National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

No promotion to Premiership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkermentality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No promotion to Premiership
    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 14:03
RFU announce Doncaster & Ealing cannot be promoted https://bit.ly/ChPromotionMSC
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 14:09
I thought Ealing had a further plan to groundshare with QPR which worked for Wasps a good few years ago
So many Christians not enough Lions
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 14:22
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

I thought Ealing had a further plan to groundshare with QPR which worked for Wasps a good few years ago

Reading the announcement it says that neither club had planning permission for expansion, therefore they had no plans for expansion.

It also said that neither club included moving to an alternative ground in their application, therefore they could not allow for that in the audit.

I expect there will be an appeal based on a proposed ground move by ET.
BigChief View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigChief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 14:23
I would guess an appeal was already drafted before todays decision/notification.
Will be interesting to see if they go for it.
For the ordinary purposes of conversation, a superficial knowledge of many things goes further than an intimacy with one or two.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 14:25
Be interesting to see what happens to Ealing and the money, because if he cannot go up, he might as well open the window and throw money out at the start of Sept each year.
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 14:26
No surprise  
One Club
Woody View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 14:33
If there is no prize for winning the Championship and nobody in the division meets the criteria for promotion, and there is no relegation...

What was the point of this season?

Surely this judgement will lead to the demise of professionalism at tier two. Ring-fencing is here.

What a farce.
Forever Green.
Pirate Pig View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 14:35
Confirmation from the RFU that neither Ealing or Doncaster meet the minimum standards of ground criteria so there will be no promotion to the premiership this season and only one team will come up from national one
The RFU have just blown away the most exciting end to a season that there has ever been in the championship with this decision.
I wonder if it has anything to do with an article in this week's rugby paper where Exeter Chiefs Rob Baxter openly criticised the expansion of the premiership to 13 teams as a mistake and any increase to 14 would compound the error.
The Chiefs have been struggling with injuries and international call ups during the last few weeks and these additional games were only adding to the problems faced by the premiership club.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 14:53
Old Boys Club looking out for themselves again, why am I not surprised?

I guess because they know Bath don't meet the criteria themselves. One rule for them, another to keep the upstart clubs down.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 15:31
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Old Boys Club looking out for themselves again, why am I not surprised?

I guess because they know Bath don't meet the criteria themselves. One rule for them, another to keep the upstart clubs down.

And that reason is why appealing based on the competition restriction being unfairly applied to aspirational clubs but not to existing clubs should be challenged and taken through the courts.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Stoatgobbler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatgobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 15:48
All Championship clubs know the Minimum Standards Criteria required for eligibility for promotion into the Gallagher Premiership Rugby league. Standards have been in place for over 20 years and were refined last year to make the application of them simpler. 

Oh how I laughed when I read the bit in bold. Do they think we're that stupid?
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 15:57
Originally posted by Stoatgobbler Stoatgobbler wrote:

All Championship clubs know the Minimum Standards Criteria required for eligibility for promotion into the Gallagher Premiership Rugby league. Standards have been in place for over 20 years and were refined last year to make the application of them simpler. 

Let's see. London Irish, still playing at The Avenue, Sale at Heywood Road etc. in the first Premiership. In fact 5 of them would have failed (7 if you count the criteria being 10,001+) had that criteria been in place from the start. Even 20 years ago, 3 still didn't (Sale, Quins and Bath) qualify according to when this MSC came in, yet they were allowed to continue playing top level rugby.

Hypocrisy of the highest order.
Stoatgobbler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatgobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 16:12

Let's see. London Irish, still playing at The Avenue, Sale at Heywood Road etc. in the first Premiership. In fact 5 of them would have failed (7 if you count the criteria being 10,001+) had that criteria been in place from the start. Even 20 years ago, 3 still didn't (Sale, Quins and Bath) qualify according to when this MSC came in, yet they were allowed to continue playing top level rugby.

I believe Twickenham itself failed the criteria at one point, for not having urinals more than 60cm apart.
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 18:44
Yet another contemptible decision by the powerbrokers.
Unfortunately this does not surprise me whatsoever as the whole thing has been a fiasco since the turn of the 21st Century.

Entirely aimed at keeping the favoured clubs in.

Consider the fiasco last year when they were falling over themselves to admit Saracens after a 10 game season.

I present my C RAP song summing it up as follows:

The Prem and the RFU are singing this song
They make it up as they go along
It’s a rule for them and a rule for me
It’s written on the walls in the lavatory
Not interested in the other clubs
They promise you games in a Micky mouse cup
But then they tear the rule book up
They don’t want Donny & Pirates on the map
To me it’s a load of C Rap

As one door closes…….another one slams in your face.
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 18:54
ONE BIG JOKE

Bill Sweeney is a joke, he needs to go. 
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 19:37
Why have the RFU blocked it, is it not down to what PRL want, what has it got to do with the cabbage patch?
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 19:59
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Why have the RFU blocked it, is it not down to what PRL want, what has it got to do with the cabbage patch?

The management of the RFU and the PRL work very closely together...........when Ian Ritchie as CEO of the RFU did an 8 year deal with the PRL they must have recognised what a great negotiator he was to limit the Premiership clubs to just £28m a year from 2016 to 2024.....

Ian Ritchie left the RFU fairly shortly afterwards to take up a position as Chairman of the PRL
''The future isn't what it used to be''
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 20:27
I like this part… Minimum Standards Criteria are in place to ensure Premiership Rugby clubs and promoted clubs have suitable facilities to protect player safety and welfare and to provide a good quality, safe environment for spectators

Well with COVID actually you’ll find having a smaller capacity gives supporters that safe environment and if the clubs don’t have safe facilities how come they are allowed to operate!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 20:29

The existing members were allowed but had to pay a “fine” but new clubs can’t fail and pay the fine.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 21:13
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

The existing members were allowed but had to pay a “fine” but new clubs can’t fail and pay the fine.

So basically, they were allowed to buy their way in and skirt the rules. Rules for thee, but not for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic