National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Are Ealing a sustainable club?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Ealing a sustainable club?
    Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 21:17
So on the week 9 subject it was said that Ealing are sustainable from their last set of accounts (presumably 2022).  I was going to comment there but I felt it deserves its own subject heading. Almost did a poll too.

Sustainable I guess isn’t quite the same as self-sustainable but I would wonder how sustainable it is without 1 person, just a few extracts from the June 2021 accounts (last filed)…

Reserves up to from £32k (2020) to £299k (2021) sounds great but…

COVID grants £564k (2021) and £329K (2020)
Promotional income from Trailfinders Ltd £2.7m v £1.6m
The Mike Gooley Trailfinders Charity £2.4m v £1.4m

So only about £5.1m in the 2021 year and £3m the previous year ignoring the COVID grants.

It appears to me and happy to stand corrected, Trailfinders Ltd owned by Mike Gooley gifts money to The Mike Gooley Charity, (Mike Gooley and family are the trustees) which gifts money to the Trailfinders rugby club, which happens to be owned Mike Gooley!

Is gifting money from a charity to a professional rugby club a charitable purpose?

corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 07:49
Time will tell mate but I wish them well and I am happy to rely on the governance arrangements to verify that their funding is properly sourced. Ealing are the stand out squad this year and although I hope Jersey & others push them all the way if they win the league this season I hope they get their chance at the top table.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Delamas View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delamas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 08:11
Very interesting re the 'charity' and also Covid.

If so, as per Wasps / Worcester, it the taxpayer who is picking up the bills....
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 12:42
Originally posted by Delamas Delamas wrote:

Very interesting re the 'charity' and also Covid.

If so, as per Wasps / Worcester, it the taxpayer who is picking up the bills....

The Championship I believe received £9m in one year and maybe £5m in another from the Government to be split between the clubs, so Ealing are no different to any other Championship Club, save they have Mike GooleySmile 
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 14:25
Are these grants or Loans which will have to be repaid?
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 15:42
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

Are these grants or Loans which will have to be repaid?
Loans.
Our City,
Our Club
Saturnate View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 17:48
Note 3 to the accounts explicitly refers to them as grants, and for them to be included within other income within the profit and loss account would also indicate that they are grants and not loans.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 21:16
Is the money from the Charity for community outreach programmes rather than payment for playing professional rugby? 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 21:43
No club is sustainable if the outgoings are more than the income.

The income should be self generated and not reliant on monies given or loaned from 'investors'.

How many clubs in the top leagues can honestly say they are sustainable if you use these criteria?

Probably none. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 21:55
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

The income should be self generated and not reliant on monies given or loaned from 'investors'.

How many clubs in the top leagues can honestly say they are sustainable if you use these criteria?

Probably none. 

Although if expenditure is greater than income by “only” ten’s of thousands (a smaller percentage) it is much easier to find and still function than if it is millions.

No one wants another Wasps or Worcester.
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 22:05
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Probably none. 

Although if expenditure is greater than income by “only” ten’s of thousands (a smaller percentage) it is much easier to find and still function than if it is millions.

No one wants another Wasps or Worcester.

If it was easy to find then why wasn't it found? Clubs running at losses of any amount are not sustainable in the long term. Somebody will ask for the debts to be repaid at some point. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 22:16
Originally posted by Saturnate Saturnate wrote:

Note 3 to the accounts explicitly refers to them as grants, and for them to be included within other income within the profit and loss account would also indicate that they are grants and not loans.
Not what we were told at the time.
Our City,
Our Club
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 22:32
Statement from the Coventry club at the time:
"We can confirm that the club has applied for a loan from the government’s Sport Winter Survival Package, although we understand that the desired grants are not available. However, the amount of loan understood to be available will not cover all of our costs. Therefore, the club’s finances will remain precarious for the foreseeable future, which will mean that we have to make further savings to our operational costs."
Our City,
Our Club
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 10:07
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 11:24
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Not what we were told at the time.

The Support programme was mainly loans over 10 years at 2% with a 2 year repayment holiday. Grants were the exception. 

"Rugby union will receive £135 million, with £44 million of that going to the RFU. A further £59 million will go to Premiership clubs, £9 million to Greene King IPA Championship clubs and a further £23 million to clubs below that level. 

The overall package of £300 million to a multitude of sports is made up largely of loans."

What did the RFU do with their £44m? Another loan on the Balance Sheet? 

A more relevant question is whether the RFU is sustainable? Perhaps Wasps or Worcester should play there! But as Worcester is a new club they will surely be at Level 9
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 11:38
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

You have to be careful that these two dates don't become fixed.

Mr Gooley is 86. He's been very generous but what are the long term plans, will his family keep contributing to the same level or will they reduce their investment or withdraw it totally? Would would these scenarios mean to Ealing? At best a return to amateur rugby? 

Remember Wakefield RFC
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 12:38
Forgive me for appearing stupid but according to the reports Ealing were given £900k in "Covid Grants"
That is a incredible sum for for a professional club that is why I questioned if it was a grant or a Loan . I am sure that there are a lot of clubs that would liked 10% of that figure. Can someone explain the rationale for the "Grants" 
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 12:38

Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

You have to be careful that these two dates don't become fixed.

Mr Gooley is 86. He's been very generous but what are the long term plans, will his family keep contributing to the same level or will they reduce their investment or withdraw it totally? Would would these scenarios mean to Ealing? At best a return to amateur rugby? 

This question was raised when the benefactor of Old Elthamians died and didn’t make provision in his estate for the rugby team. I was told at that time by someone close to Ealing that Mike Googled had made provision, probably through the Charity, for ongoing funding for up to 5 years. You won’t find evidence of this but it does always seem to me that Ealing are run to a better business model than, say, Worcester or Wasps.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 13:31
Worcester were sustainable while Cecil was alive.

From comments on this board, there were serious issues surrounding the funding at both England 7s and Elthamians - including the lack of contracts.

I have no visibility of the contracts between Mike Gooley, Trailfinders, the sports clubs, the charity - but it does sound as if they are giving at least some thought to succession.
Sweeney Delenda Est
dumbape View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dumbape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 14:08
In the cold hard light of day calling pretty much any organisation sustainable comes with caveats.

One would have thought that local independent Bookstores would be around for ever, but alas no. The list of failed organisations is immense, Organisations have to cope with change all the time ... those that fail to adapt tend to wither and die ... The RFU might be an example of this btw.

Ealing has a rich history as a community club and quite a few years ago it had to really look at how it was structured and what needed to change if it was survive long term and by that I mean another 100 years. Any club, especially those with any ambition has to decide how to use its resources, both people and financai, to deliver a balanced, sustainable business. It's already been said but every one involved in Rugby at all levels and across sectors (education etc) are involved in a business. Balancing the books so we can play the game is absolutely essential. There are facilities, kit and insurance needed as well as whole lot more costs that have to be covered.

However there are different types of setups our clubs can use to manage their affairs in order or to support the objectives of the clubs.

What I find remarkable is that many clubs have not looked at how they need to be structured to develop the right balance between 'community' and the professional aspects of the game.

Being professional doesn't start when you begin paying players - it is a mind set that has to be embedded in the DIRECTORS AND CHAIRS.

Looking at the mess both WASPS and Worcester were found to be in it is clear to me at least that the 'senior management' weren't just asleep at the wheel, but probably high on something! They would have had every opportunity to raise and intervene as the crisis they were in unfolded over many seasons. Instead there was a false confidence that the normal rules of business don't apply to them. When businesses are struggling or indeed failing to pay Tax etc not only is a red flag it is a dire indication of impending doom as soon as HMRC start noticing.

All these so called financial reports were shared with the RFU, but a culture of hope over reason prevailed, despite what I contend was (and still is) without any merit or evidence, that results in a completely unsustainable model for Elite Rugby. To add insult to injury this is in the richest Rugby Union in the world. Again a complete lack of professional oversight and intervention (over decades!) from the very body that has ultimate accountability to all the clubs in the country who are part of the RFU Council. It is a complete and utter failure of governance.

The OP (that prompted this post) asks the question is Ealing sustainable? Some questions have been asked about grants/loans and charity funding with the implication being the club might not be sustainable, or worse something fishy is going on.

Sir Mike is a very impressive chap and no fool. He has built one the worlds leading travel companies, that remains in private hands, by paying attention to the details. I can remember many really robust conversations around finances, reporting and how the club needed to be managed.   

The comments around the Charity made on here are rather inappropriate IMO. Sir Mike (and 3 other members of his family are Trustees and their aims for the Charity are as follows:

"the aims and key objectives of the Charity are to financially support causes within the United Kingdom, in particular youth and education, the Armed Forces, such as through military charities, and public services such as medical research. The Charity does not seek to raise funds from the public and so there are no planned activities."

In the UK we have complex laws around Charities and what they can and can't do and over 30 years The Trailfinders Charity and Mike Gooley personally has donated many tens of millions to "good causes". Quite rightly, this is done in the best way for the beneficiaries, meeting the robust expectations of the Charity Commission and UK Law.

In addition, when it comes to the sustainability question asked around the Club we have recent evidence of their commitment to prudence that was completely IGNORED by the powers that be.

On earning promotion last season a sensible balanced plan was submitted to the RFU on how the club would manage and invest over the the first three years in the Premiership. Of course the centre of attention was the size of the 'stadium' and the illusion created around the necessity of needing a capacity of over 10,000 spectators. Not conceding to this ludicrous demand, that would have undermined the clubs' financial management and risked becoming a massive mistake if relegated, is again in my opinion evidence of the sensible decision making and sustainable culture that now permeates the club.

I think that it would come as a surprise to many of the readers here just how carefully the club is managed and the support from Sir Mike is built on the trust earned over decades and delivering not just professional rugby, but a community programme that rivals anything delivered by the P1 clubs.

Sorry to rant       
What a blessing it would be if we could open and shut our ears as easily as we open and shut our eyes!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic