National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Bedford Blues v Caldy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bedford Blues v Caldy
    Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 13:56
It is with some relief that I acknowledge that proper order has been restored and Caldy is forecast by every poster on RM to get trounced at Goldington Road on Saturday. Indeed some participants in the prediction stakes haven't even included the match in their forecast......obviously for some there is no mileage in predicting a Bedford win when everyone else in the world predicts an absolute tonking for the newbies from the Wirral.

Last weekend small laspes in concentration cost Caldy 4 valuable points and brought a broad smile to an otherwise intimidating Nottingham Head Coach Craig Hammond......he just looks a lot nicer when he smiles.

There are likely to be a few silver foxes in amongst the Caldy supporters at Bedford on Saturday .......their passion for the Ravers matched equally by their passion for the ladies who may be there a plenty for Bedford's Ladies Day....

I am sure Caldy's Barrie and Graham will be immaculately turned out, with a prominent touch of pink on their cravats or waistcoats. They will feel very much at home amongst the throng of beauties at Goldington Road and if Barrie brings his usual bottle of Cristal it could be a great day out.
''The future isn't what it used to be''
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 00:09
The game could well be the largest crowd Caldy will play in front of this season, which could inspire your players a little more. It will certainly be the biggest slope! Wink

The Caldy defence will need to be on alert and will want to be going down the slope in the 2nd half, whereas Blues need to turn up, keep the tempo high and not think it will be an easy game for them!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 06:43
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

The game could well be the largest crowd Caldy will play in front of this season, which could inspire your players a little more. It will certainly be the biggest slope! Wink

The Caldy defence will need to be on alert and will want to be going down the slope in the 2nd half, whereas Blues need to turn up, keep the tempo high and not think it will be an easy game for them!

At the end of August Caldy had 3,500 at Paton Field for a Friday night warm up game against Sale Sharks.......didn't help the lads because they all had to rush back from work for a 6.30 kick off.....little warm up and straight in against a relaxed Sale Sharks side who hadn't had to spend their Friday wrestling with spreadsheets, tree stumps, cows, distressed patients or irate customers....21 points down after 15 minutes and Caldy ended up with a 40-7 hammering........let's hope the presence of inumerable attractive and attentive ladies doesn't distract Caldy's player.s.....the mere thought of these beauties already has Graham and Barrie frothing up in anticiation .

The notion of a slope somewhat perturbs me .....scrum half Joe Murray sometimes suffers from what you could call an 'unsteady gate'.....this slope will either correct it or exacerbate it .....Bluey is it a pronounced slope?

PS...my grandkids love Bluey....he is all they ever want to watch....particularly the episode where he talks about Bum Worms.....they will be so excited that I may catch a glimpse of Bluey on Saturday 

Edited by Big Eddie - 30 Sep 2022 at 06:51
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 07:42
The slope is about 6ft from top right corner to bottom left corner- so pretty pronounced. But a great ground to play at. Beer has questionable quality though. 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 10:27
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

The slope is about 6ft from top right corner to bottom left corner- so pretty pronounced. But a great ground to play at. Beer has questionable quality though. 

A bit less than prodigious but very definitely pronounced.......that is likely to have a marked impact on the game
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 10:41
Enjoy the day Caldy.
Pink Shirts, Ladies Day, Macmillan Cancer Support a charity Bedford frequently support.

The older I get, the more the RFU leave me confused.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 10:54
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Enjoy the day Caldy.
Pink Shirts, Ladies Day, Macmillan Cancer Support a charity Bedford frequently support.

I will try and get the Caldy non playing party to wear something pink......possibly a shirt, a cravat for Barrie and something splendidly pink for Graham...
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 11:44
In fairness BE the slope is only akin to a blowy day at Caldy . . . I once witnessed (N2N) our dyspraxic inside centre toe poke a clearance from his own try line only for it to run dead at the other end!!! To say the least on such days at the Wirral it is always a game of two halves!!!! So the experience will be invaluable for conquering Bedford Blues.

Ps they are a fairly partisan crowd down there!!!
Run with it
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 11:54
Blues make 3 changes - excited to see Garside start, as he is electric, although Day had been playing well.  Taylor is loaned from Dragons RFC 

Bedford Blues starting XV:

15. George Hendy (s), 14. Pat Tapley, 13. Ethan Grayson (s), 12. Michael Le Bourgeois (C), 11. Dean Adamson, 10. Will Maisey, 9. Jake Garside (s); 1. Joey Conway, 2. Jacob Fields, 3. Ed Prowse (s), 4. Robin Williams, 5. Huw Taylor (loan), 6. Jac Arthur, 7. Charles Rylands, 8. Tui Uru 

Bedford Blues Replacements:

16. Jack Hughes, 17. Monty Royston, 18. Corrie Barrett, 19. Jordan Onojaife, 20. Emeka Atuanya (s), 21. Alex Day, 22. Louis Grimoldby, 23. Seàn French

Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 12:11

Caldy's squad to play the Blues.....here's hoping that Caldy aren't singing the blues at 5 pm

1.A. Aigbokhae 2. O Hearn 3. A. Darlington 4. S Dickinson 5. T Sanders 6. H Crowe 7. C Ridgway 8. JJ Dickinson 9. J. Murray 10. E Hinchcliffe 11. D Bibby 12. M Barlow 13. M Cartmill 14. N Royle 15. R Hayes 16. T Clarke 17. N Rushton 18. R Higginson. 19. M Gerrard 20. T Parry 21. N Thomas 22. B Jones 23. E Gourlay

FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 13:27
Caldy have probably never played at Redruth and their infamous Hellfire Corner, makes Bedford look a treat - luckily their (Redruth) crowd are not partisan so a balanced game was straightforward.

Seriously though, why do you need a flat pitch? Adapt to available conditions - evolution.

Edited by FHLH - 30 Sep 2022 at 13:28
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 13:53
Do not worry about Bedfords 1 to 8...they quite simply do not exist.
However, you should be very worried about their 9 to 15 who can turn matches around and win from losing positions at will.

And finally, at home, they normally pick a ref from anyone in the crowd as long as they are wearing blue

Edited by Brizzer - 30 Sep 2022 at 13:54
Tackle Low!!!!!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 14:31
Some good intelligence from well meaning posters here .....thanks guys it is always best to be prepared but unfortunately the snippets of intelligence you have provided to Caldy are unlikely to help much:

1. The slope...........Caldy's Paton field does have the benefit of the sea breeze during the winter months and it can sometimes be sufficient to deflect the chimney smoke from the club house fire away from true perpendicular.......the Paton Field pitch is as flat, true and manicured as the best billiard beize you could wish for.......Caldy is not used to any kind of slope and may struggle unless of course it is a kind slope

2. Pacy backs......there is no substitute for pace.......if Bedford are slicker and quicker then our Nick and Dan we may be in for a difficult day.

3. The referee........a good friend of mine preaches a succinct and relevant life lesson which he uses as his voice mail greeting..."It's Barrie, I am sorry I am not available, please leave me a message ....and remember it is nice to be important but more important to be nice" 

I hope the man in the middle gives Barrie a call before the game

Edited by Big Eddie - 30 Sep 2022 at 14:34
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 14:32
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

And finally, at home, they normally pick a ref from anyone in the crowd as long as they are wearing blue

They're probably the offspring of generations of East Midlands Rugby players who ruled English rugby for so long..... 
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 14:50
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

They're probably the offspring of generations of East Midlands Rugby players who ruled English rugby for so long..... 

It’s still the first away fixture that I look for when the fixtures come out. I love the trip to Bedford!!
Tackle Low!!!!!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 14:59
Back in the day Caldy's Bank used to be somewhat partisan as well. During a promotion battle between Caldy and Stockport which was being fought out at level 6 or 7 it all boiled over. An emergency subsitute referee called up at the last minute was a little out of his depth and the poor fellow who was late 50s at best, got all tangled up after a bout of fisticuffs.

A sure fire penalty for Caldy and a certain yellow card at least against the Stockport No 8 somehow morphed into a Stockport scrum. The Caldy Bank was incandescent and they showered the poor official with persistent vitriolic abuse.

5 minutes to go and a dominant and in control Caldy leading by 6 points were defending a Stockport scrum on the Caldy 22 metre line. A creaking Port scrum was just about surviving, their scrum half dummies a pass and when the No 8 picks up he knocks on ....

The referee's decision..............penalty try Stockport and top spot in the league!

Post match the pillioried and reviled official sat alone in 'personna non grata' corner in Caldy's wooden shack. I wandered over to ask him the burning question .........."That was your last ever match wasn't it?" "Yes" he replied . I shook his hand and bought him a pint. What Cahoonas!

The indecent and unsporting opprobrium by the Caldy Bank thoroughly deserved the incorrect decision.......is there a chance of a repeat tomorrow?

Edited by Big Eddie - 30 Sep 2022 at 15:03
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 15:08
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Back in the day Caldy's Bank used to be somewhat partisan as well. During a promotion battle between Caldy and Stockport which was being fought out at level 6 or 7 it all boiled over. An emergency subsitute referee called up at the last minute was a little out of his depth and the poor fellow who was late 50s at best, got all tangled up after a bout of fisticuffs.

A sure fire penalty for Caldy and a certain yellow card at least against the Stockport No 8 somehow morphed into a Stockport scrum. The Caldy Bank was incandescent and they showered the poor official with persistent vitriolic abuse.

5 minutes to go and a dominant and in control Caldy leading by 6 points were defending a Stockport scrum on the Caldy 22 metre line. A creaking Port scrum was just about surviving, their scrum half dummies a pass and when the No 8 picks up he knocks on ....

The referee's decision..............penalty try Stockport and top spot in the league!

Post match the pillioried and reviled official sat alone in 'personna non grata' corner in Caldy's wooden shack. I wandered over to ask him the burning question .........."That was your last ever match wasn't it?" "Yes" he replied . I shook his hand and bought him a pint. What Cahoonas!

The indecent and unsporting opprobrium by the Caldy Bank thoroughly deserved the incorrect decision.......is there a chance of a repeat tomorrow?

I don’t think that they are quite that bad BE. Partisan at worst. What you would expect from a large home crowd at this level.
Bedford know and love their rugby. Great hosts with plenty of life/fun after the final whistle.
I don’t think that it is a secret, but they don’t like losing at home.
Very entertaining style of play though. Easy on the eye when it works.
Tackle Low!!!!!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 15:13
Good to know Brizzer! I am sure we will have a great day out in Bedford ....what ever the outcome we will stay true to the Ravers' creed

'Win or Lose We are on the Booze'

To embrace the spirit of Bedford's Ladies Day we will be enjoying a few bottles of pink fizz on the trip down......
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 15:24
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Enjoy the day Caldy.

I will try and get the Caldy non playing party to wear something pink......possibly a shirt, a cravat for Barrie and something splendidly pink for Graham...

Some would say just getting them to wear a shirt would be good Eddie. And then there's the male members of the party .... !
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 19:34

Do not worry about Bedfords 1 to 8...they quite simply do not exist.
However, you should be very worried about their 9 to 15 who can turn matches around and win from losing positions at will.

Wouldn’t say they don’t exist, but their skill set certainly has more focus than some opposition teams on their open (encouraged to) play ability to pass, offload, run. We even used to have McCarthy (prop) who set up a couple of tries from chip/grubber kicks!

We have had a lot of rain this afternoon/evening but the pitch should be good tomorrow and it is forecast to be dry.

Have a good journey down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic