National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

REGIONAL 1 SOUTH CENTRAL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 30>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 20:28
Regional 1 South Central is definitely not as strong as last year's  London  South East premier but having said that I'm  thoroughly enjoying it dodging the never ending trips anti clockwise on the M25 has been good with 6 new clubs to visit
Wimbledon  are the best side we've faced so far, and we have been run close by London welsh and maidenhead away from home and had a mare at Brighton so I feel there's a few twists and turns to come but I'm confident  we will be at the right end of the table at the end fighting for promotion 
Good to see westcombe Park doing well in regional One South East but quite surprised by Hertford  and Medway's  positions!

Not quite sure Sevenoaks and North Walsham will agree with the national leagues  being watered down as their position in the table suggests otherwise, Dorking on the other hand are flying. The National League's YouTube channel is worth a watch, would be good if they could do the same for Regional 1 but I think that is gonna fall on deaf lugholes !!
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 20:52
Originally posted by Thunderbird Thunderbird wrote:

Your not wrong there. The jump used to be from Nat3ldn to Nat 2. In a couple of seasons it will be between Nat 2 and Nat 1.

I think that jump is already there. The Esher coaches were confident about our ability to cope at National 1 with the team that won promotion. The facts are not supporting that confidence! Nat 1 is tougher than it used to be.
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 09:17
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Your not wrong there. The jump used to be from Nat3ldn to Nat 2. In a couple of seasons it will be between Nat 2 and Nat 1.

I think that jump is already there. The Esher coaches were confident about our ability to cope at National 1 with the team that won promotion. The facts are not supporting that confidence! Nat 1 is tougher than it used to be.
Possibly due to the Premiership standard rising and full of foreigners thus forcing better players down a league and then having a domino effect downwards ?
The older I get, the better I was.
The Inside man View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Inside man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 08:16
I have been surprised at the results in region 1 south central. London Welsh have failed to find the form of previous seasons, having pushed Havant close at home they went down to a big defeat to Camberley? 

Havant, Wimbledon and Camberley look to be breaking away. 

With only the top team being promoted, it’s going to be an interesting season. Havant have to travel to both Camberley and Wimbledon yet - does that make them least favourite to win it? 
HAVANT TONY View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 10:43
Originally posted by The Inside man The Inside man wrote:

I have been surprised at the results in region 1 south central. London Welsh have failed to find the form of previous seasons, having pushed Havant close at home they went down to a big defeat to Camberley? 

Havant, Wimbledon and Camberley look to be breaking away. 

With only the top team being promoted, it’s going to be an interesting season. Havant have to travel to both Camberley and Wimbledon yet - does that make them least favourite to win it? 
"LEAST FAVOURITE  TO WIN IT"....That'll  do me, nothing worse than being toted as Favourites, I'd  be happy for us to bear that cross of motivation until the fat bird grunts
WIMBLEDON are a good side but beatable ( just ask Camberley!)  a very good move off of a lineout led to their winning score apart from that we matched them in what was a very tight game
CAMBERLEY never got near our line for the whole game at our place
Both of those are gonna be  tough places to visit ...can't  wait

Edited by HAVANT TONY - 11 Nov 2022 at 11:17
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 11:48
Originally posted by WESTCOMBE RANGER WESTCOMBE RANGER wrote:

Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Possibly due to the Premiership standard rising and full of foreigners thus forcing better players down a league and then having a domino effect downwards ?

Not sure about the first part of that question! Certainly I have noticed that the last two teams we played - Cinderford and Cambridge - were way more experienced than the Esher team. We celebrated someone making their 50th appearance against Cinderford who averaged 70 appearances and had 3 over 150, all at National 1. Last week the Cambridge side had a similar level of experience and their newer players had all come from the Championship or other National 1 Clubs. There are a lot of good, experienced players in National 1 and we need a larger share of them!
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Inside man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 22:23
Wow, some close results today! Oxford quins pushed hard by Banbury. Havant dropping another bonus point away from home, and Wimbledon winning a close one against Bracknell. 

Any news from those games? 

I enjoyed my trip to Brighton to watch Welsh throw away another half time lead! 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 17:07
Close game at Sutton & Epsom, we were without 4 of our pack regulars and our scrum half for the game so pretty pleased with the result, thank God we've got a week off!!
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Inside man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 17:15
Rumours your loose head is signing for rams? A big loss?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 18:28
Originally posted by The Inside man The Inside man wrote:

Rumours your loose head is signing for rams? A big loss?
I haven't  heard anything about that at all??? Where have you got that from ? Elliot is one hell of a player so rumours will exist out there but a rumour is exactly  what that is I reckon
@boatyjames View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @boatyjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 13:35
Originally posted by PM009 PM009 wrote:

I agree level 4 has been diluted in quality with the introduction of a number of teams at that level, I do agree reducing the number of games to 26 from 30 was the right thing to do, 30 game league with that travel and intensity was extremely challenging on the players.

I think level 4 in the South has lost a lot of kudos. For clubs in the South East, losing the trips to Bristol, Cornwall etc. the league has lost a lot of what made it such a challenge and enjoyable. Its has become an extension of regional rugby as opposed to National League IMO. Preference would've been to reduce the league to 14 sides but kept the boundaries the same, decrease numbers and increase quality.

Totally agree with this appraisal.
Nat 2 South should have been dropped to being a 14 team league but otherwise left alone - the trips to Redruth, Barnstable, Cinderford etc were great fun. And I think level 5 could still handle being 14 team leagues.
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Inside man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 18:40
So I was having a good chat with a friend, who happens to be a supporter of Bournemouth. We was discussing the teams in the league and couldn’t agree if they Camberley pack was any good?! 

I watched Brighton give them a good game and wasn’t massively impressed! 

Thoughts?  
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 21:36
I think  Camberley are the most well-rounded team I've seen in several years. Threats across the entire fifteen, sharp backs, ultra-effective lineout and seriously powerful scrum. Maybe they had an off-day at Brighton
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 10:27
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

I think  Camberley are the most well-rounded team I've seen in several years. Threats across the entire fifteen, sharp backs, ultra-effective lineout and seriously powerful scrum. Maybe they had an off-day at Brighton

They must've had an off day against us as well then!
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Inside man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 11:13
Wish to expand? 
@boatyjames View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @boatyjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 16:02
OK _ there aren't many of us left but why not - predictions for this Saturday?

Havant V Bracknell
London Welsh V Bournemouth
Maidenhead V Sutton & Epsom
Oxford Harlequins V Camberley
Royal Wootton Bassett V Brighton
Wimbledon V Banbury

So predictions of the points won by each team i.e. Havant 5 Bracknell 2

If a few people get involved I will staret a seperate thread and work out the league table
Karlos F View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlos F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 09:10
Havant 5 v 0 Bracknell, home side on form
LWelsh 4 v 1 Bournemouth, unlucky last time out.
Maids  5 v 2 S&E tough call.
Quin's  2 v 5 Camberley, title chase is on or can Quin's stay in the running.
RWB.   2 v 5 Bton, long trip but why not.
Dons   5 v 2 Banbury, Dons on form at home.

WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 10:09
Hope it's OK for an insurgent from the East Side to join in.

Havant 5 v 0 Bracknell, (Tony would not be best pleased if I predicted anything other than this)
LWelsh 5 v 1 Bournemouth. Welshies getting to grips with this league but won't be easy,
Maids  5 v 0 S and E - On a rock hard playing surface it could be A and E as well
Quin's  0 v 4 Camberley, Can't see Camberly losing this, but expecting a close game
RWB.   1 v 4 Bton, Another close call
Dons   5 v 0 Banbury, A no brainer, just like most Saturday nights out.

Edited by WESTCOMBE RANGER - 24 Nov 2022 at 10:09
The older I get, the better I was.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 10:30
HAVANT 5 BRACKNELL 0
LW 5 BOURNEMOUTH 0
MAIDENHEAD 5 S&E 0
QUINS  1 CAMBERLEY 5
RWB 1  BRIGHTON 4
WIMBLEDON 5 BANBURY 0
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 11:19
Havant 5-0 Bracknell
London Welsh 5-1 Bournemouth
Maidenhead 5-0 Sutton & Epsom
Oxford Harlequins 0-5 Camberley
Royal Wootton Bassett 4-1 Brighton
Wimbledon 5-0 Banbury
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 30>
  Share Topic