National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Prem Champ Cup confirmed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prem Champ Cup confirmed
    Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 20:56
Confirmed by Cov Chairman in an open letter to supporters on their website & social channels... extract below:

“In addition to the league programme there will be a cup competition with all Premiership and Championship clubs participating. Whilst the full details of the season structure are being worked out by the RFU, that will result in more games at BPA that will be covered by your season ticket & produce some must-watch matches.”
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 21:12
So they have sorted out a cup competition, but we still don’t know who will be in the league next season, if there will be promotion from Nat 1 or relegation from the Championship or indeed if Wasps can actually get a match day squad together and play on something other than a council park pitch.
But at least they have the priority of the cup competition sorted
Tackle Low!!!!!
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 21:34
Looking forward to the pools 
Harliquins, London Scottish, Exeter, Pirates
Leicester, Nottingham, Northampton, Bedford.
Saracens, Ampthill, Caldy Sale Sharks

Just for Starters, who gets the Academy players?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 21:47
Looking forward to Quins heading to Grantchester Road.
Might just test my loyalty.
Sweeney Delenda Est
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 22:13
Which Team will Northampton and Bedford dual reg players play for?

Edited by kempstonblue - 03 Apr 2023 at 22:16
The older I get, the more the RFU leave me confused.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 22:38
Is Quins A playing London Scottish the rugby equivalent of dividing by zero?
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 23:41
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Which Team will Northampton and Bedford dual reg players play for?

That’s what was mentioned the other day, maybe with more games we will be able to afford more Blues players but then that doesn’t help the young Saints lads who have really developed over the year and love playing for Blues!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 23:42
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Is Quins A playing London Scottish the rugby equivalent of dividing by zero?

Match abandoned due to not enough players to meet the 23 man squads of both sides. 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 04:47
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Confirmed by Cov Chairman in an open letter to supporters on their website & social channels... extract below:

“In addition to the league programme there will be a cup competition with all Premiership and Championship clubs participating. Whilst the full details of the season structure are being worked out by the RFU, that will result in more games at BPA that will be covered by your season ticket & produce some must-watch matches.”

I really want to see some details here.

So currently Championship has 12 teams.
11 League Matches and three cup games, 14 games

We are told Premiership 2 has 10 clubs
9 League games + cup games….but how many cup games to give BPA season tickets More Games and More Must Watch? Even if you have 4 pools of that’s and all you do is play against another pool, eg a Prem 2 side plays 5 Prem 1 sides in another pool. It’s still 14 games.

And assuming theses cup games are like current played around International periods, the Prem A sides will be 2nd XV at best…really must watch matches?

Someone at BPA is easily satisfied…or I am a cynic.

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 04:50
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

I really want to see some details here.

So currently Championship has 12 teams.
11 League Matches and three cup games, 14 games

We are told Premiership 2 has 10 clubs
9 League games + cup games….but how many cup games to give BPA season tickets More Games and More Must Watch? Even if you have 4 pools of 5 and all you do is play against another pool, eg a Prem 2 side plays 5 Prem 1 sides in another pool. It’s still 14 games.

And assuming theses cup games are like current played around International periods, the Prem A sides will be 2nd XV at best…really must watch matches?

Someone at BPA is easily satisfied…or I am a cynic.

islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 07:23
KB. There's a lot of talk about move to Prem1/Prem2, 2 leagues of 10 etc, but no-one is suggesting that structure would be with us in 23/24 - if it happened, it would be 24/25. Whereas this cup has been announced as coming next season. Presume the hope/intention would be to have a nice round 24 clubs, but we await confirmation of that figure. I guess it depends on a) Wasps and/or b) whether a team is relegated from the Champ...

The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 08:16
I was also told the other day we could go up to a 35 game season in total! So potentially a lot more rugby to watch.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 09:00
And what size squad do we need to survive that?

Which means more cost - especially as there will be fewer loan players available - especially during the cup.
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 09:33
Not heard 35 - that's a pretty high figure... (would stretch 8 full months Sept-Apr inc without a single w/e off)
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 10:06

Not heard 35 - that's a pretty high figure... (would stretch 8 full months Sept-Apr inc without a single w/e off)
Is it unreasonable to assume that the proper people in charge will have worked out the additional cost of these proposals? The real issue is who pays this cost - TV companies, sponsors, club owners, punters at the turnstiles or cuts in employee salaries. A bit of honesty and transparency on these matters would seem overdue.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Baggins View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 10:10
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Is it unreasonable to assume that the proper people in charge will have worked out the additional cost of these proposals? The real issue is who pays this cost - TV companies, sponsors, club owners, punters at the turnstiles or cuts in employee salaries. A bit of honesty and transparency on these matters would seem overdue.

Not to mention that with head injuries caused by repeated impact becoming better understood it would appear that this is heading in completely the wrong direction.

We either need smaller leagues and fewer games or much larger squads with mandatory games per season for players that they cannot exceed.

Either way this means less money in the game for players

Propping up the board
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 10:12
I suspect we are looking at 24 league games and six pool games in the cup - and a possibility of three knock out games.  I am not sure where the last two come from.

But realistically, the knock-out rounds will feature full Premiership sides. They cannot afford to lose to a championship side.

Of course, if LS win a reprieve, there will be 25 teams, and therefore 5 pools of five - but i am not sure how that could be organized.
Sweeney Delenda Est
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 13:44
Any official communiques on this topic? (Other than the open letter from Cov?) I have tried locating something but nothing as of yet.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 22:09

I would guess we would go to end of May like the Premiership if that is the case.

We do go back to funding issues, as say Blues probably like more games but the less well supported teams like having a month less of playing time. There were issues when we had playoffs where some clubs didn’t have players contracted if they made it all the way or semis.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 19:43
The Cov pricing structure has now been released, here: https://www.coventryrugby.co.uk/2023-24-season-memberships-on-sale-now/

The figures would suggest 17 home matches as part of the season ticket.
Our City,
Our Club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic