National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Leagues for 2022/23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GazJo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leagues for 2022/23
    Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 10:37
Sorry to bother everyone but I hope that someone might be able to help. Once the leagues for next season have been finalised would it be possible for someone to post them(say in Clubhouse Chat). so that everyone can follow exactly what has happened and where we stand for next season.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 12:46
Some things are being settled.

Already promoted

Midlands = Newport (Salop) and Sheffield
Northern = Otley and Preston Grasshoppers
South West = Exeter, Old Redcliffians, Hornets
London = Sevenoaks.

In contention
Blackburn (3rd in North on 91)
Dorking (2nd in London, 97)
North Walsham (3rd in London, 94)
Hertford (4th London, 91)

It is looking like it will be Dorking and North Walsham - but the joy of sport is that upsets happen.

So unofficially the "Northern" League looks like

1: Hull  (unless promoted)
1: Rotherham (unless promoted)
2: Sedgley Park (unless promoted)
3: Fylde Rugby (unless promoted)
4: Hull Ionians
5: Tynedale
6: Sheffield Tigers
7: Wharfedale
8: Blaydon
9: Harrogate
10: Huddersfield
11: Otley
12: Preston Grasshoppers
13: Sheffield
14: Leeds or Chester

If Leeds manages to stay up - either because they surge past Club, or because Ealing win their appeal, Chester could stay in the Northern league.  Otherwise they will go to the South West.

If Stourbridge or Blackburn were to be promoted, one of the Sheffield clubs would probably be moved into the South East.

If Blackburn and Stourbridge are promoted, both Sheffield clubs could go to the South East.

Edited by Camquin - 06 Apr 2022 at 12:47
Sweeney Delenda Est
Pr10r View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr10r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 13:27
I wonder if there is an option to promote just 1 team (Otley) from North Premier. This has nothing against Preston, but this does allow Chester to be placed back in the North as they should be?

Should the Ealing appeal be successful, Preston could be promoted?

.... Chester will probably have to fight against level transfer in the future anyway

In Victory, you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 14:24
Quick answer - NO there isn't an option. Published RFU criteria top 2 from each regional premier league plus however many are required to make up the numbers to 3 x 14. Also good luck explaining your proposal to Preston. Lots of clubs have "fought against level transfer" - to my knowledge absolutely NONE have succeeded! Nothing against Chester but they'll just have to take their medicine like all others who have "suffered" in the past
Thunderbird View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 14:42
That Bloke . Correct ! unless a club volunteers , you do as you are told, no matter what the consequences.
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 15:01
My own thoughts are that level transfers tend to be spread around the same few clubs closest to the division boundaries every few years. To make it slightly fairer (admittedly may increase mileage overall) I would introduce a rule that any team being level transferred should be protected for at least 5  years from doing it again (unless they choose to do so themselves)

Edited by Count Ford - 06 Apr 2022 at 15:03
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 15:04
I think there is a rule already in place Count Ford, similar to what you suggest but not sure of the exact details
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 15:15
Originally posted by Count Ford Count Ford wrote:

My own thoughts are that level transfers tend to be spread around the same few clubs closest to the division boundaries every few years. To make it slightly fairer (admittedly may increase mileage overall) I would introduce a rule that any team being level transferred should be protected for at least 5  years from doing it again (unless they choose to do so themselves)
There is such a rule. And it states any club that gets level transferred are protected from being forced to do so again for 2 years, unless they volunteer. Section 13.2.11.e.ii.f.

Edited by Robb - 06 Apr 2022 at 15:18
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 15:20
It is no longer called level transfer.
There are no "home" division, the RFU simply draws the boundaries afresh each season.
Of course, it amounts to exactly the same thing at level 4, as there is only one way to fit three leagues in to minimize distance.
At levels 5 and 6, I am expecting the leagues to change substantially each season.
Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 18:14
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Originally posted by Count Ford Count Ford wrote:

There is such a rule. And it states any club that gets level transferred are protected from being forced to do so again for 2 years, unless they volunteer. Section 13.2.11.e.ii.f.

Yes. My thoughts were extending it slightly to 5 years to stop the merry go round of the same clubs being up for level transfer every couple of years
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 18:43
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Quick answer - NO there isn't an option. Published RFU criteria top 2 from each regional premier league plus however many are required to make up the numbers to 3 x 14. Also good luck explaining your proposal to Preston. Lots of clubs have "fought against level transfer" - to my knowledge absolutely NONE have succeeded! Nothing against Chester but they'll just have to take their medicine like all others who have "suffered" in the past

I believe Acklam sort of won. They actually won the right to appeal against their transfer to Yorkshire due to errors in the process and communication. During the second process of contacting potential transferees another club volunteered to transfer.

So it is possible that had it been allowed to play out to the appeal they may have lost and had to transfer in the end anyway
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 20:54
Just the one change this week

Already promoted

London = Sevenoaks Dorking

In contention for the final place:
North Walsham (3rd in London, 99)
Blackburn (3rd in North on 96)
Hertford (4th London, 96)

North Walsham have more wins than Blackburn or Hertford, so two bonus points could do, unless Hertford take five points at Sevenoaks.

But we need to wait until St George's day.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 21:15
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Just the one change this week

Already promoted

London = Sevenoaks Dorking

In contention for the final place:
North Walsham (3rd in London, 99)
Blackburn (3rd in North on 96)
Hertford (4th London, 96)

North Walsham have more wins than Blackburn or Hertford, so two bonus points could do, unless Hertford take five points at Sevenoaks.

But we need to wait until St George's day.

Not sure how you get a 3rd place team as being promoted - as I understand the final 2 (or possibly 3 ) promoted teams may possibly be on geographical conditions rather tha poinrpts accrued this season - or perhaps you have different information?
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 21:39
I was assuming that the two best placed third place teams would go up to fill the leagues and that as the RFU seem happy for Chester to go South, they will take whoever.

Actually, it would suit the RFU for the two Southern teams to go up, as it balances the three leagues better.

The last thing they want is Blackburn going up - and both Chester and a Sheffield side heading South.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 21:54

I was assuming that the two best placed third place teams would go up to fill the leagues and that as the RFU seem happy for Chester to go South, they will take whoever.

Actually, it would suit the RFU for the two Southern teams to go up, as it balances the three leagues better.

The last thing they want is Blackburn going up - and both Chester and a Sheffield side heading South.

Camquin, I totally agree with your assessment of the 2 best placed 3rd placed teams being promoted, however I recall reading somewhere in this four rum that the RFU have the final say on the final 2 promoted teams decided as they see fit.
RAID ON
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 21:59
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Camquin, I totally agree with your assessment of the 2 best placed 3rd placed teams being promoted, however I recall reading somewhere in this four rum that the RFU have the final say on the final 2 promoted teams decided as they see fit.

If the RFU consume four rum each, it would justify the unusual thinking at HQ.
The older I get, the more the RFU leave me confused.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 22:27

North Walsham, in the North of Norfolk, lots of travel expenses? I can't see the RFU approving that!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 00:10
There is a catch-all clause that lets them make any change if one team is being overly penalized.
However, the question is, is Chester's position so bad that it would be sufficient reason not to promote Sheffield or Preston and instead promote third place Syston - or a fourth place side.

I still am not quite sure who will be the South Western league. I initially assumed Henley being an Oxfordshire side would go West, along with probably Worthing.  But  it could be that two of the Leicestershire sides are put in the 'South West' which would cut Chester's putative travel, and let Henley and Worthing stay East, but one of the Leicestershire sides would have to go East.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 08:22

I wouldn't believe everything (anything?) you read on this forum if I were you!
There is no way the RFU will use anything other than playing records to decide who gets promoted.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 12:47
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

I wouldn't believe everything (anything?) you read on this forum if I were you!
There is no way the RFU will use anything other than playing records to decide who gets promoted.

I will take your advice (with a large pinch of salt)
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic