National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

National 2 East Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 20:42
Evening Darth 
Must admit nerves were getting the better of me in the second half. I was circulating the pitch that quick nippers poor old dog was getting out of breath trying to keep up.
I think the W scrumy is in his 20’s by the way  

Pace Power Perfection
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 21:16
NLR site a bit muddled for Roch v Gsy score. It says (40) 26 - 4 (6) but I don't think you can score 4 any more! Wink

Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 21:18
Worthings control and vibrance in the first half especially was the scrummage. both teams wanted to play open Rugby and got on with it, hence very few if any resets and well refereed.

Another one against the head
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 21:18
I believe it is 28-40, four tries to six
Sweeney Delenda Est
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 11:28
Was impressed by the Barnes performance yesterday. they have assembled the most competitive set of forwards that I have seen in 10 yearsa of BSE playing them...Sirs pedantic refereeing (4 yellows in a clean game) made for a dreadfully stop start game, but the Barnes defence was superb and when Plan A for Bury didnt work, they asumed carrying on with it would overcome a committed home side... Bravo Marty, Jack, Rhino, et al

honestinjun View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestinjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 21:09
Thank you young Jackal, we have worked hard on becoming a fitter,  more competitive side this season, the basis of our improved performances is this fitness combined with a motivatived squad and the 2nd xv playing in a very strong league too, which is preparing those players for their inevitable 1st xv appearances when injuries and absences happen. If you combine these things with a more balanced coaching team then you end up with the team we are right now..by no means the finished article but happy with our progress thus far. 

We have Blackheath next week at their place, who I am sure will be rightly confident of maintaining their top spot after their 94-0 dismantling of Westcliff, but we will try our best! 

Just want to add that I think the league is significantly weaker this year without Leicester Lions, Clifton, Dings, Hinckley,Redruth, not saying we would have performed worse but it would have been a lot harder with them all in the mix, interesting (but not surprising) that they occupy the top 5 spots in West! 
HonestInjun
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 21:26
Originally posted by honestinjun honestinjun wrote:

Thank you young Jackal, we have worked hard on becoming a fitter,  more competitive side this season, the basis of our improved performances is this fitness combined with a motivatived squad and the 2nd xv playing in a very strong league too, which is preparing those players for their inevitable 1st xv appearances when injuries and absences happen. If you combine these things with a more balanced coaching team then you end up with the team we are right now..by no means the finished article but happy with our progress thus far. 

We have Blackheath next week at their place, who I am sure will be rightly confident of maintaining their top spot after their 94-0 dismantling of Westcliff, but we will try our best! 

Just want to add that I think the league is significantly weaker this year without Leicester Lions, Clifton, Dings, Hinckley,Redruth, not saying we would have performed worse but it would have been a lot harder with them all in the mix, interesting (but not surprising) that they occupy the top 5 spots in West! 
Made me wonder how the Lions would be doing in the old South league had it continued, however still early days and some very difficult away fixtures in the New Year.
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 22:34
evening Injun......a brave post by you.   i took a look at the tables myself earlier today and came to an similar conclusion.....but feared to say so.  I suspect that the top 5 sides in nat2w would be top in our league this year, with perhaps....only Club in that mix. 

just my opinion, but the standard in our league this year is quite dramatically reduced.  when  i watched my own team at the outset, i thought we might do well to avoid relegation.  We are improving, but the lack of quality leaves us much higher in the league than we might have been against last years opponents.

It is in some ways pleasing to see both Barnes and Dorking doing so well.

What troubles me, is that Nat1 is not weakened.  It has ever been difficult to remain in that league after promotion.....in this new set up....i fear that the promoted sides will be even less ready to cope with the higher standard ?

Somewhat surprised that Shanners boys have not yet stretched away........it will be interesting to see them at our place in a couple of weeks time.  I expect that they will win......but they may well be facing the best backs lineup in any of the national leagues......if we can secure any possession.....be very afraid Big smileWink 
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 09:19
Odd game at Dorking on Saturday, bonus point in the bag after 20 minutes and 40 nil at half time. Second half was much slower with the Dorking forwards deciding to hang on to the ball and try to go through the middle with lots of offloads that didn't go to hand often enough. When the backs got the ball they scored 3 good tries with the last an absolutely brilliant solo effort from Mikey Young. NW hung in there and didn't stop defending for the whole game and there will have been some tired bodies on their  long coach trip home  
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 13:26
The reorganisation of the leagues was always likely to throw up some strange results and possible mismatches. You need to look at the relevance of where teams finished last season and if the top teams in 2S are now all in 2W then you would have to assume that league is stronger. That said for me there seems to be an rollercoaster ride between ability of the teams. In an attempt to give that some context our last 3 weeks a tough away trip to TJs which we lost in a tight hard fought game where discipline (and their 10s accuracy) cost us the game, following week we travelled to 7oaks and for around 50-60 mins although we felt we would win it wasn’t until the last 20 that fitness and squad depth turned the score line into what looked like a comfortable win, then Saturday it was over a point a minute against Westcliff and we then need to step up again for the visit of Barnes who are up there chasing the one promotion spot. The only way that you could open up a big lead at this stage is to go unbeaten and that is very rare in any league so having a lead at the top is fine at this still early stage of the season to think otherwise is disrespectful to the other teams in the league. Long way to go and lots of rugby to be played
So many Christians not enough Lions
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 14:44
The top sides may have gone West, but the relegated sides went East.
So it basically balances out.

At the top of East you have
Blackheath - relegated
Dorking - promoted
Barnes - 11th
Old Albanian - 9th
Worthing - 4th

West has
Leicester Lions - 5h
Clifton - 3rd
Dings Crusaders - 7th
Hinckley - 13th
Redruth - 2nd
Exeter University - promoted

which shows how fortunes can change.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Ancient Oak View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ancient Oak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 17:20
Thank you Rabbie Burns for showing respect unlike some for the other teams in the league. We bounced back last weekend from our second half drubbing by The Club, having competed well to lead 11-7 at the break, with a hard fought win against the Hawks who have been around at this level and above for many years. We are new boys on the block but we are learning fast. Please judge us and others on where we are come next April.
"Heaven prosper our sport"
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 18:02
Originally posted by Ancient Oak Ancient Oak wrote:

Thank you Rabbie Burns for showing respect unlike some for the other teams in the league. We bounced back last weekend from our second half drubbing by The Club, having competed well to lead 11-7 at the break, with a hard fought win against the Hawks who have been around at this level and above for many years. We are new boys on the block but we are learning fast. Please judge us and others on where we are come next April.

I'm sure we will - having seen Sevenoaks at Worthing early in the season I for one am not surprised they are competitive.

I fully expected Club to be at the top, but Barnes are certainly exceeding my expectations.

Is West or East stronger - without a pla-off we will only find out next season when the respective champions are in N1.

However it is currently a fact that both divisions are starting to see a gap between the top and bottom halves - something I think most people would have predicted.
RAID ON
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 11:30
Assuming its 2 down from L4 into L5, has this been confirmed? 

Fear for Canterbury getting dragged into a relegation fight with NW as the season goes on. Look poor, unfit and devoid of much attacking threat so far this season, going to be a long back end of the season :(

Good to see Sevenoaks competitive and Blackheath looking strong to bounce back up
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 15:38
Agree with you there Pm009.......Westcliff are already gone imo, and Oaks seem to have enough about them to avoid a relegation scrap, so the City Side could well become embroiled with NW and the 100 ?
After watching them at our place this year, I did remark to my rugby mates that that was the worst City Side I had seen in 20yrs of watching.....and that I would not be overly surprised if they ended near the bottom.  Still a few stalwarts at the club, but they must be getting on a bit now ?
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 16:04
Yes its been a tough watch this season, and I can't see it improving in a hurry Ermm
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 18:24
Any chance of some first hand accounts of games this week ?  I am interested in all games of course, but 
particularly in the two big encounters for Barnes and Dorking today.  Both had a chance to announce themselves as genuine title contenders I think.
I did n't travel but my lot, despite another 8 or 9 team changes, managed to boost their PD with a big win against hapless Westcliff.
Huge game for us next week when Club visit the Rugby Park. 
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 19:08
View from the touchline imminent just got in and having a cuppa
So many Christians not enough Lions
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 20:17
I went to Westcliffe
Was up there in good time but kept getting sent to an industrial site by the satnav. Turns out that was the old ground. Then tried the post code for the “new clubhouse” but that was a new housing estate. I then spotted by chance the Worthing coach across the fields in the distance. Where’s me wellies when I need them. Eventually got there but missed most of the half. 
Anyway it was pretty much one way as the score suggests but in saying that Westcliffe butchered a couple of chances in the second half. Nice new clubhouse but a lifeless setting at the moment but I guess a few strategically planted trees would sort that. 
Pace Power Perfection
half back View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote half back Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 20:45

I was at TJs v Dorking taking some photos. An interesting contrast of styles. Dorking started very brightly with 2 quick tries, the remainder of the half was fairly even. Second half saw TJs assert some control but only drawing level with 5 minutes to go and then finally taking the lead with the last play. Overall TJs shaded it, but an excellent contest. Despite the weather, the pitch not too heavy, but please cut the grass !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
  Share Topic