National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Jersey Reds - Administration???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jersey Reds - Administration???
    Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 09:25
Some fairly major news out this AM - LINK 
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 09:26
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 09:35
That's a shame.

Gutted for everyone involved.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 09:39
Gosh that’s bad news. I hope with the wonderful facilities you have that some rugby will be sustainable 
Good Luck
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 09:43
I hope they manage to keep playing.

There would be a knock on effect well beyond the club if it folds.
I like most other fans, have already booked our flights and hotels - and while we may be a drop in the ocean of Jersey's tourism, it all adds up.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 09:45
From the Reds web site

Jersey Reds regret to confirm that the club ceased trading at 5.30pm on Wednesday September 27th and is exploring the way forward. However, liquidation appears inevitable unless a solution can be found in the very short term.

The professional side made the move amid a continuing backdrop of uncertainty about the future of English rugby’s second tier, having competed in the RFU Championship for the past 11 years and won the league last season.

The decision came with an admission that the club would be unable to pay September salaries due this week, and would not be travelling to south-west England to fulfil the scheduled Friday night cup fixture against Cornish Pirates.

Reds Chairman Mark Morgan said he was devastated that the move had to be made, but that it had become clear on Wednesday that there was no alternative.

“We had been able to start the season and maintain sufficient funds to cover the summer, but regret that our conversations with potential new investors as well as existing ones have been unsuccessful,” he said. “At one stage at the end of last season it appeared there was a viable way forward for the second tier once the new Professional Game Agreement was implemented from summer 2024, but Championship clubs have been left in the dark since that point and this led to a growing fatigue among those who may have invested, but could not be given any concrete assurance about when the new structure would come in, or how it would be funded.”

Tier two clubs have faced mounting financial challenges since the RFU first advised of major funding cuts in early 2020, prior to the onset of Covid-19. The pandemic then brought further cuts, with the challenging landscape for Championship clubs now having lasted for almost four years.

Mr Morgan said this week’s developments vindicated the 2022 move, supported by club members at an Extraordinary General Meeting, to separate the professional arm of the club from the amateur Jersey Rugby Football Club in order to safeguard the future of amateur rugby in Jersey.

The financial difficulties resulted in an even more difficult situation than the position encountered in November 2016, when cumulative losses made it necessary to raise £1.5million through a sale-and-leaseback agreement covering the club’s assets.

Other details covering the implications of this news have yet to be finalised, but are expected to emerge in the coming days and weeks.

Sweeney Delenda Est
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 09:55
I seem to remember they had a hiccup only a few years ago which seemed to have been resolved very quickly, possibly a pre-arranged restructuring of some sort. Can anyone else remember details of that? 

Here's hoping that this is also a short term issue and that they manage to recover from it. The wording on the club statement does not sound optimistic though. My thoughts are with their people, whichever part of the club.
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 10:09
Terrible shame, but it begs the question of why they were signing players (like Robin Wedlake from Pirates) when they knew the financial situation was uncertain. Again, it's the players and staff who will take the major hit, possibly losing their livelihoods and all the stress that goes with that.
A big blow for clubs due to have home games against them - no doubt CP will take a big hit with our game tomorrow night being cancelled at such short notice.
*Stalwart
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 10:11
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

That's a shame.

Gutted for everyone involved.

Gutted doesn’t come close.
I just hope that it is just us and other Championship clubs are not in the same boat.
Tackle Low!!!!!
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 10:20
This is a real shock, did not see this one coming. But also begs the question as to why for the last couple of years they have been assembling one of the best and likely more expensive teams in the Championship!? They have decent support, facilities and sponsorship and should’ve been capable of being a reasonably self sufficient mid-table championship side. Just beggars belief 

Edited by Bluesman11 - 28 Sep 2023 at 10:21
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 10:21
The good news is that the amateur club is not affected along with the assets I believe.
All sorts of emotions at the moment, but sadness the biggest one
Tackle Low!!!!!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 10:40
Stunned!

I have booked 5 days with my wife in Jersey for the Caldy fixture. We will still be going because we loved our time on the island earlier this year but I will miss the huge conviviality of our time with Islander and Brizzer and all at Jersey RFC.

From what I have read liquidation appears to be inevitable and there is a good reason for this. Rugby is not a sensible business/financial  investment, it is only emotion, community and the generosity of benefactors that keeps it afloat. 

Sadly I am sure there will be more casualties appearing during the course of this season.

I am so sorry for everyone involved and affected at Jersey......despite getting hammered we loved our two matches against them last season.
''The future isn't what it used to be''
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 10:41
Gutted for the Professional Club, its players and supporters.

I hope some resolution can be found.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 10:53
Dreadfully sad news. Always an enjoyable away fixture no matter the result. 
One Club
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 11:10
Notts have been there, done that and bought the t-shirt on more than one occasion- in fact once coming within minutes of the same fate so certainly the players, staff and supporters have my every empathy. 
I went last season as it was a bucket list thing for me and I’m very glad I did. I had a lovely time and even though we usually inevitably got destroyed by Jersey I will be sorry to see them go. 
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 11:35
What I cannot understand is why the RFU let it get to this, yet again.

The club is good enough for England to hold week long training camps at
The club is good enough for the RFU to put money ( it was £100's k) into to improve the facilities, so its good enough for England to hold training camps at.
If its good enough for that, why were they not allowed to take a position the Prem? having won the Champ last year. 
If they take that rightful position, they have 5k crowds in the winter with the likes of Bath, Northampton, Leicester etc. coming to the Island mid winter. It brings a massive tourist trade to the Island
The sponsors then stay, there is an end game, there is an income for many people on the Island that will throw money at the club by being a sponsor. They get a decent deal with Radidasson as the sole hotel to be used by travelling teams, they get the backing of the Island Government and tourism department, because of the footfall they bring through the arrivals lounge and the big part of the GDP the club will be to the Island. But by shutting off this route and not letting Jersey take their rightful (and Ill say that again because it is a fact) position in the Prem the RFU have as good as said "that's it for you, you're not one of our chosen clubs, we will cut off the blood supply and see how long it takes you to die"

This is a total different story to Wasps and Worcester.. this is a club that has been directly let down by the RFU.. 

Wrong very very wrong...

Edited by Scrumtime - 28 Sep 2023 at 11:43
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 11:43
FFS
keep the faith
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 11:51
Shocking news, not something I thought I'd be reading today. 
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 11:54
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

What I cannot understand is why the RFU let it get to this, yet again.

The club is good enough for England to hold week long training camps at
The club is good enough for the RFU to put money ( it was £100's k) into to improve the facilities, so its good enough for England to hold training camps at.
If its good enough for that, why were they not allowed to take a position the Prem? having won the Champ last year. 
If they take that rightful position, they have 5k crowds in the winter with the likes of Bath, Northampton, Leicester etc. coming to the Island mid winter. It brings a massive tourist trade to the Island
The sponsors then stay, there is an end game, there is an income for many people on the Island that will throw money at the club by being a sponsor. They get a decent deal with Radidasson as the sole hotel to be used by travelling teams, they get the backing of the Island Government and tourism department, because of the footfall they bring through the arrivals lounge and the big part of the GDP the club will be to the Island. But by shutting off this route and not letting Jersey take their rightful (and Ill say that again because it is a fact) position in the Prem the RFU have as good as said "that's it for you, you're not one of our chosen clubs, we will cut off the blood supply and see how long it takes you to die"

This is a total different story to Wasps and Worcester.. this is a club that has been directly let down by the RFU.. 

Wrong very very wrong...

Rugby is in crisis but there is little leadership from the RFU.........the Championship clubs have no idea where they are headed......there maybe further casualties 
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Thunderbird View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 12:07
It pains me to say it BE but I fear you may be correct. I never though I would be reading this statement this morning. 
Is this a result in the massive cut in funding from the RFU or the uncertainty of the structure of the Championship going forward. Investors like certainty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic