National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Papa John's Trophy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:01
Ironically, they get it right in the text.
The apostrophe is only in the URL.

Sweeney Delenda Est
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 12:43
Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

Papa Johns brand name doesn’t have an apostrophe. The RFU should show more diligence towards its sponsors.

RFU and due diligence? Brilliant LOL
HAVANT TONY View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 21:12
APOSTROPHES ' ' !!
Blimey Gent's you really do need to get out a bit more, but if you can't  I've added some apostrophes in this sentence  for you to find 😂
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 21:46
Originally posted by HAVANT TONY HAVANT TONY wrote:

APOSTROPHES ' ' !!
Blimey Gent's you really do need to get out a bit more, but if you can't  I've added some apostrophes in this sentence  for you to find 😂

Clap
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 21:50

Papa Johns brand name doesn’t have an apostrophe. The RFU should show more diligence towards its sponsors.
Perhaps it should have read Papa Johns' as it's their Trophy, or maybe even Papa Johns's (doubtful) Wink
The older I get, the better I was.
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 22:04
Or even The Papa Johns Community Cup
DICKON View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICKON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 06:42
Papa Johns Community Walkover?
Bunkermentality View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkermentality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:41
Originally posted by WESTCOMBE RANGER WESTCOMBE RANGER wrote:

Perhaps it should have read Papa Johns' as it's their Trophy, or maybe even Papa Johns's (doubtful) Wink
Possibly correct. But there's no doubt that it is "Papa Johns' brand name".
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:47
Originally posted by Bunkermentality Bunkermentality wrote:

Originally posted by WESTCOMBE RANGER WESTCOMBE RANGER wrote:

Possibly correct. But there's no doubt that it is "Papa Johns' brand name".
Can’t argue with that. 
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 17:32
Anyone tried their club's pizza code?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 18:51
Apparently Lincoln, Wthycombe and Aireborough have pulled out, giving Beverley, St Ives (SW), and Old Bedians Away Walkovers - to add to the byes.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 08:38
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Apparently Lincoln, Wthycombe and Aireborough have pulled out, giving Beverley, St Ives (SW), and Old Bedians Away Walkovers - to add to the byes.

Let me guess, they signed up knowing they might have to do long trips. They don't like the distances for the oppo so now they are pulling out?
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 08:43
Think its the tip of the iceberg, several more Walkovers this week expected. 

AWO? So all three Home Clubs cried off?

Edited by PiffPaff - 27 Mar 2023 at 08:48
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 09:14
That was what surprised me.
Sweeney Delenda Est
carlos fandango View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlos fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 11:52
There seems to be lots of negativity about this competition. Papa John's must be wondering why they bothered and what an ungrateful bunch rugby clubs are.

From the little I know of the reasons for the pull-outs, I find the attitude of many clubs to be, frankly, quite appalling. Too far to travel? Horsepawpaw. We can't win against them? Cowardly horsepawpaw.

Anyone old enough to remember Thurrock beating Harlequins in the old JPS cup (I think it was)?  If you don't even turn up you should be ashamed.

Rant over- feel better for that.  Tongue
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 12:59
Certainly do remember that, alongwith Old Reigations dumping Saracens out in 1987
The older I get, the better I was.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 13:05
All these clubs dropping out.

I suppose it makes me understand why we don’t have a knockout cups like Leagues Challenge Cup, or Footballs Cup, Trophy and Vase.

Let’s face it the early rounds are regional affairs. We don’t even have a national final (do we?)
The older I get, the more the RFU leave me confused.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 13:18
I am another who fails to understand the withdrawing clubs attitudes.  They didn't have to enter but once they did - and knowing in advance that travelling may be necessary - they should have honoured the tie. I feel sorry for the RFU who have managed to get a new sponsor into the game and for the sponsors themselves who would be bringing revenue to the clubs. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 13:58
Agree - it's bordering on disrepute. Arguably clubs should have to lodge some form of deposit to enter, which is refunded on completion of their first game...
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 16:28
Originally posted by carlos fandango carlos fandango wrote:

There seems to be lots of negativity about this competition. Papa John's must be wondering why they bothered and what an ungrateful bunch rugby clubs are.

From the little I know of the reasons for the pull-outs, I find the attitude of many clubs to be, frankly, quite appalling. Too far to travel? Horsepawpaw. We can't win against them? Cowardly horsepawpaw.

Anyone old enough to remember Thurrock beating Harlequins in the old JPS cup (I think it was)?  If you don't even turn up you should be ashamed.

Rant over- feel better for that.  Tongue

I'm not quite as old as you but I share that sentiment. You entered that competition, you knew you might have to do a long away trip (the RFU didn't hide it, they made it very clear it would have at least 1 from SE/SC/SW and North equivalent), then honour your commitments and get a bit of money from the home game you have. If don't fancy it based on distance/oppo league position/no. of home games etc, then don't enter in the first place! What did these clubs think they were signing up for? 

The problem is that the RFU can't just do what they do in the leagues and dock points nor can they just ban them from entering next year lest it gets turned into more of a farce. Maybe next year, if its a super long distance then offer a little bit for some hotels and let them make it more of a tour than a long haul away game. Plus have all finals at Twickers like the Intermediate Cup/Senior Vase/Junior Vase at Level 6 were.

But I frankly ask those clubs, what are you here for? To play and promote the game plus get a bit of extra cash or just kowtow to a new boys club who say "I don't like it, too far, I want to watch Ant and Dec with the bird in the evening"?

Edited by Robb - 27 Mar 2023 at 16:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
  Share Topic