National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Appeal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Appeal
    Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 22:44
It really was from the 22....
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 23:30
It's tough but sadly, that's the way the rules are written and thus alas have to be enforced that way. I do feel for Tring but the problem they have is that by the letter of the law, they have no choice but to accept the penalty.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 05:50
A fascinating insight into law vs natural justice.

No doubt that Tring acted sensibly and responsibly, but paid the price for that. Perhaps what they should have done was to suspend all matches for a period of weeks and seen what the RFU did then. High risk but morally right

What would have been the penalty had there been an outbreak following the Match? 

"Hand, foot, and mouth disease is contagious
People with hand, foot, and mouth disease are usually most contagious during the first week that they are sick. People can sometimes spread the virus to others for days or weeks after symptoms go away or if they have no symptoms at all."
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
BruceElliott View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceElliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 06:08
Tring were in a no-win situation.

tl;dr - Do the right thing, get punished.

12 - "...Tring RUFC acted responsibly in stopping the spread among their own players and preventing a spread to Dorking RFC players."

14 - "We should deal first with the suggestion that dismissing this appeal would lead to a situation where the health and safety of future players would be put at risk because clubs in the position of Tring RUFC might decide to field players even though they might be infected. Any such action would be contrary to the core values of the game, including the values of integrity and respect. In our judgement any Club which put any player at risk by fielding players who were known to be at real risk of passing on an infection to other players and teams would be very likely to face proceedings under the RFU Regulations and Rules (including Rule 5.12) for penalties far in excess of a 5-point deduction... the response by Tring RUFC to the outbreak of HFM was a proper and reasonable response to the situation."

16 - "In our judgment the League Secretary and the Disciplinary panel below were entitled to consider that the 5-point deduction was properly imposed on Tring RUFC. We consider that Mr Kaminski was right to submit that even if a club acts reasonably and properly (as Tring RUFC did), that does not mean that they have a justifiable reason under Regulation 13.6.11(b) for not fulfilling the fixture."

The decision is made and nothing anyone says here will make any difference, but as we're here... 

I'm not a Dorking or Tring supporter.  I understand the frustration from Dorking's perspective.  Under the circumstances Tring did the right thing.  I don't think there's any benefit to anyone in the points deduction.  I really feel for Tring.  
SurreyRugby View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 09:11
Hi. It is unfortunate for Tring. It is noted that Tring played a 3rd team on the Friday evening plus a full programme of junior games on the Sunday. If this disease was so infectious, why did these games take place? I'm a bit confused by Trings abitary actions.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:33
Originally posted by SurreyRugby SurreyRugby wrote:

Hi. It is unfortunate for Tring. It is noted that Tring played a 3rd team on the Friday evening plus a full programme of junior games on the Sunday. If this disease was so infectious, why did these games take place? I'm a bit confused by Trings abitary actions.

Presumably because the outbreak was confined to the first team squad who probably train at different times or separately from the rest of the club.

It is also possible that any other club members who could have been affected through contact with the first team squad were withdrawn from junior fixtures?
RAID ON
carlos fandango View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlos fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:25
Far from being a Tring supporter but I do have sympathy for them.

This does show the difference between justice and law which is often confused. 

When I read the judgement, it did strike me that it was very confused but that the panel had decided to punish Tring come what may. Then again, I'm no lawyer.

Edited by carlos fandango - 14 Nov 2021 at 11:25
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 12:18
Am I being naive ?
Every sympathy for both Clubs but…
Surely, 2nd XV players step into the 1st XV, 3rd XV players step into the 2nd XV, etc. until the lowest senior team at the club postpones their fixture.
Three 1st XV players unavailable
Three 2nd XV players step up into the 1st XV
Three 3rd XV players step into the 2nd XV

Happened at my club a few weeks ago.
Each team got a thorough spanking but we fulfilled our commitments.

Edited by MikeGC - 15 Nov 2021 at 16:03
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 12:47
Originally posted by MikeGC MikeGC wrote:

Am I being naive ?
Surely, 2nd XV players step into the 1st XV, 3rd XV players step into the 2nd XV, etc. until the lowest senior team at the club postpones their fixture.

That is what it comes down to 
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 12:53
Perfect. That is what I was trying to say
carlos fandango View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlos fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 14:27
Don't disagree with that sentiment, but can a club say that the disparity between 3rd and 1st XV is so great that there is a question of player safety there too?

PS: My assumption is that 2nd team trains with first so are potentially infectious too.

Edited by carlos fandango - 14 Nov 2021 at 14:28
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 17:24
Can anyone confirm if any clubs have had to postpone matches due to Covid and if they have been deducted 5 points? If not it seems a hugely unfair and arbitrary decision against Tring.  
dave2dave View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave2dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 17:34
edited 100 times 

sometimes best to say nothing.
Censored

Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 17:34
Plenty postponed due to Covid at all levels - no sanctions imposed
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 18:40
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Plenty postponed due to Covid at all levels - no sanctions imposed

Presumably there are specific coronavirus regulations then...but it seems unbelievably self important to have no points deduction for one contagious disease, but a points deduction for another.

Surely a suspended sentence and the forfeit of the game, would have kept the message of the importance of fulfilling fixtures while not unduly punishing the club. 
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 18:44
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by SurreyRugby SurreyRugby wrote:

Presumably because the outbreak was confined to the first team squad who probably train at different times or separately from the rest of the club.

It is also possible that any other club members who could have been affected through contact with the first team squad were withdrawn from junior fixtures?

Surely at that level all players train together??
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 18:45
Looking at Dorking's form anyways, Tring would've at best come away with a LBP - if lucky. 
Thunderpants View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 19:21
SurreyRugby

At the time, all squads/juniors were training separately.

Edited by Thunderpants - 14 Nov 2021 at 19:23
Thunderpants View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 19:29
[QUOTE=MikeGC]Am I being naive ?

Not naive at all Mike,your description of 'how it works' is spot on.  Tring 2nds and 1's train as one squad , the 3's separately. And with all respect to them, very few would be able to step up to the 2's ,let alone the 1's.
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 20:35
Hi Thunderpants. You probably know more about how Tring are structured.
I don't know any club at this level with different training for the seniors. Do they also use seperate changing rooms and bar areas too? If this disease is so contagious then the whole tring clubhouse would have to be closed too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic