National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RFU chief executive says game 'on cusp of somethin
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RFU chief executive says game 'on cusp of somethin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RFU chief executive says game 'on cusp of somethin
    Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 23:15
Bill Sweeney: RFU chief executive says game 'on cusp of something quite spectacular'

Rugby Football Union chief executive Bill Sweeney says the game is "on the cusp of something quite spectacular" as it attempts to rebuild after a turbulent period.

Four professional clubs in England have gone bust in the past year - Wasps, Worcester, London Irish and Jersey Reds - while the RFU has also faced a rebellion from the grassroots over the tackle height and its managing of finances.

Sweeney was accused of being "completely asleep on the job" at a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee hearing last year, and told he should consider resigning after Wasps and Worcester went under.

But Sweeney insists he has "the energy and passion" to lead a recovery.

"I came into this role because I am passionate about this game. I do believe we are on the cusp of something quite spectacular here.

"This has been a unique moment in time because of the financial challenges, because of the working relationship with PRL [Premiership Rugby] and our ability to change that relationship over the partnership, to fix the things that have stopped us winning Six Nations Championships on a regular basis, to have more consistently performing England teams.

"The work we are doing with World Rugby around the Nations Cup and the global calendar, that all plays into this as well. And I still feel I have the energy, the passion and the desire to see it through."

However, Sweeney admitted the system "has to change" if clubs are to become more sustainable and England teams are to perform on a consistent basis.

"We have won four Six Nations Championships in 20 years and one World Cup, and that is not what you would expect from us," he continued.

"Regardless of where we end up in this World Cup, the system has to change. That takes us on to the Professional Game Partnership.

"Throughout that period we have had successive management teams in place, and the main, critical, fundamental issues have not been addressed. That is what we are really focused on doing.

"This is a unique moment, and an opportunity in time to get that done, in collaboration with the professional game.

"I don't know how many CEOs we have had in the RFU since 2003. I'm not sure if any head coach has left willingly, every head coach in that period has been fired. You compare that to, say, the Irish model or the New Zealand model, and it's entirely different. There is a continuity and a stability."

In a lengthy briefing, Sweeney added:

• About 25 England players will be signed up to "hybrid contracts", designed to give England boss Steve Borthwick greater control over his players.
  • The establishment of a "One Entity" approach to running the professional game in England, with a beefed-up "Professional Rugby Board" replacing the existing Professional Game Board, featuring figures from the RFU, clubs and independents with an independent chair.
  • The RFU is committed to the new "tackle height" law at community level, but he admitted failings over the communication of the strategy.
  • The Covid pandemic "brutally exposed flaws" in any business models. However, Sweeney said it was not the RFU's role to "prop up failing businesses" like Wasps, Worcester and London Irish.
  • The disaster of clubs going bust has led to better financial modelling and checks and balances.
  • The RFU received no warnings about the financial plight of Championship club Jersey Reds, who filed for administration last week.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 23:48
Premiership £m   Everyone else £0
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 07:21
So out of touch still only interested in England and Premiership 
So many Christians not enough Lions
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 08:09
Sounds a bit like Putin. He doesn't know how many CEOs since 2003 (you would think he should) and now we need continuity. Comrade Sweeney for another 30 unelected years.

Expect the council to be disbanded so that he can rule with impunity.
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 09:56
Clueless. 
One Club
Thunderbird View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 10:03
Yes!!!! and I forgot to mention my massive £680000 a year salary.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 10:21
A bit of pruning at the top whilst the roots lack nourishment and are withering away, not quite as bad as Wales yet where their lower league clubs are cancelling games due to lack of players, but how long before clubs lower down have to throw in the towel?
GreenThrough&Through View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenThrough&Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 10:34
The Premiership clubs have vehemently opposed central contracting in any form for years.

I'd be interest to know the value of the sweetener they are going to get for relaxing their position to allow 'hybrid contracts'.
One For The Ditch View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One For The Ditch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 10:42
Unless there is a concurrent investment in the community/grassroots piece, Sweeny's chat is for the birds. 
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 11:33
Deluded, he has to go !!! 

Where do your prem players come from? Grassroots!!!
Run with it
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 11:37
Bill Sweeney is absolutely correct when he says "we are on the cusp of something spectacular" - spectacularly bad!!
How many times do we have to say that He and the RFU are only interested in England and the Premiership and the rest of the game can go whistle?
Summed it up perfectly for me when there was "furore" that Council had the audacity to raise concerns on the eve of the World Cup "when all our attention should be focused on England and supporting the team"
Hello!................ What we're all focused on is running our own clubs and getting support from what should be our governing body. I do get the fact that it's the international game that brings in 99% of the income and that means supporting the Prem clubs to provide the players so that has to be recognised and funded but not to a level where the rest of the game (2000+ clubs) are totally devoid of any support
So "Hybrid Contracts are the answer" Surely there is only a finite amount of money available so Bill - carry on rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic whilst the rest of us are left to fall overboard! 
SK 88 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 12:49
I think the claim England should "expect" better than more RWC Finals than anyone else in the last 20 years and more 6N victories than anyone else since the expansion in 2000 is arrogant beyond belief.  That arrogance drives a lot of the problems from the RFU.

People here say "they only care about England & the Premiership", I can assure you they do not care about the Premiership, the Premiership is just strong enough to extract money from them during painful negotiations.
HAVANT TONY View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 13:13
I Remember when Bill Sweeney  visited Havant for a game last season and after lunch he gave a  speech and was roundly booed for the tackle height fiasco and then concentrated his speech on England and financial matters at the RFU, next to nothing about the community game!
We had questions to ask at the promised Q&A after his speech but he rambled on until 4 seconds before the match kicked off so no one had the chance to grill him!
I bet that his statement saying they  are on the verge of something  spectacular doesn't mean much to the game at our level and below which is the life blood of English Rugby
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 13:26
Originally posted by rugbychris rugbychris wrote:

Sounds a bit like Putin. He doesn't know how many CEOs since 2003 (you would think he should) and now we need continuity. Comrade Sweeney for another 30 unelected years.

Expect the council to be disbanded so that he can rule with impunity.

Rugby Chris you are spot on. I just dread to think how bad things could get without the persistent strategic and forensic oversight of the RFU Council ensuring transparency and equity !

I have it on good authority that an assertive free thinking RFU Council has prevented English Rugby from trending towards resources being skewed (ever so slightly) in the favour of elite clubs and teams. The RFU Council always diligently scrutinizes the Executive Management and their actions. On the rare occasions when the RFU Executive Management, led by our Bill, inadvertently suggests what could be viewed as an imbalance in the allocation of resources they swiftly act to redress the balance. Without fear or favour these selfless well qualified individuals ensure the actions of the RFU Executive Management are for the good of all the 2,000 + English Rugby Clubs.

I know this to be a fact because a number of RFU Council members have told me so.
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 13:37
I think the Council has about as must power as the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party.
It is theoretically in charge, but in practice can only rubber stamp decisions made by the General Secretary.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 13:47
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I think the Council has about as must power as the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party.
It is theoretically in charge, but in practice can only rubber stamp decisions made by the General Secretary.

Spot on! 

The structure probably never works because it is likely the RFU Executive Management may know how to divide and conquer and butter up the Council members, who may quite like being 'buttered up' by our Bill........'Butter Fingers Bill' has a nice ring to it

In the existing structure the Executive Management have almost no independent check and can act with impunity.........never a good thing. My understanding is that in order to effect change it is the Constituent Bodies that would have to act through the Council. 

Am I correct in my thinking?
''The future isn't what it used to be''
HookerPaul View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookerPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 16:24
Is he having a Liz Truss moment?  She was on the cusp of something spectacular....Briefly!
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 18:00
Deluded.
The older I get, the more the RFU leave me confused.
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 18:53
I remember him addressing the NCA AGM, spoke entirely about England.  Then shortly later all financial support for NCA league teams was withdrawn!!
Funny it must have slipped his mind at the AGM or was he afraid to speak honestly and openly?
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 19:12
Originally posted by GreenThrough&Through GreenThrough&Through wrote:

The Premiership clubs have vehemently opposed central contracting in any form for years.

I'd be interest to know the value of the sweetener they are going to get for relaxing their position to allow 'hybrid contracts'.

Is it possible that the 20/25 centrally contracted players will be outside of the salary cap - leaving some clubs with loads more money in their salary caps?
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic