National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - England have tested fans' patience but heading...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

England have tested fans' patience but heading...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 12:01
Having watched the game and the Kick to touch I cannot say I blame the decision. They were just outside their own 22 yard area - the potential of making it all the way up the pitch was narrow (at best) so I would say the call was sensible, yes the drama would have been great to watch but what would people be saying now if they had gone on to lose the ball in open play and then lost to a penalty goal or try? If we had been in their half and gone for goal or a line out I would have questioned their decision not to do so but that was not the case. Maybe that is the pessimism in me, but a draw was a good decision IMHO on that occasion.

However all other opinions expressed about the need for change etc. are valid as far as I am concerned.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 12:25
Gatland returns to Wales, so that's one option ruled out.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 18:55
[QUOTE=castleparknight]Having watched the game and the Kick to touch I cannot say I blame the decision. They were just outside their own 22 yard area - the potential of making it all the way up the pitch was narrow (at best) so I would say the call was sensible, yes the drama would have been great to watch but what would people be saying now if they had gone on to lose the ball in open play and then lost to a penalty goal or try? If we had been in their half and gone for goal or a line out I would have questioned their decision not to do so but that was not the case. Maybe that is the pessimism in me, but a draw was a good decision IMHO on that occasion.

However all other opinions expressed about the need for change etc. are valid as far as I am concerned.
[/QUOTE
I think the players needed the draw and the fans and Eddie Jones needed a win
The difference however was that England’s cricket captain Ben Stokes believed his players 
Could win and they did. 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 19:53
Reports tonight (it's the Mail, so can't vouch for it, altho' their rugby bloke usually fairly well-informed) that Eddie will be sacked tomorrow & replaced by Borthwick...
Pistacio View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistacio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 09:04
and Kevin Sinfield?
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 10:50
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Reports tonight (it's the Mail, so can't vouch for it, altho' their rugby bloke usually fairly well-informed) that Eddie will be sacked tomorrow & replaced by Borthwick...
Only for the 6 Nations then see what happens ? 

Edited by WESTCOMBE RANGER - 06 Dec 2022 at 10:50
The older I get, the better I was.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 11:36
He's gone. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 11:37
BBC announce Jones has gone - after a poor run of form.
I might have phrased it slightly differently.

Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 11:47
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

BBC announce Jones has gone - after a poor run of form.
I might have phrased it slightly differently.

poor, dismal, woeful, disastrous - does it really matter which adjective is used?!
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 11:50
I won't be shedding any tears.  I have never seen any evidence that he was taking England forward. He has never had an idea who his best team was or been able to change plans in game when everything started to go awry.

Remember Wakefield RFC
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 11:51
Richard Huckleberryerill is interim coach
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 12:09
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

I won't be shedding any tears.  I have never seen any evidence that he was taking England forward. He has never had an idea who his best team was or been able to change plans in game when everything started to go awry.

I recall what seemed (at the time) some reasonably strong evidence of this after a game against NZ in Japan a few years ago. But it was quite fleeting - so maybe I dreamt it?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 12:31
a few years ago

Sweeney Delenda Est
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 13:40
[QUOTE=Richard Lowther]I won't be shedding any tears.  I have never seen any evidence that he was taking England forward. He has never had an idea who his best team was or been able to change plans in game when everything started to go awry. [/QUOTE]

The classic example for me was England being 31-0 at half time against Scotland at Twickenham in 2019, then luckily getting a draw after Scotland came back to score 38 points in the second half. 

No on the field leadership in that game - No off the field leadership in that game.   The problem was that it didn't stop at that game, it continued afterwards. 

I am hoping for too much if I ask for Farrell to go too?

Remember Wakefield RFC
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 16:42
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

I am hoping for too much if I ask for Farrell to go too?

Us Taffs wanted Eddie to stay, please keep Farrell for the same reason

''The future isn't what it used to be''
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 18:13
We’ll find a job for Eddie over in Ireland with all the
other discarded,rubbish England coaches Lancaster,Farrell,Catt and Rowntree
At some stage the players have to say we were not up to International standard.

donnyladinsheffield View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donnyladinsheffield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 23:02
If the roles had been reversed would NZ have kicked to touch? We all know the answer and it tells us everything. 

He's alright and he don't care; He's got thermal underwear
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 10:20
Steve Borthwick to be confirmed as new head coach in coming days

Leicester boss Steve Borthwick is set to be confirmed as the new England head coach, with an announcement expected in the coming days.

The 43-year-old has been the overwhelming favourite for the role since Eddie Jones was sacked earlier in December.

The former England captain's first match in charge will be the Six Nations opener against Scotland on 4 February.

Borthwick will leave the Tigers after two-and-a-half years at Welford Road.

He orchestrated Leicester's hard-fought 23-16 win over Clermont Auvergne in the Champions Cup on Saturday.

However, he was unable to confirm afterwards if he would still be at the helm for the Premiership match with Gloucester on 24 December, instead praising his side's ability to win in adversity.

Borthwick's defence coach at the Tigers, rugby league great Kevin Sinfield, is tipped to join his England coaching staff.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 22:42
Originally posted by Steve@Mose Steve@Mose wrote:

Steve Borthwick to be confirmed as new head coach in coming days

tomorrow, apparently... or today if you're reading this on Monday
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 12:40
The Times have confirmed Steve Borthwick as New England coach 
with Kevin Sinfield as assistant.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic