National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

JIFF & French squads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JIFF & French squads
    Posted: 16 May 2023 at 13:12
Toulon have two games to creep into the top 6 French clubs and thus European competition.

Under the French JIFF regulations (Joueurs Issus des Filières de Formation), clubs have to average 15 French qualified players in their matchday squads over a season. Toulon are close to that and are faced with playing French players only in their last two games.

It seems to me that a similar but possibly more harsh EQP rule should be applied in the Premiership and the Championship (even all clubs) to ameliorate English rugby's dire international success. There  is the argument that foreign players improve the quality of English rugby and thus make it more appealing to spectators but what is the purpose of rugby is it to provide a quality English team or to provide quality viewing - or to provide a positive social atmosphere for players?

There's a whole mishmash of issues in Rugby from club financial stability to player salary expectation, salary cap and marquee players, to levels of attendance and also of participation in the sport.

What to do? ( Happy to have current EQP regulations explained)

Answers on a postcard to Horace Bachelor, KEYNSHAM, Bristol (and if you understand that you're as old as I am)

Edited by FHLH - 16 May 2023 at 13:26
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 13:35
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Toulon have two games to creep into the top 6 French clubs and thus European competition.

Under the French JIFF regulations (Joueurs Issus des Filières de Formation), clubs have to average 15 French qualified players in their matchday squads over a season. Toulon are close to that and are faced with playing French players only in their last two games.

It seems to me that a similar but possibly more harsh EQP rule should be applied in the Premiership and the Championship (even all clubs) to ameliorate English rugby's dire international success. There  is the argument that foreign players improve the quality of English rugby and thus make it more appealing to spectators but what is the purpose of rugby is it to provide a quality English team or to provide quality viewing - or to provide a positive social atmosphere for players?

There's a whole mishmash of issues in Rugby from club financial stability to player salary expectation, salary cap and marquee players, to levels of attendance and also of participation in the sport.

What to do? ( Happy to have current EQP regulations explained)

Answers on a postcard to Horace Bachelor, KEYNSHAM, Bristol (and if you understand that you're as old as I am)

Premiership rugby teams are not there to run the England team, they are stand alone businesses. When the game went pro the top teams asked the RFU if they were going to run the game in England and they said no, the only home nation to do so.
Whilst they pay for access to players for training and playing for the National side, currently they do not fund any players, there is talk this may change in the next few weeks however.
There is a restriction on how many overseas players can be in a side and I kind of understand the reason, rugby doesn't want to follow soccer. It is however restrictive practice, which I am against, how can you restrict a sports persons right to work, in any other form of employment it would be called cloudberry..
and yes I am as old as you lol, Radio Luxemburg, I visited the place when I was there in 1970'
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 14:34
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

[Q
Premiership rugby teams are not there to run the England team, they are stand alone businesses. ...
Whilst they pay for access to players for training and playing for the National side, currently they do not fund any players, there is talk this may change in the next few weeks however.

The clubs aren't there to run the England team but they are there to provide the players to England. It is a symbiotic relationship. The RFU/England need the players from the clubs, the clubs need RFU/England to generate the money to pay for these players.  A successful England team is good for everyone in the game. 

In very simple terms the RFU have been paying £600,000 for each England player over the term of the current deal. Fundamentally it is not a payment for them to play for England - WorldRugby rules mean that the clubs have to release the players for internationals within the windows and limited pregame training. What this £600,000 is for is just extra access to players including limited out of the window access. There is a good argument for saying that this extra access - which should be training - has failed to provide a winning England side.

The Premiership clubs subsume this £600,000 into their general accounts and it gets spent on their entire squad - so in effect the RFU is funding their players.  

It would be far cheaper for the RFU to centrally contract 50 prospective internationals each season and then loan back to clubs for game time.  Despite rumours that clubs wouldn't accept these players 'on loan'. Clubs still need these players as they are the ones that a) are theoretically the best in the country and b) by virtue of been an international attract crowds, press, TV and sponsorship monies.  To not accept them is cutting off their nose to spite their face. 

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 15:23
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

[Q
Premiership rugby teams are not there to run the England team, they are stand alone businesses. ...

The clubs aren't there to run the England team but they are there to provide the players to England. It is a symbiotic relationship. The RFU/England need the players from the clubs, the clubs need RFU/England to generate the money to pay for these players.  A successful England team is good for everyone in the game. 

In very simple terms the RFU have been paying £600,000 for each England player over the term of the current deal. Fundamentally it is not a payment for them to play for England - WorldRugby rules mean that the clubs have to release the players for internationals within the windows and limited pregame training. What this £600,000 is for is just extra access to players including limited out of the window access. There is a good argument for saying that this extra access - which should be training - has failed to provide a winning England side.

The Premiership clubs subsume this £600,000 into their general accounts and it gets spent on their entire squad - so in effect the RFU is funding their players.  

It would be far cheaper for the RFU to centrally contract 50 prospective internationals each season and then loan back to clubs for game time.  Despite rumours that clubs wouldn't accept these players 'on loan'. Clubs still need these players as they are the ones that a) are theoretically the best in the country and b) by virtue of been an international attract crowds, press, TV and sponsorship monies.  To not accept them is cutting off their nose to spite their face. 

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 15:28

Not too sure where you get this figure, but the money from the RFU for international duties is shared equally amongst the teams, so even if a club has no players with England, they get the same as the club that provides up eight, which I think is the most one club has provided.
A lot of Premiership clubs stopped signing EQ players as they are never available to play, if you add on the rest days the amount of time England have the players away from their clubs when league games are being played makes £600K seems very cheap to me.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 15:34

How the hell does that work, would you want Cambridge to have no players of their own and rely on Premiership dr's, because that is exactly what you are saying, run a club, sell tickets to fans for games to generate your income without knowing who is going to turn up and play?
Were I running Premiership rugby I would be telling the RFU there's no player release when a league game is played, you know like soccer does. Can you imagine the uproar if fans from a Premiership soccer team got the reserves turn out for a crucial league game against bitter rivals.
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 17:02

Not too sure where you get this figure, but the money from the RFU for international duties is shared equally amongst the teams, so even if a club has no players with England, they get the same as the club that provides up eight, which I think is the most one club has provided.
A lot of Premiership clubs stopped signing EQ players as they are never available to play, if you add on the rest days the amount of time England have the players away from their clubs when league games are being played makes £600K seems very cheap to me.

The only thing that the RFU need are 50 players per season to train/play for England.  Because the agreement with the PRL states that England must only select from the Premiership clubs except for special circumstances. 

The 600,000 (actually £550,000, but what's 50k between friends?!) is calcualted as below. 

It is immaterial to the RFU wheather all 50 play for one club or are divided across the Premiership, they are still paying it. The beneficies are the Premeirship clubs as a whole. 

£  220,000,000.00 full amout of PRL deal 
8 over years
 £    27,500,000.00 per year
50 players
 £          550,000.00 per player per year

And if we break it down to per international - say 12 a seasaon, then it is £46k approx.  That is additional to the RFU match fee. 

I don't think this is at all a bargain and I am not alone in that view. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 17:05
[QUOTE=tigerburnie]
How the hell does that work, would you want Cambridge to have no players of their own and rely on Premiership dr's, because that is exactly what you are saying, run a club, sell tickets to fans for games to generate your income without knowing who is going to turn up and play?[QUOTE/]

Not sure where you see my comment about JIFF etc. turning into loan only - I've not participated in this thread yet other than to start it!

However, no. I'd want Cambridge to stay a community team with 4teams, Colts, Mini & Youth, feeding up into our 1st XV squad or encouraging to move higher. We have had some Loan players from Northampton and various returning from injury.

I'll re-read my original post to see if I've led to misunderstanding

Edited by FHLH - 16 May 2023 at 17:14
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 17:08

How the hell does that work, would you want Cambridge to have no players of their own and rely on Premiership dr's, because that is exactly what you are saying, run a club, sell tickets to fans for games to generate your income without knowing who is going to turn up and play?
Were I running Premiership rugby I would be telling the RFU there's no player release when a league game is played, you know like soccer does. Can you imagine the uproar if fans from a Premiership soccer team got the reserves turn out for a crucial league game against bitter rivals.

I have no idea why are referring to Cambridge as you know well this topic is about the Premiership clubs having loan of centrally contracted England players. (Is your argument applicable to Championship clubs who use DRs and have no idea whether they are going to be available when they sell tickets or field teams for important games?)

If you got the seasonal format right there would be no need for England players to miss league games because they would be less of them and England players would be available. Look at Ireland and how they manage their centrally contracted players game time and how succesful both the national team and provinces have been. 

Saracens for example are not going to not play Owen Farrell if offered by England for two reasons - he's a good player (so I keep getting told ;-) and he's a well known name that attracts sponsors etc.  

Remember Wakefield RFC
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 19:43
Posts are clearly saying that it is ok to take away the Premierships best players and loan them back when they deem it is ok to do so. Exactly the same as having a dr player, whether that is a Championship club(I used Cambridge as an example, a newly promoted club, so hypothetically the sort of players that the RFU would want to take away were there not another layer above)or National leagues.
Keeping it to the Premiership if it makes it simple, two teams play in the playoff final, for arguments sake we can say that all English qualified players in these two teams are taken away from their clubs and given new contracts of employment to satisfy the RFU's England's needs. What happens to the two clubs, will they get their players back, will England's coaches demand they want to see new combinations and swap players about, insist they are played in different positions for the benefit of England's plans. What exactly is the benefit for those clubs? Do you really think that would actually happen twice, because the clubs would not hire EQ players having been loquat by the RFU?
Want an example, most recent springs to mind was Sam Burgess placed with Bath, didn't do England any favours, didn't do the player any favours, he went back to RL and Bath didn't benefit either.
The clubs all of them from level 10 up have always brought on the players which have risen through the pyramid, England just harvested the ones at the top with some financial support but nothing else. You plan to take the players away from their teams and coaches , well the last few years could just give you an idea how that has worked.
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 20:13
Do any of those things currently happen in Ireland or New Zealand or Australia or Scotland? Countries where the players are centrally contracted and then play for their club when not playing for their Country?  

In theory the English players would only miss the same time as they do under the current deal. Hopefully a better structured season would mean players would be available for the majority of the club's games. 

The benefits for the club's is they save on the wages - because that ultimately is their biggest expense - whilst still having the benefit of the player. 

Clubs don't seem to prefer EQ players now under the current deal so what difference is there? 

Your last para is interesting as it raises another point. Why are the Premiership clubs the only reciepants of the RFU money when development was done by other clubs outside of the top flight. Currently these clubs are screwed becausr the Premiership overwhelming leaves very little left for the rest of the game and that is wrong on so many counts. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 21:13
I hear what you say Richard, but after the RFU turned their backs on the clubs and left them to sink or swim on their own, it's solely down to the RFU what it does with the money it makes from Twickenham the PRL for all it's faults do not dictate what the Championship, National leagues or anyone else gets from that pot.
The RFU are the body that should have taken a lead on the sport, the PRL are almost solely interested in survival of it's members, sadly the game at the top has drawn in the worst of people to be involved with it.
 I have seen at National league level exactly what happened to Worcester, property developers seeing rugby clubs run by inexperienced amateurs as perfect targets to rob for land for development.
I don't think anyone can make money running a sports team in the UK, soccer is bankrupt with debts in the hundreds of millions, Derby County nearly went under, could another club fall down the leagues and lose their billionaire investors when they get bored? There are a couple of clubs in the rugby Premiership that are close to being sustainable with incomes that don't solely rely on sugar daddies, but I cannot see any of the others coming close to being self sustaining. 
For the RFU to now want to step in and take the players is frankly too little too late. Clubs over paying players because they can, raising all players expectations income wise is bankrupting the game. A proposal this week to not raise the salary cap is seemingly being resisted. There are clubs who want to buy more players on inflated salaries, for something like this to work we would have to introduce the French system where all the books are open, money has to be there at the beginning of the season, not lies and false promises, clubs have to sustainable or they don't play. Trouble is it might be too late to introduce such a system, Saracens refused to open their books and took relegation instead, gives you an idea on how the game is being run.
I don't want 4 franchises like the Irish have with the RFU's favourite getting all the internationals, just so they can try and win a World Cup. I want a vibrant league where fans can go and watch good games, one with merit and reward, all the way through the leagues from the bottom to the top, ring fencing will starve the roots of the game it has to go.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 22:43
The RFU is however spending that 75% of their profit on the International Players and on the PRL sides - giving them each £2m for access to internationals and as funding for the academies.

On top of this, they claim exclusivity for their sponsors, so it is not possible for a company that competes with a European or Premiership sponsor to sponsor the Championship or National league.

That only leaves 25% to spend on all other clubs.

It used to be a 50/50 split, but the executive chose to make the change, and the council does not get a vote and the AGM nods the budget through - as most clubs simply submit a proxy vote.

And that is not to mention the cost of running the RFU, do we really need to pay the CEO more than four times the PM's salary.
Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 11:03
It seems everyone except those at the top are expected to tighten their belts, seems the RFU are judge, jury and executioner sadly.
IonMan View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IonMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 16:39
If it is wrong for RFU to subsidise foreign players then they need a policy of return 10,000 pound to RFU for every foreign player every match he plays in. That would force clubs to focus on English players and would not be restrictive practise.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 21:42
Originally posted by IonMan IonMan wrote:

If it is wrong for RFU to subsidise foreign players then they need a policy of return 10,000 pound to RFU for every foreign player every match he plays in. That would force clubs to focus on English players and would not be restrictive practise.

RAID ON
Thunderbird View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 12:02
Yes CQ, this weeks rugby paper does make good reading. Certainly Barrons piece had me boiling.
SK 88 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 16:04
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

The RFU is however spending that 75% of their profit on the International Players and on the PRL sides - giving them each £2m for access to internationals and as funding for the academies.

On top of this, they claim exclusivity for their sponsors, so it is not possible for a company that competes with a European or Premiership sponsor to sponsor the Championship or National league.

That only leaves 25% to spend on all other clubs.

It used to be a 50/50 split, but the executive chose to make the change, and the council does not get a vote and the AGM nods the budget through - as most clubs simply submit a proxy vote.

And that is not to mention the cost of running the RFU, do we really need to pay the CEO more than four times the PM's salary.

Is worth pointing out that that is a massive undervaluation of what the Premiership clubs provide, RFU revenues are totally reliant on Premiership clubs and their players. The IRFU invest about 14% more of their income into rugby overall, i.e. they run a leaner operation that generates more profit, then of that higher figure invest an even greater proportion into their pro set up.

Premiership clubs also cannot have a sponsor who clashes with the competition sponsors, so while we can debate if that's a reasonable restriction it is not one born by other clubs alone.

The current Professional Game Agreement saved the RFU by passing on all of the risk to the Premiership clubs. This is why the salary cap had to be cut, why such large covid loans were needed to clubs (and none to the RFU) and also destabilised finances in the longer term as PRL had to over distribute its reserves to try and cover for the savage cuts by the RFU.  That over distribution is currently being corrected, meaning central distributions are still bellow 2017 levels.  Entirely thanks to the RFU.

When people ask why are England test players having to go to France it is squarely the RFU's fault.  They reduced their payments to the Premiership massively (by well over £15m collectively), at the time when the clubs had also lost their main source of revenue (matchday revenue is roughly double TV income in most clubs), and also stymied the clubs ability to bounce back as quickly because those TV revenues had to reduce this year to balance out their previous over distribution. 

The RFU should spend MORE on the Pro game as that will help their own national team generate more income for them & the clubs to generate more income from European competitions. 
SK 88 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 16:09
We should also remove England "qualified" player quotas and have more foreigners in the league, who contrary to frankly xenophobic rhetoric are typically cheaper than English players.  This would see the QUALITY of the league increase, which would see the remaining hundreds of English players in the league tested at a higher standard in matches & training and see the quality of the players who actually make the England team increase.

Journeyman pros are incentivised by the current system and absent an injury crisis that takes out the first 15 options in a position doesn't really help anyone.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 18:44
Originally posted by SK 88 SK 88 wrote:

We should also remove England "qualified" player quotas and have more foreigners in the league, who contrary to frankly xenophobic rhetoric are typically cheaper than English players.  This would see the QUALITY of the league increase, which would see the remaining hundreds of English players in the league tested at a higher standard in matches & training and see the quality of the players who actually make the England team increase.

Journeyman pros are incentivised by the current system and absent an injury crisis that takes out the first 15 options in a position doesn't really help anyone.

Definitely not - there are too many foreigners in the Premiership as it is - one reason younger players have to be Loaned/DR to lower league sides to get game time.

It could be time for RFU to look at central contracts for England players - seems to work well for Ireland
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic