National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Jersey Reds v Caldy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jersey Reds v Caldy
    Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 15:03
Really looking forward to the resumption of league action, especially with our first game being a home one against the Ravers!

The main event is Saturday at 3pm, but we'll also have a gentle warm-up in our own wooden shack, a.k.a. the Pavilion, on Friday - bar open 5- 7.30pm offering the chance for visiting supporters to check out the lie of the land and compare notes with the home guard over a beer and some free nibbles.

I'm aware the official visiting party won't be available for this as they land at 8.15, but understand various others will already be here, so hope they can join, and that we'll get a decent number of Reds along as well.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 17:43
Nice to see this practice resumed after a few years. I'm sure the official party will be treated brilliantly "upstairs" on match day so a great chance for the rest to meet & greet. The number 9, 22 & 15 buses from Liberation station all drop off within a few hundred yards of the ground.

Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 18:50
We will be there
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 18:53
Could be 3 or 4 from Caldy arriving ahead of the official party…… that is three or four …. hundred
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 19:02
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Could be 3 or 4 from Caldy arriving ahead of the official party…… that is three or four …. hundred

They won't be disappointed, be twice and thoroughly enjoyed the trips, great hospitality.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 19:10
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

They won't be disappointed, be twice and thoroughly enjoyed the trips, great hospitality.

My favourite away trip by a country mile
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 10:05
There is considerable anticipation from many who inhabit Caldy's Bank regarding the trip to Jersey, however there is a level of ignorance regarding everyday life in Jersey that has also led to some anxiety.

Caldy's hierarchy has moved quickly to issue a list of hopefully accurate responses to the most Frequently Asked Questions. I have jotted down some of the most important questions and the official Caldy response below:

1. Wikipedia says they speak Jerisais in Jersey......will Caldy RFC be issuing a phrase book?
Graham has advised that the Jerisais phrase book won't be ready until next season. Graham's suggested work around is to only use Scouse sparingly and inject a few words of French in every other sentence.......if you don't know any French other foreign words will probably suffice as long as they are delivered confidently

2. Which side of the road is it best to drive on in Jersey ?
Graham is sure that everyone in Jersey drives on the left hand side of the road but he has also advised that people in Jersey are generally so wealthy that they all have chauffers so if you don't want to look like a tourist best get chauffered up. Graham has a special hat that Barrie Pilgrim asks him to wear when Graham does the odd driving job for him and this will be available on a first come basis first served basis.

3. Can we get Pot Noodle in Jersey or will we have to take our own?
Graham thinks Pot Noodle is available in Jersey but it is very expensive. Caldy RFC is bringing its own supply of Bombay Bad Boy as an International Saturday breakfast for the players and the official party. Graham has suggested that those who want to take a few pots in their hand luggage should speak to Lynn Ridgway. Lynn still has 120 packs of the 2018 Pot Noodle Christmas Dinner Special available from the club shop. (5% discount for a purchase of 4 or more! ......although only one commorative Pot Noodle 2018 Noel Mug per person)

4. Is everyone in Jersey 6ft 9ins and 19 1/2 stone?
Graham has been assured by Jersey RFC that although Jersey have probably the biggest set of forwards in World Rugby there are people of more average size on the island.......it is considered unlikely there is anyone as small as Graham or Roger

5. Will Robbie Fowler also be coming to Jersey to sign autographs and pose for selfies with star struck Jersey players?
Bob Cooke is trying to organise this but in case Robbie can't make it he will be arranging for another mystery Caldy star supporter to stand in. Bob cannot promise that the mystery Caldy star supporter will also come from the red side of Merseyside but he is confident that he will also wow the Jersey players.

Edited by Big Eddie - 27 Feb 2023 at 10:43
Bedford Bear View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedford Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 10:59

There is considerable anticipation from many who inhabit Caldy's Bank regarding the trip to Jersey, however there is a level of ignorance regarding everyday life in Jersey that has also led to some anxiety.

Caldy's hierarchy has moved quickly to issue a list of hopefully accurate responses to the most Frequently Asked Questions. I have jotted down some of the most important questions and the official Caldy response below:

1. Wikipedia says they speak Jerisais in Jersey......will Caldy RFC be issuing a phrase book?
Graham has advised that the Jerisais phrase book won't be ready until next season. Graham's suggested work around is to only use Scouse sparingly and inject a few words of French in every other sentence.......if you don't know any French other foreign words will probably suffice as long as they are delivered confidently

2. Which side of the road is it best to drive on in Jersey ?
Graham is sure that everyone in Jersey drives on the left hand side of the road but he has also advised that people in Jersey are generally so wealthy that they all have chauffers so if you don't want to look like a tourist best get chauffered up. Graham has a special hat that Barrie Pilgrim asks him to wear when Graham does the odd driving job for him and this will be available on a first come basis first served basis.

3. Can we get Pot Noodle in Jersey or will we have to take our own?
Graham thinks Pot Noodle is available in Jersey but it is very expensive. Caldy RFC is bringing its own supply of Bombay Bad Boy as an International Saturday breakfast for the players and the official party. Graham has suggested that those who want to take a few pots in their hand luggage should speak to Lynn Ridgway. Lynn still has 120 packs of the 2018 Pot Noodle Christmas Dinner Special available from the club shop. (5% discount for a purchase of 4 or more! ......although only one commorative Pot Noodle 2018 Noel Mug per person)

4. Is everyone in Jersey 6ft 9ins and 19 1/2 stone?
Graham has been assured by Jersey RFC that although Jersey have probably the biggest set of forwards in World Rugby there are people of more average size on the island.......it is considered unlikely there is anyone as small as Graham or Roger

5. Will Robbie Fowler also be coming to Jersey to sign autographs and pose for selfies with star struck Jersey players?
Bob Cooke is trying to organise this but in case Robbie can't make it he will be arranging for another mystery Caldy star supporter to stand in. Bob cannot promise that the mystery Caldy star supporter will also come from the red side of Merseyside but he is confident that he will also wow the Jersey players.

6. Shall I bring Euros? From an ex player who shall remain nameless LOL
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 11:44
Bedford Bear,

to be honest you may have saved Graham a trip to the Post Office.........after we told him that neither pesetas nor francs are used in Jersey he was very keen to change his £ sterling for Euros. His other concern was whether he would get a better rate at Liverpool Airport or West Kirby Post Office........... Barrie Pilgrim suggested that the difference on £24.50 was unlikely to move the needle either way.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 20:50
I've toured Jersey every year for nearly 2 decades, one Covid year excepted, even tho' I've lived here for 14 years. Mrs Islander looks forward to having me out of the way for 3ish days, even if she has to put up with me turning up to her Veterans tournament with my fellow tourists (the ones who've actually flown over) and then creeping home in a bedraggled state post-tour.

It was the first w/e of October last year, but happily I'd just about recovered for the trip to Caldy a week later, which was equally as enjoyable as my 'staycation tour' had been. I hope the Ravers will have a great time - certainly they seem very well-organised, & travelling in good numbers. I'm only sorry we won't be reciprocating the shirt-sleeve conditions we had up there - going to be pretty nippy this w/e I think, not quite the Mediterranean conditions our tourist board would have you believe. 

Bring it on! Thumbs UpBeer
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 10:43
Islander,

Thank you for starting this thread. Our forthcoming visit to Jersey is eagerly anticipated by everyone at Caldy. Graham is giddy with excitement. To get on a plane or a ferry to watch Caldy play a league fixture is momentous ......it has happened before though.

At level 6 or level 7 Caldy were in the same league as the Vagabonds club from the Isle of Man. The aeroplane trip to and from Douglas from Liverpool's then Speke Airport was an event in itself:

One of the party repeatedly set off the security scanner.... it wasn't his phone or his watch.  A brisk frisk gave the all clear. On Friday the Caldy official will be reminded to remove his impressively large and intimate jewellry and place it along with his loose change into the security tray lest he delay the flight.

The game which Caldy won narrowly was characterized by the performance of the Vagabond's tighthead who consistently drove the Caldy scrum backwards at a rate of knots. When post match the Caldy DOR admonished Caldy's freakishly strong loose head Charlie Barwood for not (illegally) dropping the scrum to halt the advance ....Chariie's reply was illuminating "Tony, I would have done so but I never had my feet on the ground"

The return flight was made memorable by the appearance of a sign heralding the homecoming of Caldy tighthead prop Kev Green held aloft by his larger than life and irrepressable brother Maffa Green who (for some reason known only to Maffa) was fabulously dressed as a gigantic emerald green leprechaun !

I suspect the trip to Jersey will be equally enjoyable and will result in more Caldy fables

Edited by Big Eddie - 28 Feb 2023 at 20:42
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 14:05
Always had a great time on the island even if the result was rarely in our favour. IIRC one year our firsts, seconds & vets all went over.

I can highly recommend The Lamplighter in Mulcaster Street, The Old Smugglers Inn in Le Mont du Ouaisne & for an excellent curry, Cafe Spice in Kensington Place. 
One Club
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 17:43
Originally posted by Old Gold Old Gold wrote:

Always had a great time on the island even if the result was rarely in our favour. IIRC one year our firsts, seconds & vets all went over.

I can highly recommend The Lamplighter in Mulcaster Street, The Old Smugglers Inn in Le Mont du Ouaisne & for an excellent curry, Cafe Spice in Kensington Place. 

Thanks Old Gold for the recommendations I think we will visit all of those
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 18:23

[QUOTE=Old Gold]Always had a great time on the island even if the result was rarely in our favour. IIRC one year our firsts, seconds & vets all went over.

Which hotel will your bags be staying at Big Eddie?

Edited by Brizzer - 28 Feb 2023 at 18:24
Tackle Low!!!!!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 20:38
Brizzer I think it is called L'Horizon..........booked by the management (My much younger wife)......she selected the hotel, the room and the view and kindly advised me that I would be paying for it.

In recent weeks she has been as giddy as Graham at the prospect of what she keeps telling me will be 4 exciting nights in Jersey.....she hasn't mentioned the rugby once. 

I am slightly troubled that as of yet I haven't seen a payment appear on my credit card for either the room or the flights....

Edited by Big Eddie - 28 Feb 2023 at 20:43
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 21:12

Brizzer I think it is called L'Horizon..........booked by the management (My much younger wife)......she selected the hotel, the room and the view and kindly advised me that I would be paying for it.

In recent weeks she has been as giddy as Graham at the prospect of what she keeps telling me will be 4 exciting nights in Jersey.....she hasn't mentioned the rugby once. 

I am slightly troubled that as of yet I haven't seen a payment appear on my credit card for either the room or the flights....

The Boss has good taste. She will enjoy the Spa treatments I’m sure. Whilst she is ‘indulged’, if the tide is out you can walk across the beach to the Smugglers Inn. Some very nice ales, log fire and some decent pug grub awaits….. warning, it is a long walk if the tide is up
Tackle Low!!!!!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 22:42
I will check the tide tables….. 
PI003 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PI003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 07:56
Originally posted by Old Gold Old Gold wrote:

Big Eddie , as has been stated, you’ll have an excellent time on the island, lots of lovely places.  Our trips have been excellent.  
If you are in St Helier take a short stop at Liberation Square, if sunny, just take a moment.  
I do recommend The Lamplighter, nice ambiance but do not look at the ‘ Whisky Board’.   Unless Caldy have won of course! 
To you and your Caldy companions, have a great weekend.
Looking forward to welcoming you all on March 18th.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 09:05
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

The Boss has good taste. She will enjoy the Spa treatments I’m sure. Whilst she is ‘indulged’, if the tide is out you can walk across the beach to the Smugglers Inn. Some very nice ales, log fire and some decent pug grub awaits….. warning, it is a long walk if the tide is up
Fully agree with the Brizmeister real quality digs mate - I think someone told me the late Queen once stayed there. The Oyster Box is 250 meters west of your hotel and well worth a visit. I live at the top of the hill behind the hotel  and the beach in front is the regular haunt of my pair of Spaniels. Enjoy the tour mate I'm sure the laws of hospitality will ensure Jersey will only select their smaller forwards and save the really huge lads for Ealing next month!
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 09:22
P1003,

I appreciate your recommendations and particularly your suggestion that we take a moment in Liberation Square. I will research the history and whatever the weather we will most certainly take a moment in Liberation Square. 

The suggestions and endorsements from contributors on RM are very welcome and are providing extra enjoyment for the Caldy supporters as they plan their time on Jersey.

Graham (who is Caldy's logistics guru) is beside himself with happiness........now the only thing he has to worry about is getting on the right flight (Graham did question why the airport was called New Jersey) ......and of course ensuring he isn't delayed going through Liverpool Airport's security
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic