National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RWC 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 18:41
Nobody wants rugby to call it a day.
But we need to ensure mothers are happy sending their children to mini and youth sessions.

Of course, this is not a new problem, and it is one of the reasons Soccer overtook Rugby in the 1890s, a campaign by mothers to get schools to play the "safer" game.

We may not all agree this is the correct way forward, but it is the line the IRB has taken.

The laws are there for a reason, and if players cannot meet them, they will be carded.
Curry's incident might have been an accident - I confess I did not watch the game - but Farrell's and Tuigali were poor technique.

Coaches need to work with their players to ensure they have the correct technique.
I was always taught to tackle cheek to 'cheek'.

Sweeney Delenda Est
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 20:01
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Intent or Malice may not be relevant but the rule is bleeding ridiculous. Just reflecting on how this ridiculous application of the rule is going to kill the game - accidentally colliding with a player bang heads get sent off! WTF

Try telling that to the hundreds of former players now suffering life-long neurological problems. Or better still to their families.

Did you read the whole statement or jump to your conclusion? It was obviously accidental in the Curry instance 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
carlos fandango View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlos fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 07:07
Perhaps we might be more accepting of a ban if the various committees also dished out bans for the SA and Welsh players who should have been carded even though nothing was given during the match. 

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 11:34
That is what citing commissioners were for, though with the TMO that should not be necessary.
Sweeney Delenda Est
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 17:40
Not much use after the event. The Fijians should rightly feel aggrieved.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2023 at 13:10

Intent or Malice may not be relevant but the rule is bleeding ridiculous. Just reflecting on how this ridiculous application of the rule is going to kill the game - accidentally colliding with a player bang heads get sent off! WTF

Try telling that to the hundreds of former players now suffering life-long neurological problems. Or better still to their families.

Did you read the whole statement or jump to your conclusion? It was obviously accidental in the Curry instance 

I read the whole statement thanks. Of course the Curry incident was accidental but plenty of past players are suffering life changing problems because of accidental collisions which is why I made the point I did.

In terms of injury it matters not a jot if the collision was an accident or not. I fail to see how that is not obvious.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2023 at 13:52

I read the whole statement thanks. Of course the Curry incident was accidental but plenty of past players are suffering life changing problems because of accidental collisions which is why I made the point I did.

In terms of injury it matters not a jot if the collision was an accident or not. I fail to see how that is not obvious.
Personally itdoesnt bother me that Curry got tge red, what really gets me is the inconsistent application of the laws.  The South African and Chilean players were equally as bad, but no red cards or bans.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2023 at 14:03
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Personally itdoesnt bother me that Curry got tge red, what really gets me is the inconsistent application of the laws.  The South African and Chilean players were equally as bad, but no red cards or bans.

World Rugby not doing themselves any favours by not releasing the footage that clears these tackles.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2023 at 23:13
Another one tonight - French lock v fortunate to just get yellow. PS Uruguay we’re excellent…
knightandday View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Doncaster Knights

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightandday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 06:58
I thought the Uruguay scrum was penalised harshly. The French prop’s always seemed to be on their bellies while Uruguay were still on their feet, to me that’s France not supporting their weight and pulling down, not driving straight and squarely. Another tier 2 nation being treated less favourably by a referee. 
Winning isn't everything, it just makes the beer taste better
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 07:43
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Another one tonight - French lock v fortunate to just get yellow. PS Uruguay we’re excellent…

Agreed.
Any head contact that resembles an ice hockey cross check with 1 arm tucked needs to be treated as foul play.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 09:32
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Agreed.
Any head contact that resembles an ice hockey cross check with 1 arm tucked needs to be treated as foul play.
Clear mitigation - the big lad is French = get out of jail free card.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 10:29
It is sad we even jest about that.

A no-arms tackle should be a clear penalty, and with head contact a card, whether you are playing for the pub XV or the World Cup hosts.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 10:31
Looked bad at the time, and on the replays:

Not sure how effective Taofifenua's tackle technique is - in my opinion a very poor attempt at a wrap with the left arm.

France's Romain Taofifenua avoided a red card for a high tackle on Thursday, raising more questions about inconsistent decisions from officials at the Rugby World Cup.

Lock Taofifenua was sent to the sin-bin for a no-arms tackle on Uruguay scrum-half Santiago Arata in the first half of France's Pool A win over Uruguay.

But his yellow card was not upgraded to a red by the bunker review system.

Sekou Macalou's involvement in the tackle proved to be a mitigation.

Analysis

BBC rugby union correspondent Chris Jones

Despite the clear head contact, the bunker official has deemed the change in height of the ball-carrier, forced by the first tackler, was enough mitigation for Taofifenua to avoid a red card.

However there are two questions that arise from this.

Firstly, was there actually a significant enough change in height, and - even more relevantly - was Taofifenua entitled to mitigation in the first place?

In the World Rugby head contact process flow chart, updated in March this year, there is a section that says "mitigation will not apply for intentional or always-illegal acts of foul play". With Taofifenua's left arm bent and not appearing to wrap, this could have applied here.

For example, in Owen Farrell's second hearing recently, the panel judged his tucked arm negated any mitigation and therefore the England captain was banned.

However, guidance from World Rugby on Friday morning said the bunker official determined the arm was not tucked or pressed against Taofifenua's side, hence the tackle was not "always illegal". Therefore mitigation can apply.

While supporters cry out for consistency, there will always be a degree of subjectivity given how no two incidents are the same. But what is abundantly clear is that there needs to be way better communication about how the bunker official comes to their decision, in order to help a confused audience.

WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 14:37
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Agreed but that's a whole different argument from "Just reflecting on how this ridiculous application of the rule is going to kill the game - accidentally colliding with a player bang heads get sent off! WTF" 
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 18:54
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

Surely the payments to players is ultimately paid from the prize money at the RWC and sponsors.

Sport sponsors pay more for winners.

Awful website to negotiate but reporting the RWC prize

Pool £250k
Quarter £600k
Semi £1.2M
R-up £2.5M
Final £4.8M

Edited by Paul10 - 26 Sep 2023 at 18:55
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 19:49
I presume these figures are per player, from 1 - 23 of the match day squad? Smile
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 20:00
Antoine Dupont: France captain 'could make Rugby World Cup quarter-final return'

There is "no doubt" that France captain Antoine Dupont could recover to play in a Rugby World Cup quarter-final, says forwards coach William Servat.

Dupont suffered a fractured cheekbone in Thursday's 96-0 win over Namibia.

France face Italy next on 6 October and, should they top Pool A, will play their quarter-final nine days later.

Namibia captain Johan Deysel, who was sent off for making head-to-head contact in a tackle on Dupont, will miss his team's next five matches.

Deysel learned his sanction at an independent disciplinary committee hearing on Tuesday.

Dupont had surgery a day after sustaining his facial injury and Servat added that he expects the Toulouse scrum-half, 26, to return to training at the weekend.

"The operation went well, he is resting," said Servat. "He will be back training on Sunday. Friday and Saturday are days off for us, he will have time to return in that period of time.

"I have no doubt about his ability to play in the quarter-final."
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 21:54
Ahah! Notwithstanding the opposition (and their lineout), the All Blacks have arrived 
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 22:54
First time I've seen Lamaro miss tackles.
NZ looking good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic