National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

New Signings and Retentions 23-24 - Event Date: 01 May 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 17:39
Ben Atkins to Rams. Another new edition for next season, and competition in the back row will be fierce! Haven't seen him play before, guessing he was a Prem Cup player and didn't feature in the Prem itself very often. His brother Jacob was a decent fly half for Irish and Rams, think he has gone abroad to play in Italy now.

Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 21:50
Ben Atkins a great back row signing. Irish had offered him a contract while he finished his degree. Played a lot for Esher last season and was usually outstanding. Disappointed that he has gone to Rams and not back to Esher.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 19:46
Experienced hooker Oli Taylor re-signs for the Leicester Lions, played 218 games for the club, he has Championship experience with Nottingham.

Edited by tigerburnie - 07 Jul 2023 at 20:52
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 09:25
Openside flanker Johnny Murdoch re-signs for the Lions a 236 cap veteran
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 10:42
In the front row, Mose sign Ben Betts from Nottingham and Lewis Holsey from Bedford.
keep the faith
jimbojetset View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 11:18
Looks like some clubs are splashing the cash this season. I’m assuming with the demise of LI, Worcester/Wasps means that it’s a buyers market?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 11:37
Only if the clubs have money to spend.
Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 11:48
or if they feel their squad wasn't quite good enough.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 11:52
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

or if they feel their squad wasn't quite good enough.
Given the competitiveness of the league last year, that makes this season a very interesting proposition indeed.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 11:52
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

LOLWhen has that ever stopped a rugby club from spending?
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 12:09
Originally posted by jimbojetset jimbojetset wrote:

I would suggest outside the Premiership and Championship quite often.

Edited by WEvans - 06 Jul 2023 at 12:09
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 13:13
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

I would suggest outside the Premiership and Championship quite often.
Really? I would suggest South Leicester, Old Elthamians would prove that statement as not totally accurate. Plenty of clubs spend more than they bring in, because they have one or two big spending sugar daddies. It's not just the Prem and Champ clubs. Sustainability is a massive issue in rugby and I would suggest the issue of lack of sustainability runs far deeper than just the Prem or Champ clubs.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 13:25
The opposite can also have an effect don’t spend enough suffer the consequences, find the tipping point
So many Christians not enough Lions
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 13:28
I guess those striving for promotion will have a different agenda to those not, Leicester Lions had a 5 year plan to get to Nat 1, that included recruiting experienced players to strengthen the squad and build a team. I don't know, but I am guessing the next 5 year plan will not include promotion to Prem2/Championship this season.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 16:14
James Stubbs Lions scrum half re-signs for the Lions for the coming season
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 16:56

Looks like some clubs are splashing the cash this season. I’m assuming with the demise of LI, Worcester/Wasps means that it’s a buyers market?

It looks like it's helping us to cherry pick in order to strengthen. 

One of the most pleasing things - virtually unheard of for a Moseley fan in recent years - is the level of continuity we're managing this season with last season's squad. 

I still maintain we had a very good but too small squad last season, and carried too many injuries to key players for too much of the season. 

Tables don't lie, but if the dice had rolled slightly differently I reckon we'd have done a lot better with broadly the same players as we had. We wouldn't have won the league, but I can see a scenario where we were well clear of needing to look over our shoulder. 

Which was the most frustrating thing about last season - flashes of brilliance from the backs, and a pack that could contend with anyone, punctuated by yet more broken bones and players all-at-sea well out of position through necessity.

Edited by billesleyexile - 06 Jul 2023 at 16:59
keep the faith
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 17:34
Rams sign another young London Irish player, again not seen him play but he's an England U19 and was on loan at Barnes last season, who did well trying to keep pace with Blackheath in N2E from memory so sure he'll be fine at Nat 1 level.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 18:07
I think you signed a Barnes player, who may well be able to step up.

Being in the academy gives an aura, but does not mean they are ever going to be good enough for the Premiership.

I am also not sure if England U19 or U20 is any better.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 18:58
Indeed, if he is playing in Nat 2 at 19 and keeps fit I'd hazard that he could have a promising future ahead of him, sadly not at Irish, but in the semi-pro domain nevertheless. 

The more the merrier with regards squad size as you'll know, injuries can mount, and having the quality in depth could be the difference between securing one more draw than the nearest competition in the league, and thus getting promoted when all is said and done Wink
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 10:09
Inside centre Jamel Hamilton re-signs for the Lions, a product of the Northampton Saints academy, he's played 117 games for the Lions since joining
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic