National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - National level 4: NATIONAL TWO  PROPOSED STRUCTURE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

National level 4: NATIONAL TWO PROPOSED STRUCTURE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: National level 4: NATIONAL TWO PROPOSED STRUCTURE
    Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 21:11
Good evening all 

It seems the powers that be (NCA/RFU/ have  ‘sort of’ come up with a league structure fair  consistent and representative  of all regions and levels of  modern day rugby😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. That’s a joke!! 

They have decided on a dodgy. Big T Shape!! The top of the T north. Then a very strange crooked line west and east.

So let’s s get the map out and see where you lie. I have seen  the proposed line in the West and East dividing line . Staggered is the first emotion.!!! 

Edited by Sedge Tiger - 13 Mar 2022 at 22:06
Give him one with handles on
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 21:15
You got a link to it, ST? 
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 21:34
Watching the third half yesterday it was mentioned that our game with Chester would be the first and last home game with them as we would be in different regions next season - am sure they said Chester would be in the South West Region?

Now I thought I knew about the geography of the UK and so, I would never believe Chester would, under any circumstances be classed as South West!!!

Here’s me naively thinking of North/South/Midlands as a geographical split.
The mind boggles thinking with clubs will be in our league next year?

Just got visions of Chester v Canterbury playing in the south west league.

Has anyone got the info about the split?

I was looking forward to a regional split to cut down travelling which is prevalent in Nat 1 and above, but not so much the short trip to Redruth. Having said that I once completed that trip in 5 1/2 hours when I lived in Sheffield.

Edited by Rothman2 - 13 Mar 2022 at 21:35
As one door closes…….another one slams in your face.
Sedge Tiger View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 21:43
RM2

That’s the fixture that got me . Chester are in National League Two West.  In the same league as Redruth. I think it’s the Christmas derby game!! 

F—king Bizarre comes to mind  

All the best 

ST

Edited by Sedge Tiger - 13 Mar 2022 at 21:48
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 21:50
Don’t worry! I get shown a new structure every week by somebody who claims to be an expert!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 21:59
Haliford .

As a respective and ‘connected’  Esher RFC representative. Why do the relevant central bodies send out such misleading information if not true. Seems strange to say the least. 

All the best 

ST

Edited by Sedge Tiger - 13 Mar 2022 at 22:09
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 22:15
When I first saw what was being planned I honestly thought it couldn't possibly go ahead, surely another solution could be found? With each month that has passed since then it's apparent this isn't some sort of joke and we'll actually be put into a league where our closest rivals are in Herefordshire and over two hours away (Luctonians).

I can't be the only one who thinks this whole debacle should have been kicked into the long grass. Even if we hadn't been one of the teams being impacted I'd have still come to the same conclusion; how could the suits making these decisions get it so wrong?

I like to travel to away games, normally 4-6 per season, but the new structure is going to reduce the number of games I'll be able to get to and that's a real shame. The flip-side of course is other people are going to feel the same and not bother making the trip up north to us. I love to see away fans in the stand, cheering for their teams and having the craic, that's what live sport is all about for me.

Rothman2 - I wasn't able to make it over for Saturday's game, though it was one of the fixtures I was looking forward to when you came down the this level. PM me if you're coming over for the return leg. If yesterday is anything to go by then it should be a belter. 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 22:32
DD 

It was your fixture that shocked us too at Sedge. We could not understand (lack of geography) that Chester was further south of the proposed ‘Sheffield.’ Line. It is utterly and shockingly bizarre. The game is heading for oblivion if this is the current direction. 

All the best 

ST 

BTW  top effort against Titans on SaturdayClapClapClap 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 22:51
The final structure at each level is going to depend on who is promoted.
If I were Chester, I would be praying for two Southern sides to come up from level 5.
And possibly a South Eastern side up from Nat 2 South.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 00:21
My back of an envelope count suggests that unless Blackburn slip up, say at Lymm, there will be 14 teams further North than Chester, even if two Southern sides come down from National 1.

Chester would have to hope no Northern team was relegated next season

If North Walsham, or Syston finish above Blackburn and no Northern team is relegated - perhaps because Doncaster or Ealing win their appeal, or they don't but Blackheath or Plymouth come down - then Chester would stay North, and would only end up being level transferred in a subsequent season if two Northern clubs were relegated.

Or we could drop level transfers, and tell the third place Northern side they cannot be promoted, but the fourth placed South Western side will be.

EDIT

One other hope for Chester, it that I noted Sheffield still have to play Syston  (3rd)  and Bridgnorth (4th). If either of those catch the Yorkshiremen, then Chester gets reprieved.

Edited by Camquin - 14 Mar 2022 at 08:55
Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 08:08
Originally posted by Sedge Tiger Sedge Tiger wrote:

Haliford .

As a respective and ‘connected’  Esher RFC representative. Why do the relevant central bodies send out such misleading information if not true. Seems strange to say the least. 

All the best 

ST

Everything seems to come from the DOCs, not NLR. I think the DOCs are just monitoring performance week by week. They are also trying to maintain their relevance as Level 4 breaks free of the Divisional structure. For example, I have ears it said that level transfers won’t happen any more. How would that work in the Midlands? The boundary lines between the Leagues would be flexible so clubs like Lions, Hinckley, Newport and Luctonians could change Leagues every season! 

The St George’s meeting rejected this structure but it was adopted, mainly because of pressure from below. We have to find a way of making it work so I suspect the regular “ leaks” are a way of seeking input into a final structure that NLR is happy with.
Tyke View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 08:14
Wasn't the excuse for the wholesale butchery, sorry reorganisation, of the leagues, that we needed to reduce travelling? Just asking for a friend....

If only Webb-Ellis hadn't given them the ball back!
oldman View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 08:49
Is there any provision for clubs to say no to being put in certain leagues? 
oldman
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 09:01
Tyke, yes, that was the reason given. Clubs, especially those at levels 5,6 and 7 wanted less travel and fewer games.

We have been concentrating on the problems at level 4, there is also no clarity over levels five and six, or over the structures for second teams in the counties that do not accept them into the pyramid, or those that are too strong for level 7.

And of course, there is no reason to think the changes will be enough to bring the Lancashire clubs back into the fold.

The next big disaster will be the national cups. But, that will not unfold for another year.
Sweeney Delenda Est
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 09:46
As someone from Cornwall who lives in South Cheshire, a delay free trip to Redruth from Chester (or vice versa) would normally take about 5/5.5 hours. However, given the frequent motorway issues at Bristol and Birmingham, “delay free” is a hope rather than an expectation.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 10:46
You have correctly identified the problem, Redruth is a long way from anywhere.
Now, what is the solution?
Sweeney Delenda Est
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 10:58
Put Redruth in a Welsh league.........................they are celts after all.............................Wink
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 11:37
Obviously, Redruth being promoted reduces the maximum travel in the South West, but Barnstaple and Exeter were in Wessex from about 650, so you have to cope with them in the Anglo-Saxon leagues.
Sweeney Delenda Est
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 12:19
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

You have correctly identified the problem, Redruth is a long way from anywhere.
Now, what is the solution?

The problem is not Redruth, it is suggesting that Chester is in the South West. 
Credulity can perhaps be stretched to include Stourbridge and Hinckley in the South West, but no further north or east than Hinckley, surely? 
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 12:57
Well we (Newport) look odds on for promotion and we're expecting to go South West so I guess Chester will be our local derby. Everyone is speculating at the moment but no-one can be absolutely sure until all the final promotions (and relegations from Nat1) are known. Personally I think Chester will remain in the north
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic