanding fly half (on the day....he has been deployed elsewhere as needed this year Ouch ).  One Matthew McLean.

Most will not realise, but in the whole of level 4 history, Matt is clearly the top points scorer with over 2300pts.  This perhaps,is not toooo much of a surprise for a player of his quality and amazing longevity. what might come as a greater surprise, is that he is also the all time top tryscorer. I think his 5 scores so far this year have edged him past the legendary Phil Chesters of Ealing.....with 122 tries.

Great stuff Matt.....long may it continue ClapClapBig smile  Tremendous club servant. Legend.

excuse the tub thumping....much deserved in this instance I feel
RedPete View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 21:30

hmmm.......have just reread my note posted above, and am feeling a little sheepish about crediting Josh Hammett without mentioning our own outstanding fly half (on the day....he has been deployed elsewhere as needed this year Ouch ).  One Matthew McLean.

Most will not realise, but in the whole of level 4 history, Matt is clearly the top points scorer with over 2300pts.  This perhaps,is not toooo much of a surprise for a player of his quality and amazing longevity. what might come as a greater surprise, is that he is also the all time top tryscorer. I think his 5 scores so far this year have edged him past the legendary Phil Chesters of Ealing.....with 122 tries.

Great stuff Matt.....long may it continue ClapClapBig smile  Tremendous club servant. Legend.

excuse the tub thumping....much deserved in this instance I feel

Agreed, a regular thorn in our side!
honestinjun View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestinjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 22:26
Hammett is playing well this season (but I think this is his 5th/6th season) mainly because he has a more solid platform in front of him, too often in the past we have been pushed off the ball but for once we have had few injuries to the front fives in both the 1’s and 2’s and the lads are training twice a week, makes a big difference, sounds like they need to work more on personal fitness, although not losing two players to yellow cards in the last 10/15 mins would also help methinks SmileSmileSmile 
HonestInjun
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 26>
  Share Topic