National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Jack Nowells fine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jack Nowells fine
    Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 13:59
I must admit at being gobsmacked at a £10,000 fine handed out for this is so far over the topShocked

No he shouldnt have said it but he is hardly a serial offender

I think he will be glad to be playing in France next year 
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 14:20
I don't think being a serial offender has anything to do with it. 

He shouldn't have criticised the referee in the way he did and has been punished - presumably at such an amount that it makes others think twice. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 15:13
He also has to do the referees course.

It all comes down to "The referee is always right, (especially when he is wrong)."
and
"this is not football."

The next step is to fine the coaches when they mouth off - and maybe we will get some respect back into the game.
Sweeney Delenda Est
RamSale View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamSale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 17:29
The decision was awful in my opinion. I wonder if the matter was reviewed?   Red card recinded?   I do believe we have to follow the Southern Hemisphere and place the matter on report.   
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 18:15
Originally posted by Shamrose Shamrose wrote:

I must admit at being gobsmacked at a £10,000 fine handed out for this is so far over the topShocked

Nowell tweeted in haste.  As a professional sportsman he would be aware that he should not publish things on social media that undermine the officiating of the sport.

Dickson was applying the laws of the game as they stand.  The issuing of a second yellow card to Woodburn as part of awarding a penalty try was unavoidable.

Nowell made the comments following team-mate Olly Woodburn's red card during the Chiefs' defeat by Leicester.

The 30-year-old accepted his post prejudiced the game when appearing in front of an independent disciplinary panel on Wednesday.

He has to undertake a referees' course, with the fine being donated to charity.

Nowell said referee Karl Dickson's decision to show Woodburn his second yellow card for a deliberate knock-on was "one of the worst decisions" he had ever seen.

"I'm actually in shock, like shock shocked. What the hell is happening? That's one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. EVER," he wrote.

Nowell later deleted the tweet, which was posted to his 61,000 followers on Sunday.

"Respect for match officials - even if we disagree with their decisions, indeed especially if we disagree with their decisions - is a core part of rugby union. It is not a value that we can turn on and off when we choose," said panel chair Matthew O'Grady.

"Mr Nowell accepted his tweet, which was viewed many hundreds of thousands of times, was not fair comment and crossed the line of what is acceptable by a person with his considerable status in the game."
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 18:59
Originally posted by Steve@Mose Steve@Mose wrote:

Nowell tweeted in haste.  As a professional sportsman he would be aware that he should not publish things on social media that undermine the officiating of the sport.

Dickson was applying the laws of the game as they stand.  The issuing of a second yellow card to Woodburn as part of awarding a penalty try was unavoidable.

Nowell made the comments following team-mate Olly Woodburn's red card during the Chiefs' defeat by Leicester.

The 30-year-old accepted his post prejudiced the game when appearing in front of an independent disciplinary panel on Wednesday.

Nowell said referee Karl Dickson's decision to show Woodburn his second yellow card for a deliberate knock-on was "one of the worst decisions" he had ever seen.

"I'm actually in shock, like shock shocked. What the hell is happening? That's one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. EVER," he wrote.

Nowell later deleted the tweet, which was posted to his 61,000 followers on Sunday.

"Respect for match officials - even if we disagree with their decisions, indeed especially if we disagree with their decisions - is a core part of rugby union. It is not a value that we can turn on and off when we choose," said panel chair Matthew O'Grady.

"Mr Nowell accepted his tweet, which was viewed many hundreds of thousands of times, was not fair comment and crossed the line of what is acceptable by a person with his considerable status in the game."

I agree with the fine. Regardless of the referees decision. Professionals cannot openly question it in that way.

I don't agree that Dickson HAD to make that decision. That sort of situation is very rarely refereed in the manner that KD chose to.

Funnily enough there is a clip from the same match of Pollard tackling someone while on the floor that caused an injury. Neither TMO or referee decided to involve themselves.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 14:18
"Jack Nowells fine" - I disagree.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 16:06
Originally posted by Count Ford Count Ford wrote:

Originally posted by Steve@Mose Steve@Mose wrote:

I agree with the fine. Regardless of the referees decision. Professionals cannot openly question it in that way.

I don't agree that Dickson HAD to make that decision. That sort of situation is very rarely refereed in the manner that KD chose to.

Funnily enough there is a clip from the same match of Pollard tackling someone while on the floor that caused an injury. Neither TMO or referee decided to involve themselves.

Dickson is not a good referee - he has been involved in other contentious decisions this season
RAID ON
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 12:42
I'd love to see a list of the good referees who have never been involved in a contentious decision. It must be very short!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic