National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Next season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next season
    Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 20:57
Thatbloke’s post in the Round 12 thread alerted me to the RFU’s recent announcement that next season there will be 12 clubs in the Championship. Brilliant. Status quo. A 22 game season. I suppose this means the totally meaningless Cup competition will be repeated.

I have been following this forum for about a year now and I cannot recall anyone posting anything to support this structure. The RFU have invited thoughts in a questionnaire and again I cannot recall anyone expressing an opinion to support an ongoing 12 club division. Yet the RFU ignore all this and announce no change. I despair.

Thatbloke raised an interesting point. The RFU informed the National Division 1 clubs, but did they inform each of the Championship clubs?

The RFU remind me of Boris. So many own goals. One after the other.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 21:15
Cherub - said email is posted under the Nat1 "Promotion Issues" thread addressed only to the NCA clubs. Surely someone can answer the question "Have the Championship clubs been notified?" 
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 21:20
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Cherub - said email is posted under the Nat1 "Promotion Issues" thread addressed only to the NCA clubs. Surely someone can answer the question "Have the Championship clubs been notified?" 

I am hoping so.
AmpthillRUFC, can you help on this?

Edited by Cherub - 20 Dec 2021 at 21:21
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 22:03
The Champ Cup will go at the end of this season, i understand. Replaced by a new cup competition. Rumour of play offs returning aswell.

But as we know with the RFU that can all change in a heartbeat so there is a long way to go till next september.

It will be interesting to see who comes up, as it'll be a fairly new face to the Level 2 game - as in a side who is new to the level or hasn't been around that level for a good few years. Saying ealing do go up, we will have 2 sides come up next season, it looks like Rosslyn Park & Cinderford with Caldy, Sale FC & Cambridge all following closely behind.

2022/23 should be good fun i think.

Edited by dropout22 - 20 Dec 2021 at 22:06
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 22:43
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

The Champ Cup will go at the end of this season, i understand. Replaced by a new cup competition. Rumour of play offs returning aswell.

But as we know with the RFU that can all change in a heartbeat so there is a long way to go till next september.

It will be interesting to see who comes up, as it'll be a fairly new face to the Level 2 game - as in a side who is new to the level or hasn't been around that level for a good few years. Saying ealing do go up, we will have 2 sides come up next season, it looks like Rosslyn Park & Cinderford with Caldy, Sale FC & Cambridge all following closely behind.

2022/23 should be good fun i think.

How exciting a new cup competition involving…
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 07:52
On the Championship Clubs podcast this week, the Chairman of Jersey and COO of Bedford both stated that their preferred option was a 14 team Championship alongside some form of 'meaningful' cup.  Both were fans of the B&I, although recognised that some clubs weren't, but neither had any interest in a Championship Cup.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 08:25
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

On the Championship Clubs podcast this week, the Chairman of Jersey and COO of Bedford both stated that their preferred option was a 14 team Championship alongside some form of 'meaningful' cup.  Both were fans of the B&I, although recognised that some clubs weren't, but neither had any interest in a Championship Cup.

It was an interesting discussion. Jersey Chairman Mark Morgan did add that any move to 14 clubs in the Champ might not be achievable in time for next season.

Meanwhile the National League body has publicly confirmed the advice issued to N1 clubs last week -

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 09:32
The only thing stopping a 14 team league is the cut in funding by 14% the current clubs need to take.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 09:51
But could this be offset by the 3 extra home league games that would be played? (as opposed to mickey mouse cup games that no one wants to play in or watch) 

Edited by Thatbloke - 21 Dec 2021 at 09:52
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 11:27
You might think that, I could not possibly comment.
The question is how much less income does a cup game actually bring in?

Taking a huge pinch of salt and using the statbunker figures, it seems the Champions Cup attracted somewhere between 300 and 500 fewer attendees per match. Costs were presumably roughly the same, or higher in the case of the B&I. I do not know if that takes it from being an income generator to being a net cost.

The other question clubs have to ask is would a game against two from Sale, Caldy, Cambridge, Chinnor or Rams  generate the same income as games against old foes. Would it make more than a cup game against those sides. Looking at our home gates - possibly not.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 11:46

But could this be offset by the 3 extra home league games that would be played? (as opposed to mickey mouse cup games that no one wants to play in or watch) 
More than offset.
But the more important thing is that spectator interest is boosted. I don't want to see the same team multiple times in a season, and I'd suggest most others don't, either, evidenced by the reduced attendances and multiple previous comments on this site.
Our City,
Our Club
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 11:53
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

More than offset.
But the more important thing is that spectator interest is boosted. I don't want to see the same team multiple times in a season, and I'd suggest most others don't, either, evidenced by the reduced attendances and multiple previous comments on this site.
100% agree. Also think everyone here should take the time to listen to the Champ clubs podcast. Very clear statements made by two guys in the know.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 12:52
Do you have a link?
Sweeney Delenda Est
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 15:58
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Do you have a link?

cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 16:15
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

More than offset.

Quite right. The trips involved in the old B&I Cup were great. With all due respect there are only so many times per season that one wants to visit, say, the RAG.

Edited by cheshire exile - 21 Dec 2021 at 16:16
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 23:13
Don’t know about other Bedford supporters, but a trip to Cambridge would be okay
Looking forward to new beginnings.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 20:33
  • If the winner of the Championship does not meet the Minimum Standards Criteria and therefore is not promoted to the Premiership, this would leave 11 teams in the Championship meaning just the winner of National One will be promoted to the second tier.
Do any of the clubs in the Championship actually meet the Minimum Standards Criteria? I'm guessing Ealing do and Pirates when they build S4C - are there any others? If the winner doesn't meet the MSC wouldn't it be better to promote the highest ranking club who does meet them if the MSC is essential and they clearly want 14 teams in the premiership.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 20:49
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

<ul style="margin: 0px 0px 20px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 1.3em; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: line; -: initial; -: initial; -size: initial; -repeat: initial; -attachment: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial; list-style: disc; line-height: inherit; font-family: Merriweather, " Sans", Arial, sans-serif;"><li style="margin: 0px 0px 10px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : transparent;">If the winner of the Championship <strong style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : transparent;">does not meet the Minimum Standards Criteria and therefore is not promoted to the Premiership, this would leave 11 teams in the Championship meaning<strong style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : transparent;"><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : transparent; color: rgb255, 0, 0;"> just the winner</span> of National One will be promoted to the second tier.
<font face="Merriweather, Sans, Arial, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 16px;">Do any of the clubs in the Championship actually meet the Minimum Standards Criteria? I'm guessing Ealing do and Pirates when they build S4C - are there any others? If the winner doesn't meet the MSC wouldn't it be better to promote the highest ranking club who does meet them if the MSC is essential and they clearly want 14 teams in the premiership.</span>

I think the current RFU option at least keeps a door open to The Premiership, which is far better than the other option which has frequently been mentioned and discussed, which is ring-fencing the Premiership.
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 21:26
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

• If the winner of the Championship does not meet the Minimum Standards Criteria and therefore is not promoted to the Premiership, this would leave 11 teams in the Championship meaning just the winner of National One will be promoted to the second tier.
Do any of the clubs in the Championship actually meet the Minimum Standards Criteria? I'm guessing Ealing do and Pirates when they build S4C - are there any others? If the winner doesn't meet the MSC wouldn't it be better to promote the highest ranking club who does meet them if the MSC is essential and they clearly want 14 teams in the premiership.

Ealing have a ground/share in place was Loftus Road, may be that again. Pirates right now don't as S4C is stalling abit. Maybe Doncaster? Apart from that can't think except for sides moving to temporary grounds. Sides have until January to apply for MSC process.

Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 08:17
I'd say there's a fine line between Doncaster and Coventry's facilities and imagine that if one meets the standards, so would the other?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic