National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

national 2 south status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 26>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 13:30
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Originally posted by FlyingRuck FlyingRuck wrote:

Any truth in the rumour that OE's are set to return next season in National 2 South? I hope its not true...

Only in place of Blackheath if they fold after relegation.😉😂😂

Are you speaking in an official capacity as a secretary of a National 1 club or do you know any facts ? 

There is of course another possibility. Halliford was making what we call a joke.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 18:20
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Originally posted by FlyingRuck FlyingRuck wrote:

Any truth in the rumour that OE's are set to return next season in National 2 South? I hope its not true...

Only in place of Blackheath if they fold after relegation.😉😂😂

Are you speaking in an official capacity as a secretary of a National 1 club or do you know any facts ? 

I’d say neither 

Look very close at the RFU rules and regs!  

I was joking actually, shame you have no sense of irony!
Blutarsky View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blutarsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 21:58
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

I used pay subs to get a shoeing and I weight trained 5 days a week went to the club twice a week for training and went to the selection meeting on Sunday morning all for the love of playing the game and being part of a club. Now I do know there are a lot of players who do a lot for the love of the game, most of the mercenaries will be in the higher echelons of the game.

Good for you. Times change. Why not do us all a favour and build a time machine and travel back if it was that good. 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 22:00
Originally posted by Blutarsky Blutarsky wrote:

I used pay subs to get a shoeing and I weight trained 5 days a week went to the club twice a week for training and went to the selection meeting on Sunday morning all for the love of playing the game and being part of a club. Now I do know there are a lot of players who do a lot for the love of the game, most of the mercenaries will be in the higher echelons of the game.

Good for you. Times change. Why not do us all a favour and build a time machine and travel back if it was that good. 

Clap
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 00:03
Originally posted by Blutarsky Blutarsky wrote:

Why not do us all a favour and build a time machine and travel back if it was that good. 

Actually it was that good or better. Just drawing up plans for TARDIS wearing my rose 🌹 tinted spectacles. 

Don't be harsh, some of us who played in the 60s did have 10 No 6 and matches in our pockets for a half time fag!!
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 10:41
Will Redruth be looking forward to the long trip up to Leicester? Lions are on fire just now, they might not be able to get to the top now, but they might just have a say in who does.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 10:49

Will Redruth be looking forward to the long trip up to Leicester? Lions are on fire just now, they might not be able to get to the top now, but they might just have a say in who does.

It’s a shorter trip for the Choppers than Kent or Suffolk. Long away trips haven’t held much fear for the Reds this season.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 22:36
Going to Leicester Lions needing 5 points is not an easy task. They are tough at home!

Esher’s game yesterday was a great spectacle. We had pulled out the stops on marketing and ticketing and the gate was 1,350 - a record for us in National League rugby.

The team responded, scoring within 3 minutes and racking up 39 points without response before taking their foot off the gas and letting a competitive, talented Worthing team get 3 tries back. By that stage Morley was off injured and the backs had a makeshift look to them.

I was commentating as usual and have never heard such a noisy crowd! Great atmosphere to which both teams responded.

It was great to meet so many old friends from Worthing, some I had seen last September but many I hadn’t seen for years. As well there was a great turnout of former Esher players. A great afternoon and evening with our Awards ceremony. 

I was hardly able to talk today! Collected my car at lunchtime to find the Club full of young players and their parents as we hosted the Surrey age group Cup Finals. That’s what I call a rugby weekend!

Looking forward to Rochford next week, we need 2 points for promotion. Nothing is certain but the fat lady is warming up!
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 12:04
Congratulations to Esher......i know that the job is not quite done yet, but everyone expects that they will pick up the 2pts they need away to the Hundred next week.
I do feel a little sad for Choppers, they have battled valiantly and I thought that they deserved promotion last year.  I suppose though, that their predominantly forwards based approach has cost them the odd TBP and ultimately, this has proved the difference between our principal contenders this year. 
Very well done to both. Clap

My lot have fallen away in this run of very tough fixtures and were soundly beaten at Molesey Rd. .on Saturday
The team that has fallen away the most though, seems to be Hawks.  No idea why, but they have had a really poor run since the beginning of March.  And  of course, another incorrect prediction by me on a Barnes outcome.......they do it on purpose you know CryLOL

By contrast, Dings fine run continued and I'm sure that they will be chuffed to bits with the narrow win and the bragging rights that come from their victory in the Brizzle derby.  That could be some contest next year ?  Probably Old Reds to add back into the mix as well ?

I had expected the midlands derby to be equally close, but Lions administered quite a beating to their local rivals and they too, are ending their season on quite a high. I expect they will be looking forward to spoiling the Redruth part next week, though the result is highly likely to be irrelevant.

The high scoring Wolfpack tripped up by a small margin at Woolams in what looked like another entertaining game.....both sides do like to chuck it about a bit TongueClap

More great entertainment on the island too, where the City Side scrapped out a draw,  tries apiece. This has been a marvellous year in Nat2S......not so sure about next season but we will see Ouch

Lastly......congratulations to Westcliff on their speedy recoveries and a resulting win over fellow strugglers Rochford Wink 
hills17 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hills17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 12:36
Followed the top with interest living in Cornwall and as a Cornwall/ Plymouth Albion fan with Redruth challenging again at the top end. It's a shame the second place play off isn't there, even in the north as Rotherham and Sedgley are fighting for second and it would be a good match.

If as it seems Esher will win the league now then fair play to them getting back, that end of London is easy for us to get to. It will be nice to see Esher back as a good club.
RedPete View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 14:28
Originally posted by hills17 hills17 wrote:

Followed the top with interest living in Cornwall and as a Cornwall/ Plymouth Albion fan with Redruth challenging again at the top end. It's a shame the second place play off isn't there, even in the north as Rotherham and Sedgley are fighting for second and it would be a good match.

If as it seems Esher will win the league now then fair play to them getting back, that end of London is easy for us to get to. It will be nice to see Esher back as a good club.
Be careful what you wish for! Not too many weeks ago Albion were relegation contenders so it may have been them replaced by either Redruth or Rotherham
Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conmen.
hills17 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hills17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 21:28
Originally posted by RedPete RedPete wrote:

Be careful what you wish for! Not too many weeks ago Albion were relegation contenders so it may have been them replaced by either Redruth or Rotherham

I can comment now as they got the points at the weekend to stay up. I’ve taken it game by game and just enjoyed supporting the team after the year out.

You’re right though if the third place play off was happening then it wouldn’t be decided yet.

Edited by hills17 - 25 Apr 2022 at 21:29
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 22:51

Looking forward to visiting our friends at Plymouth again, although I hope it won’t be our Christmas “Derby” match as it was in 2018!
hills17 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hills17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 23:09

Looking forward to visiting our friends at Plymouth again, although I hope it won’t be our Christmas “Derby” match as it was in 2018!

That must have been one of the years west London and Birmingham our closest games, we visited esher one Christmas too, Taunton at 76 miles now there for us. 

Edited by hills17 - 25 Apr 2022 at 23:09
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 23:15
I suspect they will be paired with Taunton and you will get Rosslyn Park.
Then Chinnor and Rams, Cinderford and Moseley and Stortford and ourselves.
Not sure about the four Northern sides.

Of course, Blackheath can still escape from relegation to mess up the pairings.
At the moment, the leagues are about as good as RFU could hope for.
Next year's will not be quite as nice.
Sweeney Delenda Est
honestinjun View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestinjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 00:51
Sorry about that Darth, I did fancy Barnes to win before Saturday, the confidence continued from our win the previous week, Henley didn’t seem their normal skilful self, failing to capitalise at the end of the first half when camped on our line, and spilling the ball too many times, 12-12 at the break, but in the second half we played some of the best rugby I have seen us play all season, coast to coast, forwards and backs mixing it up well, and with confidence, made me wonder where it has been for the last few months
HonestInjun
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 18:13

Probably a post which would have been best kept on hold for a week and then sent if/when things were certain.
sweatysock View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 19:52
well to summarise/repeat my position - I started watching rugby at Worthing just over 10 years ago and have been repeatedly impressed by the standard/ competitiveness and commitment shown by both sides - a occasional mismatch but a rarity. So really hope this will not be compromised by this reshuffle
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 22:14
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Probably a post which would have been best kept on hold for a week and then sent if/when things were certain.

I didn’t say when I’d see them! Nothing is over until the fat lady sings, I just hope she is in Southend this weekend!
Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 08:28
Sweaty. I believe next season will see a number of miss matches, for all the new comers good will. This I fear may have an effect on our very good gates =loss of revenue. How that balances with what ever savings we make on travel will only be seen this time next year. Personally I think the changes are a farce.
Another one against the head
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 26>
  Share Topic