National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Are Ealing a sustainable club?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 19:48
Again an interesting point @Blues,

The key question though for me would be ‘which’ entity are you talking about? I hope you’re not saying Bedford are still using a single club model for its incorporation and reporting. That would be a worrying choice IMO.

It is unfortunate, but given the era of professionalism and the costs associated with it CLUBS need to think very carefully about the financial structure of their operations.

Shaking buckets to raise money for the Minis and Youth doesn’t really work if it is paid into the same P&L that might be carrying pro players - Finn Russell is reputed to be playing for £750k+ a season. How many tag belts or mini rugby resources would that pay for? The Club Exec has to balance the interests of members, but doing this equitably in the age of professionalism is difficult unless some clarity and focus on relevant issues can be maintained.

IMO there is a critical need to protect the tradition and heritage of clubs. Too many have fallen foul of mismanagement and run into debt due to creeping costs and a desire to win more games.

This means that you have to split out all elements of professional rugby and the related costs/income. You then have transparency for all Club members, especially at the AGM, and everyone can see what money is going where.

This also means sponsors can see what their money is doing for the club. Some might want to support the pro side, others the kids side of the game. This is a win-win for everyone and if done properly helps build long term sustainability and reflects the members AND sponsors interests.

What a blessing it would be if we could open and shut our ears as easily as we open and shut our eyes!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 00:25
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

So on the week 9 subject it was said that Ealing are sustainable from their last set of accounts (presumably 2022).  I was going to comment there but I felt it deserves its own subject heading. Almost did a poll too.

Sustainable I guess isn’t quite the same as self-sustainable but I would wonder how sustainable it is without 1 person, just a few extracts from the June 2021 accounts (last filed)…

Reserves up to from £32k (2020) to £299k (2021) sounds great but…

COVID grants £564k (2021) and £329K (2020)
Promotional income from Trailfinders Ltd £2.7m v £1.6m
The Mike Gooley Trailfinders Charity £2.4m v £1.4m

So only about £5.1m in the 2021 year and £3m the previous year ignoring the COVID grants.

It appears to me and happy to stand corrected, Trailfinders Ltd owned by Mike Gooley gifts money to The Mike Gooley Charity, (Mike Gooley and family are the trustees) which gifts money to the Trailfinders rugby club, which happens to be owned Mike Gooley!

Is gifting money from a charity to a professional rugby club a charitable purpose?

2022 saw 
Promotional income of £3m
The Mike Gooley Trailfinders Charity £3.1m

Despite all this income before other the other sources (match day sales etc.) the reserves went down from £299k to £246k.

So the last 3 years, £14.2million has been invested for Championship status.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 15:21
I think you are wrong to say the investment is for Championship status. It is obviously for Premiership status .

Edited by No 7 - 15 Jan 2023 at 16:08
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 16:42
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

I think you are wrong to say the investment is for Championship status. It is obviously for Premiership status .
And Premier 15s, which has been achieved. Also, don't forget that there has been huge infrastructure investment into the £3m indoor training facility, so this isnt just wages.
Fat Albert View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 19:54
Apologies for the slight digression but I'd like tp know what "sustainable" actually means

The Sri Lanka experiment indicates that sustainable agriculture sustains malnutrition, poverty, starvation and in short order, revolution!

The UK experiment indicates that sustainable energy sustains domestic energy costs (154%) rising at 3 times inflation (45%) since 2012!

Neither President Gotabaya Rajapaksa nor none of Gordon Brown, Dave(s) Milliband & Cameron, Theresa May or Boris Johnston were elected to triple the cost of energy, but that's what they chose to do and their successors indicate they'll continue doing.

On the whole I find the concept of "sustainability" something designed to divert attention from what matters, in the case of Ealing, are they the best club option to get promoted?

a Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 08:30
The more important principle is that there needs to be promotion and relegation, if any individual wants to spend all their money on a vanity project then fine but if they fail then they should return to the bottom of the pyramid . .  LS, LW and Richmond and not the like Wasps and Worcs . . although I expect Wasps to fail again and most likely Worcs!
Run with it
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 13:31
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

The more important principle is that there needs to be promotion and relegation, if any individual wants to spend all their money on a vanity project then fine but if they fail then they should return to the bottom of the pyramid . .  LS, LW and Richmond and not the like Wasps and Worcs . . although I expect Wasps to fail again and most likely Worcs!

Mike Gooley and Trailfinders partnership with Ealing Rugby started in 1999/ 2000. To call it a vanity project of Mike Gooley is a little off to say the least. He has funded and nurtured the Rugby relationship in every possible way. I have spoken with him many times and there is no vanity attached. He genuinely loves Rugby , his enthusiasm  shines through. He is an ex awarded SAS soldier and has built a world wide award winning business . He is a Sir, Vanity does not come in to it.

According to one poster on here his achievements and Rugby ambitions accounts for nothing and it is only down to his wealth !.  It has to be the most singularly pathetic statement ever posted on Rolling Maul.
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 13:48
No 7, I think when all the rose tinted glasses are removed, it would be hard to not see the link between wealth and doing well.

When my own club had deep deep pockets, we got promoted.  London Welsh did the same, Exeter before them or more commonly the much wealthier demoted team went straight back up.

Thats not to undermine the passion and determination required, but when you can afford any player, afford lots of them, have the best coaches and the wealth to create a vision, then it makes the whole darn thing much easier!

No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 15:12
Good player costs X very good player costs Y

Then all the other contributing factors come into play.

Quality of coaching staff
How many of the good and very good players can you afford.
Facilities 
Fan base / support.
Geography.
Team spirit and all that covers ( Caldy comes to mind )
Money. 
Etc
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 16:21
Helps if you can afford Y in the first place 
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 16:34

But LW cheated by taking over their amateur side's position, so didn't fully start at the bottom. Wasps and Worcs will probably do the same.
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 17:25
Absolutely no disrespect to Sir M Gooley, but unless he can find a way to make the club sustainable without Trailfinders underwriting it’s losses every year then it is in effect a vanity project.

He has built an amazing business and his passion is rugby, so he can do as he chooses with his vast wealth , and he has invested in infrastructure. But what is ETs average attendance, probably similar to most Nat 1 sides !
Run with it
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 18:50

Absolutely no disrespect to Sir M Gooley, but unless he can find a way to make the club sustainable without Trailfinders underwriting it’s losses every year then it is in effect a vanity project.

He has built an amazing business and his passion is rugby, so he can do as he chooses with his vast wealth , and he has invested in infrastructure. But what is ETs average attendance, probably similar to most Nat 1 sides !

Your understanding of a 'vanity project ' must be very different from my understanding. In my opinion it means that he has sponsored and mentored Ealing Rugby club for over 22 years because he feels the need to be praised or curry favour some how !. He does not need praise or seek approval of anyone in my opinion.
We have established that the gates at Ealing are poor but he does not need or require the gates to match London Irish  ( 12,000 at home ) 9,000 more than Bedford Blues.
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 19:29
How is this even a thread.

If you class a very rich owner as not being sustainable.

Then every club in Prem are not sustainable & the majority of L2 aren't sustainable.

Most clubs in L2, can't even plan for longer then 6-12 months... 

ET whatever happens on the pitch, at least it's fair to say they are trying to make it happen off the pitch 

Academy, Womens, Ground, Education Links

Whilst some clubs cut back, they are ploughing unforseen amounts into the community game.

WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 20:54
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

How is this even a thread.

If you class a very rich owner as not being sustainable.

Then every club in Prem are not sustainable & the majority of L2 aren't sustainable.

Most clubs in L2, can't even plan for longer then 6-12 months... 

ET whatever happens on the pitch, at least it's fair to say they are trying to make it happen off the pitch 

Academy, Womens, Ground, Education Links

Whilst some clubs cut back, they are ploughing unforseen amounts into the community game.

And I find that ploughing unforseen amounts into the community game is not only most commendable but which is what many  (not all ) Premiership clubs have thrived on over a period of time by building a relationship with the local community itself
The older I get, the better I was.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 08:09
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

And Premier 15s, which has been achieved. Also, don't forget that there has been huge infrastructure investment into the £3m indoor training facility, so this isnt just wages.

The £3m indoor training facility appears to be owned by the Charity (when I looked before). There is certainly no £3m assets in the rugby company. Ealing trailfinders rugby management.

Edited by The Blues - 17 Jan 2023 at 08:14
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 08:22
To be clear I’m now attacking Ealing here. What we all want is Ealing to thrive, but if you remove one man there appears to be very little to fall back on. Each company is standalone with no long term obligation to the other. 

With the Wasps and Worcester issues there should be proper scrutiny of accounts and a financial fair play criteria, which I think football have got that side of things better (not perfect) than rugby.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 09:11
I’m not 100% clear what ‘sustainable’ actually means in a rugby context. Would Ealing be able to sustain their current level of spending should Sir Mike no long be involved (for whatever reason)? Unless there was a replacement benefactor the answer is clearly no. But does that mean that Ealing could cut their cloth according, drop down a league, reduce squad size, perhaps follow a part semi-pro model? Clearly yes. Isn’t that how these things are supposed to work? The problem with Worcester and Wasps as I see it is that they were too proud (or arrogant) to even contemplate doing this. 

Edited by Trailfinder - 17 Jan 2023 at 09:11
jimbojetset View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 10:40
I think the title of this thread is incorrect. 

Is professional full time rugby sustainable under the current guidelines and requirements of the governing bodies. The answer is clearly no. Even the government select committee (bodies well known for preaching about poor practice that they themselves engage in) have identified the premiership as unsustainable.

However, when someone with deep enough pockets can operate a club within the boundaries of what they consider to be acceptable losses, then rugby will continue as is.

To be truly sustainable, you have to be realistic. What is the purpose of your club? Can your finances support that purpose over a period of time? During an engaging conversation with the Club Captain of Taunton this weekend, we discussed the fact that the season ends every year, but, "clubs" do not. The club is continuous, some have been around for 150 + years and will continue to do so, but, if they only plan for the next 6-12 months, then don't be surprised if they disappear well before the next 150 years.

Diversify your revenue stream, plan for the future, be realistic (which is hard to do when the RFU insists on 10,000 seat stadiums when most clubs don't get anywhere near that)

As for Ealing Trailfinders, they may be planning for the premiership, but, Mike Gooley is no fool, he's creating a facility that is broader than just the premiership.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 12:10
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

The problem with Worcester and Wasps as I see it is that they were too proud (or arrogant) to even contemplate doing this. 

Proud/arrogant or stupid?

To be fair that criticism could be levelled at every other Premiership club. It's just that Worcester and Wasps have been the first to fall.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic