National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Caldy v Sale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caldy v Sale
    Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 06:12
Thanks to everyone for their best wishes......yesterday was bonkers

Later today when my fingers are able to move in the way that my brain intends them to, I will give you all a potted version of what happened at Caldy's Paton Field yesterday together with a bit about the rugby.

- the iron will and self belief of the Caldy players and coaches
- the huge crowd that descended on Paton Field
- the 'flare' of some of the spectators
and the dignity of the Sale FC President and the Sale FC Head coach before and after the game

till later
''The future isn't what it used to be''
seagoon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote seagoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 10:12
I'll be looking forward to your observations BE 
I know that I had tears in my eyes when the ref blew the whistle for full-time
Happy tears, though! Tongue
Honestly couldn't say that I enjoyed the match, and it wasn't a great one for any neutrals , but I LOVED the result Clap
Such an amazing season considering that we lost the 1st 2 matches and then only lost 1 more in the entire season 
Fantastic team spirit and a wonderful group of lads (Ravers)
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 10:59
I have come to the conclusion Caldy just do not like National 1, so decided to get out as soon as possible each time.

Well done, iron will and self belief sum it up. We saw that when you fought back for the draw at Cambridge.

Have fun and I hope you manage to stay up.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 13:27

So, after a morning pick me up here is the story of the day. 

But before I start it is probably only right that I correct a misconception that I overheard from a couple of Sale supporters yesterday as I wandered around the ground. 

"Caldy has done very well to get this far on a playing budget of only £240,000" one said to another

I asked these fine fellows where they had gleaned such information, the usual answer was forthcoming "a friend of mine knows someone high up in Caldy's senior management". 

Of course, such an answer illustrated just how much tosh it was........senior management and Caldy are not words that belong in the same sentence.

Caldy's Chairman and his wife were with me and my wife and a few others clearing up Paton Field at the crack of dawn this morning. At Caldy everyone is in it together, there are no senior managers just senior citizens who do the stuff that needs to be done.

For the record Caldy's playing budget including all players and all coaches is less than £100k per annum. Fact!

Money helps but it isn't what determines success or enjoyment. That is down to belief, togetherness, a love of what you do and an ambition to be as good as you can be as a team.

So, to the day's events

The prelude

A gorgeous dry but blustery day promised to bring out the crowds and it did, 3,023 to be precise. How many were true rugby fans was perhaps debateable but from 10 a.m. they just kept coming.

They were treated to a warmup match between Caldy's 2nd xv who were playing Burnage in a league match in the Cotton Traders Premier League. The Caldy 2nd xv duly notched up their 41st consecutive win. It was a good omen.

Then Jimbo Lad’s convoy arrived, 3 coach loads of Sale FC supporters, a phalanx of Range Rovers with Sale FC flags fluttering from their rooftops, and the most awesome jet-black coach I have ever seen. Tinted windows, satellite dish, and luxurious body work, it portrayed the power and wealth of an oligarch on a mission to impress.

My stint on gate duty was timed to perfection. I put out my hand to signal the black dreadnaught should stop and as the tinted window slid back, I fully expected to come face to face with Darth Vader.

‘Darth Driver’ proudly explained his coach was carrying the directors of Sale Sharks and the Senior Rugby Management of Sale Sharks. I acknowledged this interesting fact and asked if those on board had paid their admission. Darth Driver asked what the tariff was and seemed happy enough with the £10 which he quickly proffered. He was less pleased when I explained that was for each person. Darth Driver then kindly again provided me with the same information as to who was aboard his flagship.

To avoid any awkwardness Big Giles (who is a lot, lot bigger than me) stepped in to help and all the admission was collected without much further fuss.

The pre-match meal and speeches

I wasn’t at the meal but one of Caldy’s Executive Travel Club members broadcast on What’s App that the President of Sale FC spoke very graciously and was a credit to his club. Pleasing this particular Caldy Executive Travel Club member is less than easy. Hats off to Sale FC Jimbo Lad!

The game

Intense, nervy, thunderous, attritional………any and all of these adjectives applied. Sale dominated the opening 20 minutes with pace and width, but Caldy had dominance in the set piece and close exchanges and scored a try from a driven maul to edge in front at the break 7-6.

Sale could have been two scores ahead at the break if it hadn’t been for Caldy’s superb defence, with flanker Callum Ridgway and second row Sam Dickinson putting in the most spectacular last-ditch tackles to prevent what seemed like certain scores.

Caldy dominated the second half, and it was Sale’s turn to defend for long periods. When Sale kicked another pen to take the lead 7-9 it seemed it may just be enough. Caldy’s dominant scrum seemed not to the referee’s liking and promising positions were lost to Sale penalties.

Camping in the Sale half for nearly all of the last 30 minutes Caldy couldn’t buy a score. Nick Royle was beaten by the bounce of the ball after his trademark kick and chase looked to have given him a certain score. Promising catch and drive opportunities and Caldy scrum chances were lost due to penalty turnovers and Ben Jones had a shot at goal to restore the lead but missed his first effort.

When another chance came his way 45 metres out and with only 3 minutes to go, Ben Jones made no mistake and closed the game out with another penalty in the last play of the game.

Both sets of players put in Herculean effort but on the day the Caldy players just had too much dog for the ‘Dogs’.

Caldy won the game, the National 1 title and promotion to the Championship

Sale may have little left in the tank but need to go dogging again next week against Chinnor to sew up a very creditable second place.

The aftermath

Sale DOR Johnathan Keep is a class act and in his interview for the Rugby Paper he was magnanimous and gracious in defeat and gave praise to his team for their effort and to Caldy for their great achievement. Keepy and Tote are top blokes

The Caldy Players lived up to their name and Raved on until the early hours of Sunday morning. They were joined by the many hundreds who stayed behind to party including one senior citizen who gave everyone a scare. Collapsing on the patio outside the clubhouse isn’t a good look. 4 doctors took it in turns to resuscitate the unconscious chap who earlier had been pronounced by a few unqualified revellers as ‘definitely dead’.

The ambulance arrived and the barely conscious chap was eventually taken with sirens and flashing lights to A&E. Earlier this morning I had a chat with Lazarus when he came up to the club to collect his jacket. He didn’t remember much about the event, but he did say that he didn’t think he had been dead at any point in the evening and suggested that he was a good ‘power napper’ and he had probably just been a little over tired.

What the future holds for Caldy

I have no idea what the future holds for Caldy. However, I do know I will miss going to all the clubs I have visited this year in National 1. It has been tremendous fun. There will be a whole bunch of new clubs to visit next year.

I wonder what the Championship will make of Pot Noodle and Caldy’s Wooden Shack?

Win Or Lose We Are On The Booze !

Edited by Big Eddie - 24 Apr 2022 at 13:31
jimbojetset View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 13:46
As days go it was at the very least emotionally draining. As we say at the start of every season, we aim to finish with more points than last season. This season that would have put us comfortably mid-table, however, for whatever reason, two Cheshire clubs went on a run of form and between them probably shocked most clubs, but probably themselves most of all. 

Hats off to Caldy who are the only team to beat us home and away (so far with Chinnor at home next week) and to all the players of both clubs who gave it everything in a very tight match. At the very least they should have some fun in the Championship and maybe spread a little joy.

The atmosphere at Patton Field was astonishing with more than 3,000 people watching and more importantly spending behind the bar and on the gate. All clubs struggle financially, and those without a money man need to be sustainable. As for the amount Caldy spend on their players/coaches etc, who knows where people get their "information" it always seems slightly odd when people external to the club seem to "know" more about clubs than those that are involved in running them.

Congratulations to Caldy, their players, supporters, Coaches, Exec and their Minis and Juniors. Cheshire now has Premiership, Championship, National One and National 2 teams. Not bad for a place the boys at Twickers have probably only ever heard of but never been to.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 14:02
Jimbo Lad, your players, your coaches, your supporters and yourself were a credit to Sale FC and to proper club rugby. 

It was a sensational day, Caldy won but it was oh so tight. Wherever I stood there were so many Sale supporters around me .............that was a strange experience .........but some real top banter. 

After Caldy inched ahead through Ben Jones' monster kick one Sale lad, who was surrounded by a lot of Caldy colts who he obviously knew, turned to them and said "I am not really a Sale supporter.......I just love Nev Edwards"

I spoke to Keepy before the game to ask that he make himself available for interview after the game for the Rugby Paper. I know it is a tough ask if you have just lost a big game and we have been rebuffed by some DOR/Head Coaches this season who have just said "Expletive Off" but Jonathan was as gracious as always. It is the second time in 5 years he has fronted up after the narrowest of league title losses at Paton Field.

A pity we won't have two great derby matches against Sale FC next year...........

Edited by Big Eddie - 24 Apr 2022 at 14:04
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 14:31
You will have to make do with Doncaster as your derby
Sweeney Delenda Est
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 16:22
Well done to all involved at Caldy. 
Great achievement.
All Knwoing All Seeing
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 16:29
Some great videos online of the celebrations: it must be the proximity to Wales that renders the Caldy Male Voice Choir capable of such tuneful harmonies... ClapLOLBeer
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 17:40
Outstanding Big E just outstanding long may this last 

Proper rugby, proper club, proper people and players that want to do it for the shirt

Good luck in the Champ 
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 21:56
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Outstanding Big E just outstanding long may this last 

Proper rugby, proper club, proper people and players that want to do it for the shirt

Good luck in the Champ 

stonehousealbion View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonehousealbion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 07:14
New song for Caldy - the little club that could...

Stuck at home looking for Nat 1 updates on Twitter, I couldn't believe the lack of score changes at Paton Field, but you stuck with it and triumphed.

Massive respect.
Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 08:11
Originally posted by stonehousealbion stonehousealbion wrote:

New song for Caldy - the little club that could...

Stuck at home looking for Nat 1 updates on Twitter, I couldn't believe the lack of score changes at Paton Field, but you stuck with it and triumphed.

Massive respect.

LOLLOL
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 08:30
I love your musings Big Eddie.  It seems to me that The Championship is in for a treat.

Congratulations on an epic year.  Well done to Sale FC who must be favourites next season.

Up The North
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 11:43
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

I love your musings Big Eddie.  It seems to me that The Championship is in for a treat.
Congratulations on an epic year.  Well done to Sale FC who must be favourites next season.
Up The North

Thank you backrowb..............rugby isn't life but it is darn close to it. You get out what you put in and my motto has always been 'Happy is as good as it gets' 

I hope I am as happy in the Championship as I have been in National 1 and National 2

Kind Regards

Big Eddie

PS I hope they have a Jimbo Lad in the Championship............
seagoon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 15:21
Just heard our chairman, Gary Devaney, do an interview with Naga Munchetty on Radio 5 and he was a great credit to our club 
Gary + his wife were at the club on Sunday morning sweeping up after Saturday's high jinks!
That says it all, really Clap
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 16:00
Yes seagoon as usual it was a good interview by Gary. I hadn't really thought about the fact that Saturday's crowd was 300% of Caldy's population and about 35% of West Kirby's population............accordingly Caldy could struggle to justify putting up a 10,000 seater stadium for the 23/24 season

Perhaps with his connections Gary could negotiate a ground share with Everton?

Edited by Big Eddie - 25 Apr 2022 at 16:02
seagoon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 16:05
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Yes seagoon as usual it was a good interview by Gary. I hadn't really thought about the fact that Saturday's crowd was 300% of Caldy's population and about 35% of West Kirby's population............accordingly Caldy could struggle to justify putting up a 10,000 seater stadium for the 23/24 season

Perhaps with his connections Gary could negotiate a ground share with Everton?

LOLLOLLOL

jimbojetset View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 16:39

Unlikely, fortunately I'm "unique"
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 17:00
Originally posted by jimbojetset jimbojetset wrote:

Unlikely, fortunately I'm "unique"

LOLLOL

Self deprecation takes you a long way Jimbo Lad......just get Sale FC into the Championship next season!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic