National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Latest scores

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 16:39
Originally posted by Bedfordian Bedfordian wrote:

But where’s the fun in that! We don’t want to see mauls…. Never have, never will. It’s become the standard way of scoring at all levels. I’m just watching Harlequins vs Racing and they’ve spent 10 minutes resetting a scrum 5….. I’m fast forwarding through it! 

So in a nutshell, no scrums, no line out mauls.....the answer would seem to be Rugby League
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 17:11
It is not that the front row is poor, it is that they are giving up penalties - which should mean they are deliberately pulling down or breaking their bind.

If a back commits three illegal tackles, or throw the ball into touch three times, or was repeatedly offside, they too will see a card.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 09:14
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

But where’s the fun in that! We don’t want to see mauls…. Never have, never will. It’s become the standard way of scoring at all levels. I’m just watching Harlequins vs Racing and they’ve spent 10 minutes resetting a scrum 5….. I’m fast forwarding through it! 

So in a nutshell, no scrums, no line out mauls.....the answer would seem to be Rugby League
Depends how many people you want to return week after week.  I was frozen and bored to death at St Peters on Saturday.  The crowd was just over 1000, which is the poorest I have seen after many visits over the past ten years or so.  The Jersey pack were superb, perfect maul, powerful scrum, but I would never willingly pay to watch that again, so I won’t be going next season.  However, if you like that style of rugby, along with the ever diminishing number who attend such matches, that’s OK, but not for me.  
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 10:26
Would you go back if they promise to let you win and score the winning try with the ' try of the week, month, season'.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 11:23
Originally posted by Cricks at 2 Cricks at 2 wrote:

Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Depends how many people you want to return week after week.  I was frozen and bored to death at St Peters on Saturday.  The crowd was just over 1000, which is the poorest I have seen after many visits over the past ten years or so.  The Jersey pack were superb, perfect maul, powerful scrum, but I would never willingly pay to watch that again, so I won’t be going next season.  However, if you like that style of rugby, along with the ever diminishing number who attend such matches, that’s OK, but not for me.  
There's a really important issue flagged in this post by a seasoned rugby supporter. I left half way through the second half to walk the spaniels before dark on a brutally cold day and was equally bored with the match which was never a  real contest. The present laws of the game determine how teams need to play to win games with the emphasis on driven mauls and I would much rather see a more balanced version of 15 man rugby. Rugby laws evolve and I would strongly support moves to change the maul laws to force teams to use the ball after the first halt in a drive. The offside laws are probably well drafted but woefully enforced by match officials. As a former forward I would hate to see the scrum become uncontested but the present laws clearly lead to too many mismatches. Summer rugby is probably the answer to Baltic conditions in mid winter. 

Edited by corporalcarrot - 20 Dec 2022 at 11:24
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 12:18
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Would you go back if they promise to let you win and score the winning try with the ' try of the week, month, season'.
. We get try of the week regularly, but then again we have the support to make the votes.  COYB 

Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 15:24

. We get try of the week regularly, but then again we have the support to make the votes.  COYB 

It was a tad chilly to be fair. I did offer your 15 my coat at one point as he did look very cold!!

Edited by Brizzer - 20 Dec 2022 at 15:25
Tackle Low!!!!!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 17:26
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

It was a tad chilly to be fair. I did offer your 15 my coat at one point as he did look very cold!!
That was very noble of you Brizzer, he did look cold, as did Tappers.  We eventually warmed up in the Clubhouse then on to the Trafalgar in St Aubin, can’t remember the rest.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 19:10
It's a matter of considerable regret to me that, in spite of the Blues and the Reds building up a good relationship over the past decade and a bit, with plenty of mutual respect and healthy banter between supporters, and some truly fantastic games, Jersey victories are almost inevitably followed by a sprinkling of sourness from some quarters...
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 07:14
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

It's a matter of considerable regret to me that, in spite of the Blues and the Reds building up a good relationship over the past decade and a bit, with plenty of mutual respect and healthy banter between supporters, and some truly fantastic games, Jersey victories are almost inevitably followed by a sprinkling of sourness from some quarters...
I suspect there will be a correlation between the frequency of victories and the sourness of posts mate and it was ever thus. In the past decade the primary but of sour posts have probably been the best teams - Bris for many years were the target and now its Ealing who imo are the outstanding 15 man full court rugby team in the league. Jersey winning 10 games in a row with a game plan built around a magnificent tight 5 (or 6 when Cook plays blind side as he surely must on Saturday) puts them in the frame as the next potential target after Ealing are promoted. I for one recognize the huge effort Jersey (and you in particular) have made in welcoming visiting supporters over the years and the fact that they are enjoying cracking pubs like the Lamplighter & the Traf shows it works. 
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic