National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

League Positions 23/24

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: League Positions 23/24
    Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 19:29
As now we have a bit of a “form” guide from the cup competition here is my guess for the 23/24 league positions:

Both won’t have it their own way and will lose a few along the way.
1. Coventry - I think they could do it
2. Trailfinders - Wouldn’t be surprised if they did come top

3. Blues - If we play like we did against Tigers we should be up with the top 2, but it comes down to our away form and playing the “lesser” clubs. Big game first up, home to Ealing!
4. Knights - lost a lot of good player but replaced them with a lot of good players
5. Pirates - Think they may be a little off the top 4 but clear of 6th

You can flip a coin here for the order!
6.Hartpury - dependent on who goes there
7.Nottingham - started off strong and then have faded away the last few seasons
8.Caldy - their scrum didn’t appear as strong last year but their home form will be good

9. Scottish - depends on who gets parachuted in so could be below Ampthill
10. Ampthill - could be above Scottish
11. Cambridge - could be a long season but who knows, could just survive and bonus points are key

Promoted - no one
Relegated - who knows
Date clubs to be told what’s happening in the 24/25 season - 2032 if we are lucky!
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 20:59

Can’t really disagree with that too much. I’m going for a 4 tier approach:

Tier 1 - Champions

1. Ealing. Should be winning every game. May lose one or 2 away to “tier 2” teams but anything but really no excuse not to win the league comfortably 

Tier 2

2. Coventry - Best of rest. May pose challenge to Ealing if can keep key players (Kvesic, Chudley, Pellegrini, Rigg) fit all season.

3. Bedford - Should have much stronger scrum than last season to complement existing exciting back line. Will be less reliant on Saints contingent than previous couple of seasons barring injuries.

4. Doncaster - Some solid signings.

5. Pirates - Partly depends on quality of Chiefs contingent.

Tier 3 - These could really be any order 

6. Ampthill - Solid all round team

7. Nottingham - Best backs of these teams

8. Hartpury - As always, depends on Gloucester link 

9. Caldy - Pack will ensure grind out some home wins in the winter

10. London Scottish - Better than last year

Tier 4 - Bottom

11. Cambridge - Long season.

Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 00:11
I do not know how well Ampthill or Caldy have recruited since they were in Nat 1, but I know Cambridge are stronger than when we last played them.

The game at the fairy dell a week on Saturday will tell us a lot.

Oddly, historically, we win there.
Even in their promotion season, we won 6-13 - in the teeth of Storm David.
However, they usually beat us at Grantchester Rd.

Edited by Camquin - 09 Oct 2023 at 00:25
Sweeney Delenda Est
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 15:22
Caldy have a lot of new signings as players in the North West have gravitated to the Paton Field Stadium but in general these are young players with promise rather than experienced battle hardened Championship regulars.

Yesterday's game at Falcons was somewhat of a testament to that as a lack of experience at Championship level led to somewhat of a drubbing. However, I was very pleased that across the Premiership Cup games pretty much all of Caldy's 1st & 2nd xv squad have picked up some valuable game time against full time sides.

There are some exciting talents coming through and although Caldy and Ampthill are by some distance the smallest clubs in the league I expect them to battle and compete 
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 17:34
My tuppence worth is as follows:

Ealing should win the league but I expect Coventry to push them all the way. It might just come down to how they get on against one another.

I then expect Doncaster, Cornish Pirates, and Bedford to constantly represent a challenge to anyone who plays them.

And that leaves the remaining six clubs to battle it out in the bottom half of the table.

1 Ealing
2 Coventry
3 Doncaster
4 C Pirates
5 Bedford
6 Ampthill
7 Hartpury
8 Nottingham
9 Caldy
10 L Scottish
11 Cambridge

And the sad thing for me is I am not especially over-excited about the new season. It has that "same old, same old" feeling.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 21:26
I think Bedford will probably finish above Pirates, hope I'm wrong!
*Stalwart
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 21:54

Sure, I'll throw one out here.

Tier 1 - Champions

1. Ealing - The key here is whether or not they can be more than the sum of their parts. I'd like to see if they recruit any coaches after the world cup cycle ends.

Tier 2

2. Coventry - From what I've seen, look really strong and have some amazing players. I don't know about their depth.

3. Bedford - Seems like they are not going to take as many dual reg players, which could lead to a more cohesive squad. Between that, and their home advantage, I see them coming in near the top.

4. Doncaster - Played Ealing very close at home, but total thrashing this last weekend. Not sure who will show up.

5. Pirates - We'll see how things go after the crowd funding, but the fact that they are taking a lot of DRs from Ealing is not a great sign. I still think that their professionalism and coaching will keep them above the other teams.

Tier 3 - These could really be any order (I honestly don't see any reason to change this from previous posts).

6. Ampthill - Solid all round team

7. Nottingham - Best backs of these teams

8. Hartpury - As always, depends on Gloucester link 

9. Caldy - Pack will ensure grind out some home wins in the winter

10. London Scottish - Better than last year

Tier 4 - Bottom

11. Cambridge - Long season.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 00:03
Cambridge's chairman is trying to get some clarity from the RFU, because if we can get confirmation there is no relegation the season might be long, but would not be quite so stressful.

We do not want there to be another season going to the last weekend needing to win and Caldy to lose.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 07:21
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Cambridge's chairman is trying to get some clarity from the RFU, because if we can get confirmation there is no relegation the season might be long, but would not be quite so stressful.

We do not want there to be another season going to the last weekend needing to win and Caldy to lose.

I'd assume without Jersey, that would be the case. Like last season in the Prem when Wasps left.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 08:34
Yes, but this is the RFU.
They could decide to cut the numbers to 10.
They could parachute Wasps / Worcester or London Irish back in.
Or move to an entirely franchised model based on financial, not playing, criteria.
Who knows.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 09:09
There should be relegation regardless of Jerseys demise. Although I think it is more likely to move to a 10 team league, and I feel pretty certain Wasps will be invited into that league. I dont think we will see L Irish back again or Worcester.

But sadly "who knows"!!! I was concerned that Sweeney said he would not confirm funding to Championship ( Prem2) until he had agreed funding with Prem 1 . . . which would indicate to me it is what ever is left over rather than a proper assessment of what a club in the Championship/Prem 2 requires!
Run with it
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 13:00
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

There should be relegation regardless of Jerseys demise. Although I think it is more likely to move to a 10 team league, and I feel pretty certain Wasps will be invited into that league. I dont think we will see L Irish back again or Worcester.

But sadly "who knows"!!! I was concerned that Sweeney said he would not confirm funding to Championship ( Prem2) until he had agreed funding with Prem 1 . . . which would indicate to me it is what ever is left over rather than a proper assessment of what a club in the Championship/Prem 2 requires!
I think you mean 'what's left after the gin allowance is extracted'.
I.e., very little.
Our City,
Our Club
Stuartnottingham View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuartnottingham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 13:18
For what it is worth . 

I don't think there will be any relegation from the Championship as some clubs will be invited to join ( possibly Wasps, Irish and Worcester in a 10 team) Prem 2 . 

In which case you have space for 7 teams to be promoted from the Championship. Based on geography, size etc this would be Ealing , Jersey, Bedford , Coventry , Pirates ,Knights and hopefully Nottingham . 

Cambridge , Ampthill , Caldy , Hartpury , Scottish stay in championship to be joined by 5 promoted from National one . 

Nat2 splits into North and South National one . 

Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 13:51
Cannot follow your logic Stuart as currently there are 10 premiership teams and 11 champ teams. I believe there is definitely promotion from Nat 1 this season so there would have to be 2 teams relegated to fit the 2 leagues of 10. Though how any team is going to survive on 9 home games is anyones guess as I would be surprised if the RFU will stump up much if anything
So many Christians not enough Lions
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 14:52
This thread was to predict how each Championship side would fare this season. Somehow it has developed into a discussion about the unknowns surrounding promotion and relegation, and what teams will be where next season. Until the RFU grow up and realise that they have to make decisions, just about everything concerning the future of the Premiership, the Championship, and the boomerang effect this will have on all the other leagues will just remain so far up in the air. All we can do is surmise, and guess. But you can only surmise and guess so much.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 15:06
It's difficult to predict how well Harlequins will do in the Championship this season. Really depends how many London Scottish players are allowed to play!
BigChief View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigChief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 16:11
Just cant resist it can he !
For the ordinary purposes of conversation, a superficial knowledge of many things goes further than an intimacy with one or two.
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuartnottingham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 16:14
They won't need to relegate anyone from the Championship rather some teams will be invited to join the new league which will be Prem 2 . Leaving 5 teams in the old championship. This will be in effect the third level and as such clubs from Nat one will be promoted to make it up to 10 teams . 
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 16:26
Originally posted by Stuartnottingham Stuartnottingham wrote:

They won't need to relegate anyone from the Championship rather some teams will be invited to join the new league which will be Prem 2 . Leaving 5 teams in the old championship. This will be in effect the third level and as such clubs from Nat one will be promoted to make it up to 10 teams . 

I thought the championship as it is now was going to be turned into the prem 2?
So if this is correct, we already have 10 teams in the Prem, 11 on the Championship,  no promotion to the Championship and 1 relegated, if prem 1 prem 2 comes about
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuartnottingham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 16:56
If you can trust the RFU and the new Pro Agreement . I am just saying that , they could create a new second division called Prem 2 which was above the Championship . This way there is no argument about numbers for promotion or relegation . Bill Sweeney has said that we are on the verge of something spectacular. And does anyone really think the RFU are going to give Caldy a million pounds a year . 

If you drop Wasps and Worcester and London Irish into this ( I know it is a bit of a stretch but that leaves only 7 places for the 11/12 Championship clubs . You reorganise Nat 1 promotion to top up the 5 left in the Championship . Bring in the top teams form the 3 Nat 2 leagues and make a North and South Nat one. 

Anyway this is just what I think will happen in answer to who will get relegated . 

As for next season 

1) Ealing money can buy happiness ( Full Time ) 
2) Coventry good set up New Hotel coming, strong team ( Getting ready for Prem ) ( Full Time ish ) 
3) Bedford again good set up ground etc ( Links with Saints I think ) 
4) Doncaster 
5) Pirates
6) Hartpury ( Gloucester ) 
7) Ampthill ( soft spot for Ampthill and strong saracens links ) 
8) London Scottish ( Harlequins / I was at the last game of the season against Nottingham and I think there were more Harlequins players in the squad than Scottish which can't be right . Criminal for Richmond) 
9) Nottingham ( Ties with Leicester ) 
10) Caldy 
11) Cambridge 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic