National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

NL1 - Signings, Retentions & Departures 22/23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 18:30
Moseley have signed Josh Olver at hooker.  The club announcement is a bit light on detail, but I can see that he's been at Wuss in the past (possibly in their academy?) and was playing for Droitwich a couple of years ago.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 16:06
Lets hope Wasps can pay his wages!!!
Run with it
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 10:46
Press release from Moseley:

Birmingham Moseley share a joint announcement regarding the departure of Ashley Johnson to take forward his coaching career with Wasps.

Following Richard Beck’s decision to step down from his role due to personal reasons, Wasps are delighted to announce that former player, Ashley Johnson, has agreed a deal to become the Club’s new Senior Academy Forwards Transition Coach.

Fan favourite Johnson, who joins us from National League 1 side Birmingham Moseley Rugby, won the hearts of the Wasps faithful during his time as a backrow in the eight years he spent at the Club between 2012 and 2020.

Speaking of Johnson’s signing, Men’s Head Coach, Lee Blackett, said:
“To have one of the best signings in our history back at the Club is great news. During his time as a player, he was a key member of the squad and his energy around the training ground was infectious.

“He understands what it means to be a Wasp, which is a huge advantage for an Academy Coach who is developing players to join the senior squad.
“His work at Birmingham Moseley has been impressive and we are delighted to have him back with us.”

Johnson shared his excitement to be joining Wasps Academy:
“I am delighted to be joining Wasps Academy and look forward to developing the next generation of Wasps Players.
“I want to thank Birmingham Moseley for giving me the opportunity to learn and grow as a coach in the last couple of years. Adam Balding and Pete Glackin have been instrumental in mentoring me and I want to wish them and the Club all the best for the new season.
“I am excited be a part of Wasps again, it almost feels like all those years back when I first joined the Club.”

Beck, who joined Wasps in June 2019, has been instrumental in the Academy set up during his time. The Club would like to thank him for his hard work and dedication during his time with us.

Matt Williams, Academy Manager, commented: “Richard leaves Wasps with our very best wishes, he has been a crucial part of the Academy staffing group over the last few years. His work ethic & knowledge have earnt him great respect from staff & players alike. He will be a tough act to follow.

“It will be great to welcome Ashley back to the environment. His knowledge of the game is excellent and will really add to the players development. It will also be an excellent opportunity for Ashley to continue his development as a coach!”

Adam Balding, Birmingham Moseley Director of Rugby said:
“ Ashley came to us following a stellar playing career with South Africa and Wasps as a player & forwards coach. Ashley quickly made his mark both on and off the field becoming an inspiration to players, particularly in our mini and junior sections. Although relatively new to the coaching role he passed on his considerable experience to players at all levels of the club. Ashley was instrumental in helping Birmingham Moseley to gain a reputation for having one of the most formidable packs in National League 1.

Whereas we are sorry to see Ashley go we are proud to have played a part in helping him pursue his coaching career and we wish him every success in his new role with Wasps, the door will always be open to welcome Ashley and his family back to Billesley Common.”

Ashley played a few games last season, usually at hooker, but I don't think was intending to this season.  We'll miss him, but we clearly can't stand in his way when an opportunity like this presents itself.

"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 14:44
Originally posted by kingsheathlad kingsheathlad wrote:

Liam Munro, Moseley back row, stepping down from playing rugby. All the best in the future. 
Full time with the Frog Squad now then.
(Sounds odd, but it's what the family business is called. I used to do a bit of part timing for his granddad back in the seventies. Next village to me, and also the next village to the one that another former Cov forward was brought up in. Richard Coc kerill).
Our City,
Our Club
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 20:25
Cambridge new signing

We are really pleased to announce the signing of Welsh midfielder, Tom Hoppe.

He is a promising young centre who has developed in the Dragons Academy over the last few seasons. Hoppe was included in Wales U20 Six Nations squad in 2019 and represented Wales in the World Rugby Junior Championship. He has also played Welsh Premiership rugby for Newport, Bedwas and Cardiff.

DoR Richie Williams commented, “I am excited to watch Tom pull on the Cambridge shirt this season. He is an exciting young player who will add quality to our back line. He already has a wealth of experience and his physical attributes will complement both our defence and attack. I must say a huge thank you to Price Bailey, one of our key corporate partners; who Tom will begin working with in August. It once again demonstrates the strong relationships we place on supporting players on and off the field.”

Tom added “I am delighted to be joining Cambridge this season. I liked the vision of the club that Richie had and Cambridge is a fantastic city to live and work. With the players we have, I am hoping to be pushing for promotion into the Championship. They have a really exciting squad and a strong coaching team. It will be my first year playing in England and I can’t wait to begin.”
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 14:44
Liam Munro, Moseley back row, stepping down from playing rugby. All the best in the future. 
Cauliflower ear.
BE57 REF View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BE57 REF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 19:44
Rian has a terrific turn of speed and a real finisher’s eye for the line. He deserves a crack at National 1 and I’m sure working with Richie Williams will make him an even better player. 
Just call me "Sir".
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 17:46
More from Cambridge

Dan Brough (New Signing)- We are pleased to welcome outside back, Dan Brough to Cambridge Rugby for the 2022/23 season.

At just 20 years of age, he has huge potential to further develop as he looks to establish himself in National 1. Originally from the Midlands, Dan has just returned from a 2-year spell in Portugal where he played in the top division for Benfica. Dan has also represented Hungary in both 7’s and 15’s and was one of the leading try scorers in the recent European 7’s Trophy Competition.
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote front5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 00:57
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Originally posted by Fake_Shemp Fake_Shemp wrote:

Mowden have signed Max Fraine from Waimea Old Boys. The 22-year-old hooker is a product of the Crusaders Academy and will join his teammates in Darlington after the season is finished in New Zealand.

Mowden All Blacks are looking strong

With the recruitment so far DMP could be a surprise package, if the scrum and front row are solid to let their backs go! Who knows they could push Rosslyn Park? 

Apparently there are a few more to be announced also - returning players and additional all blacks and a few from north of the border.  
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 16:35
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Gus Locke, third choice scrum half has gone to Oz.

Thanks for info!
Fake_Shemp View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fake_Shemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 12:13
Darlington Mowden Park have welcomed a trio of Durham University players into the 1st XV squad as preparations continue for the 2022/23 season. Joe Collier (scrum half), Hamish Murray and Michael Carr (both props) have all joined up with Mowden’s pre-season training sessions, and will be available at certain periods around their university commitments.

The trio will continue to train with the club during pre-season and the early part of the season before the Durham programme starts back up in full. Asked about welcoming them into the squad, DMP Director of Rugby Garry Law said: “It's been great having the lads involved so far. Hopefully we can see some availability from them in the early part of the season and at periods throughout. They have integrated very well into the squad and added competition throughout.”

Edited by Fake_Shemp - 27 Jul 2022 at 12:14
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 11:45
Originally posted by Fake_Shemp Fake_Shemp wrote:

Mowden have signed Max Fraine from Waimea Old Boys. The 22-year-old hooker is a product of the Crusaders Academy and will join his teammates in Darlington after the season is finished in New Zealand.

Mowden All Blacks are looking strong
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 23:07
Gus Locke, third choice scrum half has gone to Oz.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 18:40
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

The Esher squad is coming together now. Apart from the 3 retirements at the end of last season, the only departure has been Cameron Zeiss to Rosslyn Park. 

New signings include:

Ben Robbins (wing) and Jack Rouse (back row) from Richmond
James Gulliver (back row) and Harry Robinson (wing) from Leeds Beckett University
Will Foster (wing) and Owen Waters (fly half) from Rosslyn Park 
Harry Faulkner (Fly Half/Full Back) from Camberley
Jacob Ham (scrum half) from Chinnor
Dan Lamb (prop) from Blackheath
Sam O'Leary-Blade from Loughborough Students
Sam M'Boge from Hong Kong Scottish, formerly Exeter University

1 wing retires and 5 join! Interesting selection decisions!!

More to come next month!

Did you post a while back that Esher have also lost a player who was emigrating to Australia? If so can you tell us who he is?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fake_Shemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 14:35
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote front5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 13:50
Ali Ledingham was capped for the German national team playing on the wing.
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 17:34
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Rian Hamilton joins the Blood & Sand
Sat 23 Jul 2022 10:02

Rian Hamilton (New Signing)- Rian joins us from National 2 North team, Wharfedale where he has been a prolific try scorer the last 3 seasons. Last season he crossed the whitewash on 22 occasions. Rian has previously represented Yorkshire Carnegie and a number of high-profile teams on the 7’s circuit. He has also represented his home county Yorkshire in the recent County Championships.

Very good player. If the national 7s teams were organised he'd be playing for England.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fake_Shemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 13:31
Chris Campbell, a lock, has signed for a second spell at Mowden. He previously played for us between 2011-15 when we gained promotion to National 1
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 12:38
Rian Hamilton joins the Blood & Sand
Sat 23 Jul 2022 10:02

Rian Hamilton (New Signing)- Rian joins us from National 2 North team, Wharfedale where he has been a prolific try scorer the last 3 seasons. Last season he crossed the whitewash on 22 occasions. Rian has previously represented Yorkshire Carnegie and a number of high-profile teams on the 7’s circuit. He has also represented his home county Yorkshire in the recent County Championships.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fake_Shemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 18:47
Mowden have signed Connor Fitzsimmons, a 23 year-old New Zealander. The centre played for Irish side Rainey Old Boys last season. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic