National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

BUCS Final

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All the Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BUCS Final
    Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 20:59
Anyone been watching the BUCS Super Rugby final, it's currently in extra time?
ParkBench View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParkBench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 13:11
cracking game
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 13:32
Was it on YouTube? Is BUCS SR standard somewhere between Levels 4/5?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 13:40
I understand Exeter and Loughborough regard the national league side as their first XV.
So the league must be below level 4.

But as both as safe, the Saturday players might have turned out.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 19:47
The sides in the Nat 2 West are considered their 2nd teams, both clubs prioritise the Bucs games.  At times in Nat.2 you may come up against their Bucs players.
This final is Level 3 standard.  Exeter Uni beat Plymouth Albion in pre season for instance and would probably win Nat.2 west with their Bucs team.
Jasper99 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 22:05
Originally posted by Redted Redted wrote:

Exeter Uni beat Plymouth Albion in pre season for instance and would probably win Nat.2 west with their Bucs team.

Wow! That's some statement. Don't think it's accurate, particularly when winter arrives.
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 22:18
Originally posted by Redted Redted wrote:

The sides in the Nat 2 West are considered their 2nd teams, both clubs prioritise the Bucs games.  At times in Nat.2 you may come up against their Bucs players.
This final is Level 3 standard.  Exeter Uni beat Plymouth Albion in pre season for instance and would probably win Nat.2 west with their Bucs team.

IMHO, University teams should not be included within the National league system.
I, and others I know, work hard to raise funds to support the Club we follow and, we resent having our taxes used to support University teams in the National Leagues.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 08:32
That of course is a separate argument.  The point is valid though.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 09:20
I stand corrected.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Pilier View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 12:30
At least they are genuine students unlike Hartpury who in the past have employed former premiership forwards to built and repair fences in their equestrian centre and played them in the rugby team
All the Way View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All the Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2023 at 17:34
Originally posted by Se7en Se7en wrote:

Was it on YouTube? Is BUCS SR standard somewhere between Levels 4/5?
Bit late, I know, but it on the website https://bucs.tv/home/videos/vzgE04qYN2ry8gUJBC5c
Live games are on Wednesday and times vary, but maybe something to remember for next season.
ParkBench View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParkBench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 11:17
Originally posted by All the Way All the Way wrote:

[QUOTE=Se7en]Was it on YouTube? Is BUCS SR standard somewhere between Levels 4/5?

Some of the Super Rugby second XVs play in National League 2.

The 1st teams play a fabulous standard. 

There is a difference in quality over the season between the sides that field professional academy players that are doing a degree as well and those that seem to be mostly made up of outstanding recent schools players (many of whom would have been in the academy system but made it as far). Whilst the stronger squads inevitably rise to the top over the course of the year there have been many instances where a team with virtually no professional club signed up players have upset one of the big boys. I can only recommend watching the games as they generally w
don’t interfere with following club rugby. 

From the outside it seems a pretty honest League as the players and DoRs would all know and would call out any shenanigans fielding non-students. 

The competition to stay in the top tier is as fierce as the press to get into it. Promotion and Relegation has created a lively structure. No ring-fencing there.

The crowds are vocal and magnificent (keep in mind I’m speaking as a National 1 supporter) though I imagine a lot of that is down to amazingly low beer prices (especially at Durham).

Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 16:33
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 16:41
Originally posted by ParkBench ParkBench wrote:

Originally posted by All the Way All the Way wrote:

[QUOTE=Se7en]Was it on YouTube? Is BUCS SR standard somewhere between Levels 4/5?

Some of the Super Rugby second XVs play in National League 2.

The 1st teams play a fabulous standard. 

There is a difference in quality over the season between the sides that field professional academy players that are doing a degree as well and those that seem to be mostly made up of outstanding recent schools players (many of whom would have been in the academy system but made it as far). Whilst the stronger squads inevitably rise to the top over the course of the year there have been many instances where a team with virtually no professional club signed up players have upset one of the big boys. I can only recommend watching the games as they generally w
don’t interfere with following club rugby. 

From the outside it seems a pretty honest League as the players and DoRs would all know and would call out any shenanigans fielding non-students. 

The competition to stay in the top tier is as fierce as the press to get into it. Promotion and Relegation has created a lively structure. No ring-fencing there.

The crowds are vocal and magnificent (keep in mind I’m speaking as a National 1 supporter) though I imagine a lot of that is down to amazingly low beer prices (especially at Durham).

Agree with all of that. The first-team rugby at the top level is frighteningly good, and made up of academy rejects and people who were never even on the books to start with. My own old university, Exeter, have a *very* good first XV who I wouldn't like to see play Moseley.

It's another triumph of rugby in England - while the structure has been mucked around with endlessly the university system/leagues have quietly built themselves back up in standard almost to 1960s levels - and they've done all this without anyone really noticing. I'm not sure if it's a sad indictment of the RFU or club rugby or both, but if you support a team in level 3 or below, there are multiple universities whose sides of genuine bona fide students could do your team a mischief. A wire diagram of English rugby should show Super Rugby pretty much alongside National 1/2 IMO.

Which should be food for thought on a number of levels.

Edited by billesleyexile - 26 Apr 2023 at 16:43
keep the faith
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 18:47
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/26/crowd-behaviour-at-student-rugby-union-under-scrutiny-after-finals-day-fracas?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The one fabulous thing about level 4 reorganization was never having to visit Loughborough University again.
I hated every single thing about the experience, but especially the boorish, Huckleberryly Pearen, childish supporters.

Edited by backrowb - 26 Apr 2023 at 18:48
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 18:49
How can D r u n k e n be a swear word?
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 22:15
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/26/crowd-behaviour-at-student-rugby-union-under-scrutiny-after-finals-day-fracas?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The one fabulous thing about level 4 reorganization was never having to visit Loughborough University again.
I hated every single thing about the experience, but especially the boorish, Huckleberryly Pearen, childish supporters.

Here here!
Totally agree. On my last visit to Loughborough the language used by the student supporters towards the away support was terrible.
There is no Club, a couple of old boys and a young student president tried to provide hospitality to the visiting committee but once the game started we were targeted for childish abuse. 

All Knwoing All Seeing
Dad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 10:49
Meanwhile brunel (trailfinders) beat Cambridge uni at home to go into bucs women's prem south in front of a respectful crowd in game not decided until the last couple of minutes.

2 to go Brunel were 24:20 up but camped on their own tryline. Curfc the gave aaway a couple of pens in quick succession leading to a 5m line out for Brunel at the other end which they scored from.

The women's game obv has a lot to teach the boys at BUCS level
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 13:31
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

Here here!
Totally agree. On my last visit to Loughborough the language used by the student supporters towards the away support was terrible.
There is no Club, a couple of old boys and a young student president tried to provide hospitality to the visiting committee but once the game started we were targeted for childish abuse. 

I went to dozens  of games at Loughborough , some of them to support Ealing but mostly to watch my eldest son play for Loughborough. I never heard any excessive bad language or goading of opposition supporters. It is a University that produces and develops more players than any club I know of. The Premiership , Championship and National One leagues are littered with ex Loughborough Players. 
I always enjoyed my experiences at the club bar the ground and after match experience.

Edited by No 7 - 27 Apr 2023 at 13:33
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 14:56
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

Here here!

I went to dozens  of games at Loughborough , some of them to support Ealing but mostly to watch my eldest son play for Loughborough. I never heard any excessive bad language or goading of opposition supporters. It is a University that produces and develops more players than any club I know of. The Premiership , Championship and National One leagues are littered with ex Loughborough Players. 
I always enjoyed my experiences at the club bar the ground and after match experience.

As I've already said in this thread, I'm hugely supportive of university rugby - but that 'produces and develops' is a hoary old problem isn't it. 

I'd be interested in how many ex-Loughborough players are lighting up the Premiership, Championship and National One who'd never picked up a rugby ball before they went to Loughborough*.

Or is it more (as to be fair Loughborough has always been, and Exeter is becoming now), that people who want to play rugby at university apply to them? 

Develops? Obviously. Produces? From scratch? Or takes on the products of other clubs/schools in the main?

*I know such people are out there - Lewis Bean, now of Glasgow, was one. He'd never picked up a rugby ball, got into his battalion team, stood out enough there to play for the Army, then went to Moseley. Pretty stratospheric rise from a standing start. But if Loughborough (or any other university) are routinely producing large numbers of top-three-tiers rugby players out the back end that weren't rugby players going in at 18-19 then that's worth knowing/trying to understand. 
keep the faith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic