National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

REGIONAL 1 SOUTH CENTRAL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REGIONAL 1 SOUTH CENTRAL
    Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 20:27
Just thought I'd  start a new thread for our league.
Banbury away for our first fixture is gonna be interesting especially  if  Tongauiha plays for them 
Stoatgobbler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatgobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 17:37
Opening fixtures, 3rd Sept 2022.

Maidenhead v London Welsh.
Bournemouth v Royal Wootton Bassett.
Brighton v Oxford Harlequins.
Camberley v Wimbledon.
Banbury v Havant.
Bracknell v Sutton & Epsom.
Happy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 19:06
Looking at some of the quality recruitment going in this league is going to be fascinating 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatgobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 07:25
London Welsh have introduced a £7.50 ground entrance charge for this season.
HAVANT TONY View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 08:13
Blimey £7.50 !!!  I bet their fans love it when they go to  away matches where they'll  generally pay NOTHING such as at our place
Will be looking for a hole in the fence when I go there then😂
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 08:28
At the AGM, we were told that the Board had done some research and found that at least half of the clubs in the league charge for entry, and the price ranged from £5 to £10.  I've paid £10 to watch London Irish at L5 in the past.  Personally I'm not in favour, but given the increased cost base (primarily travel, plus energy bills - we don't pay players!) I can understand the rationale.
Anonymous View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anonymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 12:48
Don’t pay players 🤣🤣. That’s a funny one.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatgobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 13:06
Originally posted by Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

Don’t pay players �£ï¿½£. That’s a funny one.

We don't.

We tried that one before.
It didn't work.

Last season, we paid £5 to get into London Irish Wild Geese.
It was disguised as a 'raffle ticket'.
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 14:01

If we paid players, you'd have tried signing for us by now.
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 15:42
Why do we in Rugby sell ourselves short and think the product we put on display does not warrant people paying to watch?   It is the norm to pay to watch in Football at far lower levels than what we are talking about, and yes I know we are very different sports, but we should not be afraid to mirror some of their practices.    It does not have to be about paying players....as we can all work out, a 100 people paying £5 isnt going to make many players rich! To me it is recognising the effort done by clubs and the lads that put on a bloody good afternoons entertainment.  From my experience at my club, the initial decision to charge was concerning but gates did not drop, and in fact some people commented that they stayed away as they thought it was  "private members only"  but because we charged they could now come and watch.  
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 17:13
Originally posted by Stoatgobbler Stoatgobbler wrote:

We don't.

We tried that one before.
It didn't work.

Last season, we paid £5 to get into London Irish Wild Geese.
It was disguised as a 'raffle ticket'.

I think raffle tickets are exempt from vat, where as gate receipts are taxable. 
Cauliflower ear.
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 17:50
When we first reached the dizzy heights of level 6, dragging ourselves out of the chip shop leagues we were surprised to be charged at away games. This would have been 12 years ago if I remember correctly.
We introduced a small charge which ballooned up to £5 when we first rocketed up to level 5.
That’s probably 8 years ago and it’s still £5, it gets you safe parking and a little brochure/programme. We still don’t pay players to play for our Club.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 20:13
We don't pay our players nor do we pay our coaches, we tried that donkeys years ago and the club nearly went jugs up ! I remember when my boy was playing for the club and  for several seasons trying to ask for £3 for a program that let you into the stand on match days! Blimey it was murder I can tell you!
We haven't  got a " money man" but just look at where we are without all of that, we get a decent crowd on a Saturday who are very thirsty and chuck a fair few quid behind the bar and our superb clubhouse  is hired out regularly
Don't get me wrong I'd  love it for our players and coaches to get a few quid, they deserve it....but it just ain't there to be had, what boils my pee is when some club's say they don't pay but we all know they do by various "pretend" coach methods etc. Anyway I digress
If we tried to charge £7.50 for people to get into hooks lane then you'd get told to "F" off... or something similarly spiceyBig smile

Edited by HAVANT TONY - 04 Aug 2022 at 20:15
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 21:49
Sounds wonderful. Where can I find these people who are skilled, dedicated, accountable and willing to work for free? Do you have a conveyerbelt of them? RFU wet dream
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 08:06
Originally posted by rugbychris rugbychris wrote:

Sounds wonderful. Where can I find these people who are skilled, dedicated, accountable and willing to work for free? Do you have a conveyerbelt of them? RFU wet dream
Wet dream...yuk!!!
nip down to Havant Chris, you'll  get a warm welcome not a wet one... just don't expect to get paid for anything you volunteer to do
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 08:16
Originally posted by HAVANT TONY HAVANT TONY wrote:

We don't pay our players nor do we pay our coaches, we tried that donkeys years ago and the club nearly went jugs up !
I'd say that we're probably the biggest and best example of the perils of living beyond your means, hence why we don't pay our players now - although the DoR is remunerated (the limit was £10k at L6, not sure if it increases at L5).  I'm not going to get into a forensic discussion of our P&L, but I would be very surprised if we're the only club in the league charging for entry this year.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 17:01
Welcome to Level 5. I was shocked too that clubs actually charged when mine first got promoted.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 16:29
Originally posted by HAVANT TONY HAVANT TONY wrote:

Blimey £7.50 !!!  I bet their fans love it when they go to  away matches where they'll  generally pay NOTHING such as at our place
Will be looking for a hole in the fence when I go there then😂

You'll need to find the fence first!
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 09:00
Quite surprised by this discussion. In the north we’ve paid to watch games for years. I’d say average is £5 even at level 6 and 7.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 13:56
I obviously can't vouch for clubs asking for money in the North being the fact that you can't really get any further south than my club Havant , unless you want to swim to the channel islands!!
but I ain't paid a penny anywhere for years at level 6 and below
But it looks like level 5 is gonna be  different...Will be fun trying to dodge paying thoughWink

Edited by HAVANT TONY - 09 Aug 2022 at 13:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
  Share Topic