National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

U20 World Cup Semifinals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U20 World Cup Semifinals
    Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 20:12
France v England
Ireland v South Africa 
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 20:41
A precursor to the senior men's RWC semis in France perhaps...

Not sure how the draw pans out, but if/when Eng don't go all the way, I hope Ireland do at least!
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 22:00
Originally posted by Se7en Se7en wrote:

A precursor to the senior men's RWC semis in France perhaps...

Not sure how the draw pans out, but if/when Eng don't go all the way, I hope Ireland do at least!

The way the draw will pan out this October, only (a maximum of) 2 of the current world top 5 (Ire/Fra/NZ/SA/Sco) can make the semi-finals...

Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 22:10
That makes it very interesting! Maybe another 2007 edition for England then, somehow getting all the way to the final. Whatever happens, I feel a Northern Hemisphere winner on the cards this time around 🏆 
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 23:05
France should win both competitions, but not too sure they are concentrating, the Boks could just win one of them, I don't think England will.
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 07:35
I hope SA don't win it again. France v Ireland in the 6N this year was one of the best internationals I've ever watched, hope one of them goes all the way this year.
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 08:43
Could realistically be any one from those four that takes the U20 title.

As for the seniors later in the year, it's France for me.  

Even with everything that's happened I wouldn't be surprised to see England go deep into the knockouts, but my heart is telling me they'll do well to get out of the group.

The question is: can Ireland finally break their duck and win a KO game at the world cup?
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 11:14
I think France are head and shoulders above the rest at U20s.

Can't split the best of the RWC proper.

SA had a soft run from their first game to the semi final last time.

No one has that this time.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 15:35
The young Irish lads did well to qualify. 2 of their school mates were killed in accidents in Greece at the weekend. Then the scrum halves dad Greig Oliver a Munster coach was killed in a Paragliding accident on Monday in Cape Town 
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 21:42
Ireland v France in the final. 
France look awesome. But Ireland 2 times Grand Slam winners should make a game of it. 
Highlights ITV4 11.35 tonight 
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 07:53
I managed to watch live streamed yesterday on You Tube.
France looked good. France scored five tries in second half. 
Cauliflower ear.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 08:46
French teams can be 17-0 down and come back and win. 
La Rochelle and now France U20’s
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 14:54
To be fair it's not only French teams that can come back from a seventeen point deficit!
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 14:57
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

To be fair it's not only French teams that can come back from a seventeen point deficit!

Yes but when France are 0-17 down at the world cup, I'll think of this thread.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 13:14
https://www.youtube.com/@WorldRugby/streams

Third-place play-off South Africa U20 vs England U20 @ 3:30pm

Final Ireland U20 vs France U20 @ 6:00pm
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 14:41
Originally posted by Steve@Mose Steve@Mose wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/@WorldRugby/streams

Third-place play-off South Africa U20 vs England U20 @ 3:30pm

Final Ireland U20 vs France U20 @ 6:00pm

Ireland France is live on ITVX should you want to see how far ahead of the rest they are.
French Connection View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 12:21
Any of you that saw the final will have seen that there's only one country that is miles ahead of the rest. After a good start from Ireland when they were actually leading 14-10, France opened up and produced an absolutely extraordinary performance, perhaps the best I've ever seen at that level. I'm pretty confident that France U20 would beat a lot of tier 2 nations, including some that will be at the senior World Cup, and many of their players would make the senior squads of a good many other countries. It reflects the very healthy state that the game is in over here in France - it's never been better at all levels. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 13:34
England should be able to raise a U20 squad where all the players can hold down at least a bench position in a Premiership side.

Surely, if you are good enough to play even Fiji U20, you can face Newcastle, and not be playing Hull, or Harrogate.

But, the Premiership sides are clogged with older foreign players, who are seen as safe bets.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Oldman1 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 14:35
French Connection, given your experience in both England and France what does the RFU need to do to get England to a position where we can compete with France ?
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 14:54
Originally posted by Oldman1 Oldman1 wrote:

French Connection, given your experience in both England and France what does the RFU need to do to get England to a position where we can compete with France ?

(1) Copying JIFF regulations is a start

"JIFF quota rules are increasingly squeezing squad places. Nevermind the average requirement of 16 JIFF-qualified players in every matchday squad, from next season, a maximum of 14 non-JIFF players, including any player who signs on a short-term ‘medical joker’ contract, will be permitted in the overall squads of established Top 14 sides."

(2) Allowing foreign based players to play for England

Edited by FHLH - 16 Jul 2023 at 14:56
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic