National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

National 2 East Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 25>
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 15:29
Walsham came within a minute of their first points of the season as well
PropDad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PropDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 15:49
Fine margins all round.

Esher’s winning scoreline flattered them - Wimbledon were MUCH better than the 20 point loss infers and they certainly don’t deserve to be second from bottom.

Edited by PropDad - 26 Nov 2023 at 15:50
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 18:22
I’d agree with PropDad there. 3 of Esher’s tries came in the last 15 minutes courtesy of a stronger bench. On the day I thought Dons were better than I have seen recently from bith Henley and TJs.
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 18:51
Going to be fascinating at the bottom this year, anyone currently from 8th down is in the mix, NW look gone but bud Worthing having the capacity to improve quickly, Guernsey will be strong at home and collect points, Wimbledon playing well without reward and Sevenoaks and WP picking up points
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 19:07
I believe, following Jersey's demise, there are only eight relegation places.
So one of the three 12th place clubs will be reprieved.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 20:24
Camquin
You are usually100% accurate in your assertions and information posted on here but maybe not in this case (unless it's me which is always very likely!!) . 5 relegation places from the 3 NAT2 leagues so one of the 13th placed clubs will be spared.
How they can dish this down (and it has come on RFU letter head) when they've not even sorted out Levels 1,2 and 3 is beyond me! 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 20:46
You are right, I was thinking of the old days when we still had play-offs.

Level 2 have been told there is no relegation, and promotion only if the top club meets the minimum criteria, so essentially no promotion.

I do not believe there is going to be any change in level 1 next season, but I have no evidence.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 14:22
Where are we with the status of Nat 1 next season...? there seems to be a lot of chat around it being split North and South and the subsequent effect it would have on promotions and relegation etc.   
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 11:53
Originally posted by Golden Jackal Golden Jackal wrote:

Where are we with the status of Nat 1 next season...? there seems to be a lot of chat around it being split North and South and the subsequent effect it would have on promotions and relegation etc.   

Far to early to know. I'd suggest checking back in April.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 12:26

IF and it is a huge if, the RFU accept the Championships position on franchises, then with a full tier 2, I cannot see that there is any need to change tier 3 or 4. (One caveat here, I am using common sense, not sure if that is applicable in TW2)
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 12:39
Statement win by Esher yesterday...I think strength of squad (and possibly wallet Embarrassed) might see them edge away from the pack.   Vital win for Raiders in the basement battle...but still anyones guess as to who accompanies Walsham down.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 13:02

Statement win by Esher yesterday...I think strength of squad (and possibly wallet Embarrassed) might see them edge away from the pack.   Vital win for Raiders in the basement battle...but still anyones guess as to who accompanies Walsham down.

Definitely not wallet! Every Esher player gets paid the same match fee and we will be comfortably inside the player payment cap! The set match fee may be why Tommy Howe is playing for Dorking and not Esher as he talked to both Clubs last summer.

Our squad seems strong, just done the first half stats - we have used 41 players so far of whom 17 made their first appearance for us this season. We have scored 75 tries through 28 players, James Botterill leading the way with 14 in 9 matches. Sam Morley has scored 135 points.

Looking at the table we have now scored 1 more point than Dorking and have the biggest points difference. 11 Try Bonus Points in 13 matches helps as did the last three matches against the sides at the bottom of the table

Mind you, stats aren't everything, it could all change in the second half of the season and our April matches home to Dorking and away to Barnes are still looking like deciders.
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 13:10

Expect Esher to pull away now after Xmas, less about wallet and more about experience, pedigree and quality, but the chasing pack of Barnes, Henley and BSE also had good weekends. TJs, with their squad and budget can claim to be the biggest underachievers. Good win for WP against as resurgent Sevenoaks, another BP claimed too. Dons look on a slippery slope too, but plenty of rugby to be played.
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 17:43
Good to hear of a Worthing win
Put a few results together lads
Pace Power Perfection
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 11:26
Having watched Esher in most matches this season, I rate Barnes as our toughest opponent followed by Dorking. BSE are strong but Esher were shocking in our match there. I didn't rate TJs or Henley, we beat both comfortably at Esher but we know they are a different proposition on their own track. 

At the bottom Wimbledon were better than either Worthing or North Walsham while Sevenoaks are an awkward team at their place. Guernsey are not the force they were two years ago while Westcombe Park, Old Albanian and Canterbury seem genuine mid-table teams.

The second half of the season starts this week with memories from the first fixture, there will be surprises along the way but I am looking forward to plenty of running rugby - when the weather allows!

Edited by Halliford - 11 Dec 2023 at 11:29
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 14:07
Some interesting results heading into the Xmas break, proving to be a really competitive league. Wimbledon must be kicking themselves getting so close to an upset, but will take confidence into the 2nd half of the year. Good win for Oaks, Guernsey seem to be struggling this year? TJs getting turned over at home, proving to be the great underachievers, but understand there are changes afoot? WP taking 2bp away at Esher too a good result considering. NW aside, proving to be a good league again, looking forward to the new year 
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 15:53
Prey tell TJs ? 
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 20:26
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Prey tell TJs ? 

Jordan Turner Hall has taken over as DoR
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 21:45
Christ he’s nearly had as many clubs as Tiger 

Westcliff,Worthing,Scottish,Rosslyn Pk, Wimbledon, Ipswich school,Brighton College and  Hurstpierpoint. 

He only stopped playing 5 minutes ago 
honestinjun View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestinjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 23:22
Wimbledon were the better side yesterday, and deserved the win on the balance of their play and commitment. Despite the heavy pitch, they were more adventurous out wide and it took until just before half time for Barnes to exert some pressure in the scrum. 
That really was the only area of the game where we had a significant advantage and Wimbledon suffered increasingly up front in the 2nd half leading to a couple of yellows in the last 10 mins and yielded a penalty last minute of the game which skipper Josh Davies slotted in the gloom from a long way out. Gutted the Dons were, lucky Barnes were..but we will take the ugly win, I hope Wimbledon’s luck changes soon, they are good enough for this league and I remember our first 3/4 seasons in this league we continually flirted in the bottom 3, going down one season before finding a way to move to mid table and above…
HonestInjun
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 25>
  Share Topic