National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Racism in Rugby - Event Date: 21 Oct 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 09:48

Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Have the RFU  posted any findings from this enquiry ?.

Well the RFU started their inquiry in July so I think it would be optimistic No7 to have any findings yet
Happy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 20:27
Will be interesting to see how seriously the RFU take this as a complaint was made to the RFU about cloudberry language in our match today. Fingers crossed they do better than they have with other items of governance 
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 00:38
Luther Burrell: Ex-England centre has 'closure' after RFU investigation finds racism claims were true

Former England centre Luther Burrell says he is "proud" and has "a sense of closure" after a Rugby Football Union investigation found his claims of racism in the sport were true.

Last year the governing body looked into Burrell's allegations, taking over an inquiry launched by Newcastle Falcons - his final club.

The RFU says the report - published on Tuesday and in which no individuals are named - concludes his claims were true "on balance of probability" and that his evidence was "reliable".

It says there is "insufficient evidence" to say all the abuse happened at Newcastle, apart from a player's WhatsApp message "which contained a cloudberry comment".

But Burrell - who has not identified those involved - was also found to have suffered two further incidents of verbal cloudberry abuse.

Burrell, 35, who is of Jamaican descent, spoke out in June 2022 about his experiences, saying cloudberry "banter" had become "normalised" among team-mates and that racism was "rife" in the sport.

"To call anybody a slave is not funny, so it was abhorrent behaviour. It was something that affects my dignity as a player, it affects me as a human as a father," he said after being presented with the findings of the investigation.

The report said the RFU should consider launching a further disciplinary inquiry, but in a statement the governing body said it had chosen not to and "instead will continue to work with the club" to improve training and whistleblowing processes.

When asked why he had not identified those responsible for what he called "abhorrent" abuse, Burrell said: "This has not been a witch hunt.

"It's not about retribution. This is about me finally having my voice heard. I've always said that this has ultimately not been about me, this has been about generational change within the sport."

"I hope that they feel a sense of embarrassment that they publicly said that to me in a working space. However, this is not about me victimising them, because they have livelihoods, they have families."

The RFU says a new action plan to tackle discrimination has been "accelerated in light of Luther's experience", and that research conducted last year found:

• "In every area of elite rugby - men's and women's, national team, clubs and academies - players had experienced some form of racism."
  • "Classism is an issue which affects the game and fuels an elitist perception."
  • "Reporting of incidents of discrimination is low across the elite game."
  • "The burden to call out poor behaviour and discrimination tends to land on under-represented groups."
  • "Efforts by the game to respond to discrimination to date, while well intended, have been either short-lived or perceived as performative."
  • "While there is a sense that discrimination is decreasing in the game broadly, this trend is moving at a slower pace for women and ethnically diverse communities."
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 04:17
I hope it isn't a problem going forwards, but sport reflects society, it's rife in every day life, not just a "white" problem either, Muslims and Hindus clash as do other religious splits, Catholics and Protestants all show a lack of tolerance, sadly some of it is ingrained and is centuries old.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 15:51
Sadly you are right tigerburnie. For me the only surprise would have been if the investigation had found there was no racism in rugby.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic