National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

National 2 East Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 22:08
yes was there at Worthing today - an absolute thriller I thought and so eventful - early red card, plenty of yellows, bit of needle, loads of work for the physios, dogged defending but some great play at both ends, and some spectacular tries.

Scoreline probably flattered Worthing a little but reward for huge effort they put in, particularly being at least a man down for most of the match
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 22:36
Hi Rabbie.....i did not know that one of the Armstrongs had gone to your club ?  i assume it is the bigger lad ?  Plays on the wing ?  right wing as i recall ?
is it fair to assume from the final score that you had much the better of the forward battle ? 
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 22:48
The brothers are Matt who plays for us now and is a centre/wing his older and bigger brother Anthony plays on the wing for Guernsey both are over 6ft, Anthony may have got the upper hand today as he scored but Matts team won and yes we pretty much controlled the forward game
So many Christians not enough Lions
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 23:58
Thanks for that Rabbie.......it is indeed Anthony out wide that I recall as the biggest threat.  it will be interesting to see if your Club can win this league.  Shanners is a top coach.

an impressive result again today.  we might have done you a favour in turning over your main competitor ?
it remains unlikely that my lot can get involved in the title race.....but we seem to be improving week on week ?

The Hawks View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hawks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 08:51
Originally posted by Darth Raider Darth Raider wrote:

Thanks for that Rabbie.......it is indeed Anthony out wide that I recall as the biggest threat.  it will be interesting to see if your Club can win this league.  Shanners is a top coach.

an impressive result again today.  we might have done you a favour in turning over your main competitor ?
it remains unlikely that my lot can get involved in the title race.....but we seem to be improving week on week ?

Club coming to Henley next week then we are away to Worthing, if we can win both of them we also could be in the mix as well?!!
Funny old season, we stuffed OA’s, lose to Bury on first day and lost to North Walsham!! Early days!!

Edited by The Hawks - 23 Oct 2022 at 08:52
'Go The Hawks!'
honestinjun View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestinjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 09:29
Barnes had a scrappy win against Rochford, the big Rochford pack disrupted and spoilt our fluency in the first half and we led 6-0 at half time. Injuries too meant there were 8 changes from N Waltham which didn’t help our continuity much. Rochford rely a lot on the boshing and ball carrying of Mac Duaibe at 8, he is a nuisance,but as he tired on 60 mins so did many of his mates around him and Barnes took control. TJs next week will show if we have really progressed this season or we are just flattering to deceive in an attempt to muck up Darth’s weekly predictions!
HonestInjun
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 10:28
Think Dr's comments about Dorking not having a full side out is a little disrespectful to BSE....We were woeful the previous week versus Worthing and whilst still some way off our fluent best, came out on top against a resilent Dorking side.  Sir seemed determined to keep playing until D scored, thankfully out wide and so the conversion went narrowly wide.... Fez, Shamrose and all at Dorking, many thanks for the hospitality shown to the Bury travellers (not sure where your commentator dragged up the 600 crowd from Tongue) we look forward to welcoming you to The Haberden...hopefully you wont experience the Dartford Crossing being blocked meaning a late night finish...

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 11:23
Hi Nick....Hawks certainly have a pack that could trouble club....always strong and the addition of Tom Vooght from Rams is a very good one.  I saw that Will Crow was back last week, which will help, but Hawks again this year, seem to have trouble scoring backs tries and securing TBP's ?

Injun.....I have much improved in my Barnes predictions this year, but need no help in co@king things up regardless Ouch  Your trip to The Slade will indeed be an interesting one.  Just hope it does not keep raining. Unless they have done something with the drainage, that place turns into a swamp quite quickly.  Highly recommend wellies if you are travelling....and watch out for Hippos and Crocs !

Jackal....I meant no disrespect...but having watched my lot against both teams....saw the full length video of the BSE game.....I thought Dorking looked the better side and had home advantage. I thought that they might win quite comfortably ? I was also curious to know if their 4 ex-Raiders were all playing ?  They have been influential.  A good win for your lads....the Dorks have been involved in some very close encounters
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 09:22
Originally posted by Golden Jackal Golden Jackal wrote:

Think Dr's comments about Dorking not having a full side out is a little disrespectful to BSE....We were woeful the previous week versus Worthing and whilst still some way off our fluent best, came out on top against a resilent Dorking side.  Sir seemed determined to keep playing until D scored, thankfully out wide and so the conversion went narrowly wide.... Fez, Shamrose and all at Dorking, many thanks for the hospitality shown to the Bury travellers (not sure where your commentator dragged up the 600 crowd from Tongue) we look forward to welcoming you to The Haberden...hopefully you wont experience the Dartford Crossing being blocked meaning a late night finish...

Hi GJ

I thought it was a real game of two halves with Bury better in the 1st and D's the 2nd. I think Dorking made a real mistake in not taking the penalty in front and then going for the try as there were about 8 minutes left and then Bury did take their chance and so D's needed a converted try and missed with the conversion. I thought Burys backline looked sharp and offered Dorking nothing out wide 

Judging from the cars I would say it was around the 500 if you count the players in all three games as well

Not easy next week with Old Albanians but this season never was going to beSmile

SurreyRugby View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 14:36
Spot on with you comments Shamrose.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 21:56
great result for the Dorks today at Woollams....a very valuable win.  No doubt, OA's would be suffering from the ridiculous number of serious injuries they got from their encounter with us last week, including I think, both half backs and their place kicker, but a strong performance from Dorks nevertheless Clap

Probably the two best packs met at Dry Leas today.....not having seen Club this year I fancied the Hawks pack to get the better of that encounter.....wrongo EmbarrassedOuch

Elsewhere......most of the other results went much as many predicted.  My lot will be a little disappointed to lose after establishing an 3-26 lead after half an hour.  Well done the other Raiders though. 

Still much to play for, though Westcliff look in dire trouble 
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 12:15
incredibly tight league with 6 teams on 5 wins and Blackheath 6 from 7

I have tipped against Dorking twice this year and they have won both so clearly need to change that!

As someone mentioned it will be interesting at Henley in two weeks as I see Will Crow has started the last 3 games for them and everyone at Dorking knows how good he is as he was often the game winner for Dorking for many years before he moved up a division to Rosslyn Park

I will be down at the Big Field on Saturday and will be well wrapped up as due showers and a moderate breeze which down there is not great as so open
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 19:40
Originally posted by Darth Raider Darth Raider wrote:

great result for the Dorks today at Woollams....a very valuable win.  No doubt, OA's would be suffering from the ridiculous number of serious injuries they got from their encounter with us last week, including I think, both half backs and their place kicker, but a strong performance from Dorks nevertheless Clap

Probably the two best packs met at Dry Leas today.....not having seen Club this year I fancied the Hawks pack to get the better of that encounter.....wrongo EmbarrassedOuch

Elsewhere......most of the other results went much as many predicted.  My lot will be a little disappointed to lose after establishing an 3-26 lead after half an hour.  Well done the other Raiders though. 

Still much to play for, though Westcliff look in dire trouble 
I was at The Woollams yesterday and witnessed a good but often see-saw game. It was clear that OA's were missing their 4 regular players injured the previous week, and this was the reason put forward by their supporters, although one questioned whether the lady referee was dating our Captain? before adjusting his comment to compliment Dorking on being the better team. Joking apart Dorking did have the upper hand and remained 7-10 points ahead for the whole game. Even when OA's tenacious response saw them reduce the deficit Dorking replied again to restore the points difference. I dont know but imagine it must have been a full strength OA,s to have beaten the Club 2 weeks before our visit, so it is quite possible we met an understrength and disjointed OA,s. That said Dorking continue to impress me and we are going from strength to strength. Well done lads you rose to the occasion.
One of the reasons we were relegated on the last occasion from L4, was our lack of strength in depth. We seem to have addressed that problem with a strong squad, strong 2nd XV, with many competing for selection in most positions. Long may it continue. 
Fezantplucker
LHTT View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Official Toliet key holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 11:17
Strength in depth will have a bearing over the season no doubt.

Very important win for Blackheath at Dry Leas on Saturday.

Hawks pack looked very competitive for 70 minutes although Club did gift them a lot of ball, but neither backline, with the exception of Hawks wingers & the Lloyd & Claxton link up for the second club try showed much of a threat tbh.

Defensively Blackheath were exceptional & that and a better bench, won them the game.

Henley were good hosts, lots of nice banter on the touchline, I enjoyed going back there after a long gap & look forward to going again in future.
Irritating Offspring of the word unite.
FlyingRuck View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingRuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 15:05
Strength in depth is so very important. Blackheath have a second team competing in a league this season and it really does make a difference to the whole set up with the two's having games week-in-week-out. 
See you further on up the road
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 18:59
Well needed win for Canterbury on Saturday after losing 4 on the bounce, not sure where to gauge City Side this year, not in danger of going down but the performances have been hit and miss. Sevenoaks seem to be adapting well, expected more from TJs coming down from Nat1 last year. Club the clear pick of the Kent sides
LHTT View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 12:36
Well we do have a second XV at the moment but whether we can hold on to them I don't know. There has been some interchange between the sides, Armstrong got into the 1st XV after catching the eye in the seconds for example & that will help to keep them interested but no-one can blame players if they drift away to other clubs where they can get 1st team rugby every week.

Our seconds played Henley's seconds on Saturday and we've also played Barnes seconds this season so clearly we are not the only club out there with some strength in depth at the moment. 

Edited by LHTT - 01 Nov 2022 at 12:37
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 14:20
We took the decision to withdraw our 2nds from the Raging Bull / Zoo League as it didnt guarantee enough games and furthermore the majority of games were in or around London... Fortunately our CB allowed our 2nds to join the league system at level 7 and to date it has been a great success.  Our young 2s are now playing many local clubs 1st XV's and having a great time of it.  Not only does it give them regular games against clubs they might have drifted to, but the members are enjoying it too, with often a 100 plus cheering them on against "old" rivals. 

FlyingRuck View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingRuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 15:36
Originally posted by LHTT LHTT wrote:

Well we do have a second XV at the moment but whether we can hold on to them I don't know. There has been some interchange between the sides, Armstrong got into the 1st XV after catching the eye in the seconds for example & that will help to keep them interested but no-one can blame players if they drift away to other clubs where they can get 1st team rugby every week.

Our seconds played Henley's seconds on Saturday and we've also played Barnes seconds this season so clearly we are not the only club out there with some strength in depth at the moment. 

I help run the second team at Blackheath and there is a really good feel about the team whose home games coincide with the first team home games. This provides a great club dynamic with everyone together post-game for MOM awards etc . There has actually been quite a bit of movement between first and seconds and this weekend will be interesting with a number of players coming back from injury. We are competing in a league of 13 sides home and away including Richmond, RP, Rams, Ampthill, Barnes etc so there are plenty of games and players seem to be buying into the "one squad ethos" which we are promoting at the club.  As the season enters its third month, I am confident that we will continue to develop. 
See you further on up the road
LHTT View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 15:46
Originally posted by FlyingRuck FlyingRuck wrote:

Originally posted by LHTT LHTT wrote:

I help run the second team at Blackheath and there is a really good feel about the team whose home games coincide with the first team home games. This provides a great club dynamic with everyone together post-game for MOM awards etc . There has actually been quite a bit of movement between first and seconds and this weekend will be interesting with a number of players coming back from injury. We are competing in a league of 13 sides home and away including Richmond, RP, Rams, Ampthill, Barnes etc so there are plenty of games and players seem to be buying into the "one squad ethos" which we are promoting at the club.  As the season enters its third month, I am confident that we will continue to develop. 

Good news FR, all power to your arm.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
  Share Topic