National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Promotion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 09:11
So if Dorking dont pay then I can only wonder why Harry Anscombe who dropped a league mid season and joined Dorking from Worthing a Nat 2 side(who pay all of their players) ?
I know Brockham is a lovely part of the world but I dont reckon he joined for the scenery😂

Edited by HAVANT TONY - 14 Mar 2022 at 09:12
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 09:57
Originally posted by HAVANT TONY HAVANT TONY wrote:

So if Dorking dont pay then I can only wonder why Harry Anscombe who dropped a league mid season and joined Dorking from Worthing a Nat 2 side(who pay all of their players) ?
I know Brockham is a lovely part of the world but I dont reckon he joined for the scenery😂

Along with Henry Birch. Some serious negotiating skills by Dorking getting them both in mid season for nothing Clap
Kentish Man View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentish Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 10:29
PM009  I understand that Henry Birch has joined Dorking as forwards coach after the departure of Matt Higginns and has subbed a couple of times for them
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 11:27
Originally posted by Kentish Man Kentish Man wrote:

PM009  I understand that Henry Birch has joined Dorking as forwards coach after the departure of Matt Higginns and has subbed a couple of times for them

I know he is/was a CRC for Rural Surrey so wouldn’t be surprised. Interesting model, pay him to coach but he plays for free LOL
Happy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 11:35
Makes more sense than coming from the other side of the world in a pandemic for absolutely nothing to play rugby LOL
HAVANT TONY View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 11:45
Originally posted by Kentish Man Kentish Man wrote:

Is Harry Anscombe a coach and occasional  sub as well ?🙄
Vuarnet View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vuarnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 11:56
Hi Tony

Its Henry Anscombe. He had unfortunately suffered an injury pre-season which may explain his appearance of late.

Best, Vuarnet 
Allez les bleus!
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 12:03
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by SurreyRugby SurreyRugby wrote:

Well said Kentish man.i am tired of seeing money wasted on mediocre rugby players. Dorking are very similar to sevenoaks and I hope both clubs are successful this season. Dorking played Brighton the other day and apparently all the brighton boys get paid. What a waste of money. Looking fwd to a great game in 2 weeks time.

I suspect Dorking pay some of their players at least.

They have 2 player/coaches + 1 player who does community coaching.

dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 12:05
Originally posted by PM009 PM009 wrote:

Originally posted by HAVANT TONY HAVANT TONY wrote:

Along with Henry Birch. Some serious negotiating skills by Dorking getting them both in mid season for nothing Clap

From what i understand Henry Birch didn't see eye to eye with Jordan Turner-Hall.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 12:34
Originally posted by Vuarnet Vuarnet wrote:

Hi Tony

Its Henry Anscombe. He had unfortunately suffered an injury pre-season which may explain his appearance of late.

Best, Vuarnet 

Hi VUARNET 
Long time no hear!
Hows life in level 6, the forum has died a death in your league, shame as it used to be quite fun?
Anyway... Harry or Henry it'll still say H.Anscombe on his brown envelope😂😂😂
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 12:35
Clap
Originally posted by Kentishman Kentishman wrote:

What a ridiculous comment. Why assume that Dorking pay? Just because a team is successful doesn’t mean that they have to pay to achieve their success. Dorking are an example of a well run club.

ClapClap
Fezantplucker
Vuarnet View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vuarnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 12:39
Hi Tony

I still look on more in hope than expectation! Hoping to bump into Dickon at season close but you are right , it was a bit of fun and I miss your slant on things, but its actually a white, embossed , envelope....

Best, Vuarnet
Allez les bleus!
SurreyRugby View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 13:25
Havant Tony is ill informed and guessing. A lot of throwaway comments for success, are you must be paying your players!

Dropout22, PM009 and Kentish Man are very well informed and are correct.

I will add if any of Sevenoaks, Dorking or North Walsham are promoted, the challenge of staying up becomes a lot more difficult if you do not play players. They kind of expect it at that level.

Dorking were promoted to Nat 2 South approx 6 years ago. Did brilliantly in the first season and finished 4th. Because they DID NOT PAY (and never have), a number of players left to joining Richmond, Rosslyn Park etc to gain a better level. We were sad to see them go, but you have to wish your best players the best of luck. In the 2nd season, we were relegated. Best you stay with your financial model. Im proud of the way Dorking behave and if we play at level 5 or lower to maintain our community model, then so be it!

Happy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 13:40
It's not only about "paying" it's also material benefits something very often overlooked when saying we've never paid 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 14:10
SURREY RUGBY
my information  came from mr H. Anscombe himself
He used to be  Chichester player and as "Chi" is only 8 miles up the road from us a few of our players know him well and he told them Dorking OUTBID another club for his services!!!
I suggest you ask him next time you see him and let me know if it is just a rumour?
SurreyRugby View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 15:42
As dorking have a better fly half playing at centre, the offer of better playing facilities, coaching and teamwork probably swayed him. He is good, but not as good matt noble.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 15:55

As dorking have a better fly half playing at centre, the offer of better playing facilities, coaching and teamwork probably swayed him. He is good, but not as good matt noble.

Dorking have better playing facilities than Worthing - are you serious?

RAID ON
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 16:32

Havant Tony is ill informed and guessing. A lot of throwaway comments for success, are you must be paying your players!

I will add if any of Sevenoaks, Dorking or North Walsham are promoted, the challenge of staying up becomes a lot more difficult if you do not play players. They kind of expect it at that level.

Dorking were promoted to Nat 2 South approx 6 years ago. Did brilliantly in the first season and finished 4th. Because they DID NOT PAY (and never have), a number of players left to joining Richmond, Rosslyn Park etc to gain a better level. We were sad to see them go, but you have to wish your best players the best of luck. In the 2nd season, we were relegated. Best you stay with your financial model. Im proud of the way Dorking behave and if we play at level 5 or lower to maintain our community model, then so be it!

Well said Surrey Rugby. And in our 2nd season at L4 when we were relegated (3rd from bottom) there were other mitigating circumstances. We had a few that moved on as you say, but also had several retire including our excellent now DOR Armand Roux. Additionally the 'eyes' at L4 had watched their videos and were more prepared after our storming 1st season. We also suffered from lots of longish term injuries and fell short in our strength in depth. Not complaining but we are in a much better place now under Armands 'One Club' ethos with a very strong 2nd team knocking on the door and the gap in comparative quality between 1,s and 2,s has narrowed considerably IMO. With the benefit of our club development including a 'Super state of art Gym' with a progressive strength and conditioning regime open to allcomers, it is no surprise to me that DRFC are ready to take up the challenge of L4 rugby again (God willing). In our Centenary Year it would be the most appropriate timing. Hardly surprising we are attracting quality ambitious players from all areas.   

Fezantplucker
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 16:53
Originally posted by FEZ ANT PLUCKER FEZ ANT PLUCKER wrote:

Well said Surrey Rugby. And in our 2nd season at L4 when we were relegated (3rd from bottom) there were other mitigating circumstances. We had a few that moved on as you say, but also had several retire including our excellent now DOR Armand Roux. Additionally the 'eyes' at L4 had watched their videos and were more prepared after our storming 1st season. We also suffered from lots of longish term injuries and fell short in our strength in depth. Not complaining but we are in a much better place now under Armands 'One Club' ethos with a very strong 2nd team knocking on the door and the gap in comparative quality between 1,s and 2,s has narrowed considerably IMO. With the benefit of our club development including a 'Super state of art Gym' with a progressive strength and conditioning regime open to allcomers, it is no surprise to me that DRFC are ready to take up the challenge of L4 rugby again (God willing). In our Centenary Year it would be the most appropriate timing. Hardly surprising we are attracting quality ambitious players from all areas.   

100odd mile round trip 3 x a week for zero material benefit, must be some gym!!!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 16:55
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Dorking have better playing facilities than Worthing - are you serious?

Raider. Is there any truth in the rumour that Messrs Birch, Anscombe, and Spurgeon left Worthing because your DOR upset them and brought in young players from Harlequins Academy whom he favoured. I dont know so I am just asking, but the grapevine of rugby gossip continues to thrive. I am just trying to understand why they left Worthing a L4 club to join Dorking who aspire to be a L4 club again.
Fezantplucker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
  Share Topic