National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

League Structure 24/25??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 09:22
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

National League Clubs have already told the RFU that they must have 13 home League matches each season to be sustainable. That could be done through 11 League matches and 2 play-off matches.

All of the Clubs in the league need13 home matches, not just those involved in play-offs.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 09:28
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

I'm not sure 2 would work, Nat 1 now is pretty much semi pro, don't think there's enough sides across the Nat 2 leagues who could step up financially. Sadly it's not just about the rugby it's affording the travel now the RFU have abandoned the grass roots of rugby.

Affording the travel is why Nat 1 should be split N & S and, most Clubs in Nat 2 pay their players making them semi-professional. 
All Knwoing All Seeing
WILD BOAR View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 09:46
Agree with you Sid but no doubt this debate will be continued.

kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 10:13
I think in the main, in National league 1,players are on contracts and are paid on a pay per play basis. 
Cauliflower ear.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 18:09
Things we cannot change,

England is an awkward shape.
Clubs are not evenly distributed across the country.
No player likes travel
Players want close matches against a range of clubs.
At gate taking clubs, the Treasurer wants more home games - but players bodies can only take so much.

Cups either mean playing sides you have played in the league, mismatches as you play a side from a league above or travel out of your league's area.

Cups may generate interest in the later stages, but very few sides get there - and they invariably face  more travel. Most sides have a lot of empty weeks.

Now I am not sure that I have any answers.
Sweeney Delenda Est
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 18:28
There will still be levelling when clubs get promoted or relegated and without those what is the point of playing, ring fencing will kill the game it has already contributed to killing the Premiership as a spectacle.
NeverbeentoChinnor View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeverbeentoChinnor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 13:02
I'm with Tiger. Football allows the likes of Luton and Bournemouth into the Premiership and teams like that sow hope for all clubs playing in leagues below. Why do football clubs attract so many more supporters than rugby clubs when the latter product is arguably much more exciting to watch? I think that requires further investigation. 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 15:42
Soccer is the national game, you see hundreds of kids playing on parks every sunday morning, mini's and juniors in rugby is increasing the amount of kids in the sport and will help, rugby has always seen itself as elitist at the top, always has been, most first class games were "by invitation only" and that still seems to exist. An old pal of mine was told he wasn't going to be playing for England because England did not have van drivers playing for them, even though he was head and shoulders the best in his position at the time.
NeverbeentoChinnor View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeverbeentoChinnor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 15:53
Big smile suggest we don't show this thread to Mersey Dockers RFC if they are still going. 
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 16:10
I'm not sure it's the spectacle of the game that has much to do with participation rather than the accessibility of the game. Rugby is a game that requires supervision, clean open spaces and a high level of understanding. You can have fun/do something meaningful with 3 mates and a football in almost any environment. The same cannot be said of rugby.
WILD BOAR View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 16:37
All valid points but this is a League Structure 24/25 thread, so can we keep on that pathway as it will undoubtedly produce much more discussion as the season progresses.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 16:37

There will still be levelling when clubs get promoted or relegated and without those what is the point of playing, ring fencing will kill the game it has already contributed to killing the Premiership as a spectacle.

For financial investment aspects ring-fencing makes sense.

Wasps, Worcester and London Irish are likely to be 3 of the Prem 2 sides - I don't like it but I suspect they already know they will be, hence not playing at all this season.

Cups don't work in rugby, the fiasco of the Pizza Cup tells anyone with a brain that.

14 teams per division gives a reasonable balance, any less and I can see many other clubs going under.
RAID ON
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 17:05
Ring fencing is a plague on the game, it will kill it.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 17:21
I agree tigerburnie it lowers standards and make matches meaningless, look what happened during the 2 years without relegation. If a club cannot live within its means then it should go to a level that it can sustain itself and there should be regular audits (as in France)
So many Christians not enough Lions
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 17:26
There is some talk of European rugby being changed, and it is possible Premiership 2 might eventually get European rugby with TV money. In which case, a 10 team league might make sense.

If not, it needs to be a 14 team league.

All of this is extremely murky. Deals are being done in back rooms.
Including those around Wasps, Worcester and London Irish, though I am not sure if there is enough of them left to even make a single revenant.

I think it is more likely there would be franchise bids for new entrants - possibly with Soccer clubs seeking to get more use from their grounds.
Sweeney Delenda Est
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 13:05
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

For financial investment aspects ring-fencing makes sense.

Wasps, Worcester and London Irish are likely to be 3 of the Prem 2 sides - I don't like it but I suspect they already know they will be, hence not playing at all this season.

Cups don't work in rugby, the fiasco of the Pizza Cup tells anyone with a brain that.

14 teams per division gives a reasonable balance, any less and I can see many other clubs going under.

But surely those people with a brain who can see that cups don't work in rugby can also see that financial investment in rugby doesn't work either? (Not as an investment anyway).

How are you enjoying the Rugby World Cup by the way? Big smile  (Sorry, couldn't resist. I know what you meant!)

Edited by WEvans - 17 Oct 2023 at 13:07
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 15:08
In order to create a sound financial investment, you would need ring-fencing and a strict salary cap.
But Rugby is not American Football, even Soccer pales compared to the finances of American Football, as European TV is not permitted that much advertising.
Sweeney Delenda Est
sedgley dave View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sedgley dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 18:19
Can we agree that rugby, at our level, works? It may not work as a business, but the aims are different. The aim of business is to make money; the aim of a rugby club is to play rugby, for which money is required. 

Week after week, at levels 3 and 4, we see closely contested games, open and fast and clean. Whatever they do in the corridors of power, we must not let them ruin this.

I am with tigerburnie on ring fencing. Have the fence, but there must be a gate in it to allow an ambitious and successful club through, if they're good enough on the field and want it, and to keep the clubs inside the fence honest.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 18:35
Originally posted by sedgley dave sedgley dave wrote:

Can we agree that rugby, at our level, works? It may not work as a business, but the aims are different. The aim of business is to make money; the aim of a rugby club is to play rugby, for which money is required. 

Week after week, at levels 3 and 4, we see closely contested games, open and fast and clean. Whatever they do in the corridors of power, we must not let them ruin this.

I am with tigerburnie on ring fencing. Have the fence, but there must be a gate in it to allow an ambitious and successful club through, if they're good enough on the field and want it, and to keep the clubs inside the fence honest.

Can't argue with that, there are some on other forums who think rugby cannot survive without the RFU, I beg to differ.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 23:46
A thought experiment I would like to do, is what would happen if we said there are no national leagues, every club will play opponents just from their county?

How many clubs would find that an unacceptable fixture list, because they are just too strong for the opposition?

Now, obviously, the Premiership clubs would.
And probably the Championship and current National League clubs.

But could Regional 1 and Regional 2 sides live in a county league.

If the answer is yes, we can dramatically reduce travel, by abolishing those leagues.
Of course, it has to work for everyone - there is no good if it works in Yorkshire and round London, but there being a dozen counties with teams nobody wants to play - as they are too strong.

If it is no, then the current structure is about right.

Once we have established the smallest number of sides that have to play outside their county, then we can look at structures that minimise travel while providing as many sides as possible with an enticing fixture list.

Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic