National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Nat 1 Clubs and their history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nat 1 Clubs and their history
    Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 11:45
As part of my enjoyment of following the game at a distance(I now live in NE Scotland) I am trying to find out a bit about some of the Nat1 clubs. I know a little about Rosslyn Parks and Mosleys' history from back in the amateur days when they played against the Tigers, some of the clubs Leicester Lions have crossed swords with in Nat 2 North and South, but some are a mystery.
Cinderford seem to have been in the league for a long time along with Cambridge, Bishops Stortford and Plymouth Albion. We don't yet know which of the three at the top will go up yet, but curious to know a bit about the clubs past and future plans.
The Lions had a five year plan to gain promotion to level 3, no idea what the next plan is, but I guess it just might include staying at this level for the next five.

Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 19:02
If you look on Blackheath Rugby website there is a brief history of the club which covers the relevant points but cannot remember if it covers recent years
So many Christians not enough Lions
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 19:15
Cambridge enter their centenary later this year.

Looking forward to new beginnings.
PropDad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PropDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 00:52
As do Esher.
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 10:18
Birmingham Moseley 150 years this year. 
Cauliflower ear.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 10:38
What's the history behind the Chinnor badge with the Falcon(I'm an ex falconer myself from many moons ago).
Jezmar View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jezmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 07:27
Chinnor RFC was founded in 1962 in the Bird In Hand Pub in Chinnor, hence the club badge. They played their first game the following year. Initially they played on a farmers field opposite the pub but having to use changing facilities three miles down the road at Bledlow Cricket club.
The club moved down the road to Towersey in 1971 where they played until moving to Thame in 1987.

billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 09:20
Originally posted by kingsheathlad kingsheathlad wrote:

A rather nice hardback 150th anniversary history is being launched at the home game on Saturday, and is now available to buy (delivery post launch, or collection on the day) from the club website.

Some of the glory days really were glorious - so if you want to relive the tales of Doble, Cooper, Fielding, Finlan, Horton, Webster, et al, or Derek Nutt holding up half the John Player Cup at Twickenham, or (presumably, I've not read it) how Moseley - mostly - came to win an Olympic Medal for rugby then you know where to go!
keep the faith
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 09:35
And in the black and red corner we will have Blackheath. Famously the cub of John Watson MD, and founder member of the FA. Now playing in Eltham. Due to playing Blackheath school too often in the early years - when there were fewer opponents - they cheer on "Club".
Sweeney Delenda Est
Moseley Mauler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moseley Mauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 11:35
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

Originally posted by kingsheathlad kingsheathlad wrote:

A rather nice hardback 150th anniversary history is being launched at the home game on Saturday, and is now available to buy (delivery post launch, or collection on the day) from the club website.

Some of the glory days really were glorious - so if you want to relive the tales of Doble, Cooper, Fielding, Finlan, Horton, Webster, et al, or Derek Nutt holding up half the John Player Cup at Twickenham, or (presumably, I've not read it) how Moseley - mostly - came to win an Olympic Medal for rugby then you know where to go!

And I am told that I feature in a picture - albeit not in playing kit! LOL
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 15:20
Esher's Centenary year starts with a reception at Hampton Court this month and ends with a Gala Dinner at the AELTC Wimbledon in April. We have a match against Newport on Friday 25th August because on of our founding members had played for that Club and asked that the new Club played in their colours - black and amber. Pee in the Wheatsheaf in Esher, where we were founded, and you can see some photos from the early days. We have two living Presidents, Ross Howard who has been President for 25 years and Basil Lambert who turned 100 earlier this year. Both characters in different ways!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 16:43
So starting at a Tennis Court and ending up with Croquet.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 16:56
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

RAID ON
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 17:17

And in the black and red corner we will have Blackheath. Famously the cub of John Watson MD, and founder member of the FA. Now playing in Eltham. Due to playing Blackheath school too often in the early years - when there were fewer opponents - they cheer on "Club".

Thought Guy's was 1810 ........
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 17:17

A bit like Real Tennis
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
stonehousealbion View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stonehousealbion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 10:15
PARFC (a post WW1 amalgam of Devonport Albion and Plymouth RFC) will hit 150 in 2026 and are patently on the up from last season's Nat 1 nadir. It is a family-owned Private Limited Company and aiming to become more of of a traditional club with a successfully re-born Youth Section.

The facilities (good enough for Namibia in 2015) were built by an ambitious Level 2 club/plc in the decade following a move to the vacant RN sports ground in 2003. So, the less than attractive prospect of the Champ (at least) still beckons. A lot has changed since we took the drop in 2015, not least Caldy surviving a season there, ahead of Richmond and L Scottish...
Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2023 at 10:38
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Esher's Centenary year starts with a reception at Hampton Court this month and ends with a Gala Dinner at the AELTC Wimbledon in April. We have a match against Newport on Friday 25th August because on of our founding members had played for that Club and asked that the new Club played in their colours - black and amber. Pee in the Wheatsheaf in Esher, where we were founded, and you can see some photos from the early days. We have two living Presidents, Ross Howard who has been President for 25 years and Basil Lambert who turned 100 earlier this year. Both characters in different ways!

I'm sure the Wheatsheaf will be grateful for your invitation for people to pee in the pub Halliford!

tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 21:40
Watching some of the highlights on youtube, it looks like Roslyn Park have an artificial surface are there others in Nat 1, just curious?
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 07:42
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Watching some of the highlights on youtube, it looks like Roslyn Park have an artificial surface are there others in Nat 1, just curious?
I haven't been to Leeds, Hull and Taunton's grounds, but pretty sure all others are good old natural grass. 
Cauliflower ear.
Berksrugby View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Berksrugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 09:05
Yes only RP in Nat 1 with a 4G pitch. It may be one of the reasons that their away form in particular suffers, especially during the wet (and sometimes boggy) winter months.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic