National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Promotion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 18:21
Thatbloke I was told in Surrey it was only a handful of clubs who wanted to put lower teams in the leagues and they could have been accommodated with the gaps that already exist-no reorganization required. If they want to put lower teams in the league I assume they are sustainable teams and would increase the percentage of matches that actually happen rather than are cried off. Players in club 2nd teams who do not get meaningful fixtures will not leave that club for another one -they will simply give up playing. The decision makes little sense if the aim of the proposed change was to retain/grow the community game. The now farcical Middx/Herts situation just highlights how the RFU should have just lead with the reform rather than offer an opt out clause to pacify Council members.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 18:36
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

As far as I am aware,
Essex and Leicestershire voted no.
North Midlands and Eastern Counties voted yes.

Kent's clubs voted no by 3 votes but because a 2/3 supermajority was needed to block it, Kent will allow 2nd XVs in
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 19:30
Marigold
Fully agree it should have been a decision to do it (or not do it) across the board so everyone knew where they stood but IF there IS anything our ruling body is good at is pomegranite-footing around, consulting, discussing beyond belief and still getting it wrong is making a total mess of everything they touch
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 23:30
Surrey voted strongly No to this. Only 6 Clubs were in favour, including Richmond and Esher. Both Clubs were interested for their 3rd teams as Level 7 would be too low for our 2nd teams, we believe. I thought that because the RFU Council actually voted to allow it to go ahead, we would be alright but I’m told that the CB vote trumps the RFU so Esher’s 3rd team cannot join Level 8 as hoped.

This leaves the whole issue of 2nd team rugby up in the air again so I will be contacting the RFU on behalf of National League Rugby to seek other solutions.
Thunderbird View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 08:38
This situation is ridiculous !!!!!yet again our 2nd has had the opposition cancell at the last minute Friday evening. So that's two weeks in a row now.
Rugby Union must be the only game whose governing body doesn't think that the first team is only as strong as its seconds. Players don't join a rugby to 'Not Play Rugby'
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 10:19
That's exactly why we've applied to join the ECC - think we've had 7 or 8 teams cry-off fixtures against us and even if you get a bit of notice it's very difficult to pick up a "pool" friendly as most teams are committed to their own league fixtures. 1 or 2 games a month is no use to anyone let alone for young players that you are trying to develop into future 1st team players
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 18:43
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Surrey voted strongly No to this. Only 6 Clubs were in favour, including Richmond and Esher. Both Clubs were interested for their 3rd teams as Level 7 would be too low for our 2nd teams, we believe. I thought that because the RFU Council actually voted to allow it to go ahead, we would be alright but I’m told that the CB vote trumps the RFU so Esher’s 3rd team cannot join Level 8 as hoped.

This leaves the whole issue of 2nd team rugby up in the air again so I will be contacting the RFU on behalf of National League Rugby to seek other solutions.
Esher man contacting the RFU on behalf of NLR. Halliford AKA Mr. Inverdale.
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 11:35
Slight change in tack but here is an interesting link I came across with the chairman of Sevenoaks being interviewed.

I think some of the Sevenoaks faithful on here should give him a clue as to how things are likely to pan out.  Love his last words, they did make me larffff
Ranger

The older I get, the better I was.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 11:36
CS Stags 1863 managed to play yesterday, which is good for North Walsham, who move into third, but are now two points behind Blackburn.

Four games to go and lots of rugby to play.
Sweeney Delenda Est
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 11:45
I think Halliford talks to Mr Inverdale on a daily basis.

Halliford, you're going to have to wait 3 years before you can talk to them. Remember the FCS "commission" stated that the structure that comes in to place for 22/23 will not be subject to change for 3 years. Otherwise we are going down the Putin School of Politics route............. keep trying to change things until you get want you want.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 12:47
I have been gathering info for NLR on 2nd XV rugby for some years. We held off to see what would happen with this proposal. Now we are clear that there is no real consensus on lower teams joining the League structure, it is time for NLR to look at alternatives which provide competitive 2nd XV rugby. Entry into the main Leagues was never going to suit the stronger Clubs at Levels 2-4 anyway, so we need to see what no-cost alternatives are possible.
Jasper99 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 13:05
I'm not sure that the assumption that entering into main leagues won't suit stronger clubs at level 2-4 is correct.

I'll cite Clifton as an example. A team fighting for promotion to level 3. Their 2s couldn't enter the league system within Somerset so went to Gloucester who accepted them in Gloucester Premier (Level 8). After a flurry of wins, they now sit in 2nd place having lost 3 games. It is not clear that they are going to win a level 8 league!

The reality is that the higher you move up the pyramid the more  injury and availability issues impact first team playing numbers and ultimately impact  your 2nd or 3rd team. If Clifton were South Easterly I'm sure they could pick up fixtures outside of the league, but in the SW that is not the case. 

The league structure provides at the very least a fixture list and that may well be more challenging than first thought.

I know from experience that Cinderford and Taunton whose 2s are not in the pyramid system have struggled to provide rugby for those players leaving weeks without rugby and the prospect of playing the same opposition 4-6 times.

The key here is the fixture list and the access to giving players game time. That is everything.

Edited by Jasper99 - 13 Mar 2022 at 13:06
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 13:07
Originally posted by WESTCOMBE RANGER WESTCOMBE RANGER wrote:

Slight change in tack but here is an interesting link I came across with the chairman of Sevenoaks being interviewed.

I think some of the Sevenoaks faithful on here should give him a clue as to how things are likely to pan out.  Love his last words, they did make me larffff
Ranger

LOL

Edited by PM009 - 13 Mar 2022 at 17:26
Kentishman View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 15:47
Ranger, is your problem that you pay a ridiculous salary to your Director of Rugby. BTW that makes me larff! Or is it that several of Combes former players (who you used to pay substantial wages) have gone to Sevenoaks for no money at all? Having been part of both clubs I see one with a fantastic set up, thriving youth section and huge numbers at senior training. The other club boast a junior set up where numerous age groups have folded over recent years, money raised by the juniors is being spent on senior player salaries and the best team in the club is the vets. Not surprising when you consider how great the club used to be. I can’t wait to play for them against Sevenoaks in the vets final. But I tell you now, I won’t be expecting any of the 1st team to come and watch. They don’t even know we exist. Stop throwing your sh*t towards Sevenoaks and concentrate on getting our once great club back to where it once was. You can start by employing a club man as DOR and focussing time and money on the juniors. Oh wait I have said all this before and it fell on deaf ears then!
SurreyRugby View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 21:31
Well said Kentish man.i am tired of seeing money wasted on mediocre rugby players. Dorking are very similar to sevenoaks and I hope both clubs are successful this season. Dorking played Brighton the other day and apparently all the brighton boys get paid. What a waste of money. Looking fwd to a great game in 2 weeks time.
Sir_Q View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir_Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 21:55
Finally we can agree on something, Dorking and Sevenoaks are very similar, if you know what I mean WinkWink
SurreyRugby View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 22:14
Ha ha good one.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 22:31
Originally posted by SurreyRugby SurreyRugby wrote:

Well said Kentish man.i am tired of seeing money wasted on mediocre rugby players. Dorking are very similar to sevenoaks and I hope both clubs are successful this season. Dorking played Brighton the other day and apparently all the brighton boys get paid. What a waste of money. Looking fwd to a great game in 2 weeks time.

I suspect Dorking pay some of their players at least.
RAID ON
Kentishman View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 06:40
What a ridiculous comment. Why assume that Dorking pay? Just because a team is successful doesn’t mean that they have to pay to achieve their success. Dorking are an example of a well run club.
Happy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 07:32
A re-read of RFU regulation 7 and Part A material benefit FAQs Is always useful 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic